• 37,311 posts

Posted January 09 2012 - 10:35 AM

Lerner and Loewe’s Magical Musical Classic

Winner of Three 1968 Academy Awards®

CAMELOT 45th Anniversary

Premium Blu-ray™ Book

With a Bonus CD Soundtrack Sampler

Debuts on April 24 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, CA., January 9, 2012 – Camelot -- the musical classic based on the Tony Award®- winning stage production from Lerner and Loewe (“Gigi,” “My Fair Lady”) will celebrate its 45th anniversary this year with a newly remastered Blu-ray™ version, debuting April 24 from Warner Home Video (WHV).

Based on T.H. White’s “The Once and Future King,” this lavish film adaptation recalls a fleeting, mythical time of love and chivalry -- the reign of King Arthur and the Knights of The Round Table. Although torn apart by the conflicts between passion, love, honor and duty, it was a golden era that could have been ... and could yet be. Richard Harris (Harry Potter 1 and 2, Unforgiven) stars as King Arthur, with Vanessa Redgrave (Coriolanus, Letters to Juliet)opposite him as Queen Guinevere and Franco Nero, Redgrave’s current husband (Die Hard 2) as LancelotJoshua Logan directed and Jack L. Warner produced.

Winner of three 1968 Academy Awards® (Best Adaptation Scoring, Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design), this memorable musical contains numerous unforgettable musical numbers, including "If Ever I Would Leave You," "What Do The Simple Folk Do?" “The Lusty Month of May," and, of course, the eminently hummable classic title song.

Camelot will be offered in WHV’s premium Blu-ray™ book packaging ($35.99 SRP) including 36 pages of photos, trivia and more. This disc also features a bonus CD soundtrack sampler, as well as a wide variety of bonus features (see below). Pre-order date is March 20.

Camelot’s Special Features include:

·         All-New Featurette Camelot: The Fallen Kingdom

·         Commentary

·         Camelot: The Castle That Never Was

·         The Story of Camelot

·         The World Premiere of Camelot

·         Theatrical Trailer

CD Soundtrack Sampler:

·         I Wonder What the King is Doing Tonight?

·         Camelot and the Wedding Ceremony

·         How To Handle a Woman

·         If Ever I Would Leave You - Love Montage

Camelot 45th Anniversary Blu-ray Book

Street Date: April 24, 2012

Order Due Date: March 20, 2012

Run Time: 179 minutes

Rating: NR

Price: $35.99 SRP

Catalog #: 1000243855

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

*Academy Awards® and Oscar® are both registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 35 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,810 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 09 2012 - 11:24 AM

Sweet! [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Let's not go to Camelot then, tis a very silly place![/SPOILER]

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#3 of 35 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted January 09 2012 - 02:23 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#4 of 35 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted January 09 2012 - 02:24 PM

Should look pretty good, hope the sound isn't out of sync like the DVD (it was off quite a bit)

#5 of 35 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted January 09 2012 - 11:37 PM

I am positively dreading this release. Warners, over the years has made such a botch of this film. did you know that NEVER has Camelot been released widescreen on home vid with the correct soundtrack? The only version of Camelot to hav the correct soundtrack is the old pan and scan laserdisc. The first letterbox laser used a temp track mix. The dvd has used a remix, for which Warners was told, (by the origial mixer on the fim, Dan Wallin) that they did not have all of the correct materialsto remix this film. The original mix is a four track mix. It would be nice if Warners would search for this before they release the blu ray. What is arong with remix? So much. Wrong vocal takes on songs, wrong background mus,c wrong balance between underscore and dialogue - you name it. Notice that the dvd has a music only track and this does not. Wonder who would do the commentary? Richard Harris is dead, I doubt Vanessa Redgrave cares, and Franco Neros engish was never very good.

#6 of 35 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Advanced Member

• 9,926 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 10 2012 - 12:31 AM

Well, they've had time to do it right. It was announced two years ago as coming in 2012. If it's wrong, it's not because it was a rush job.

#7 of 35 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 12:47 AM

I am positively dreading this release. Warners, over the years has made such a botch of this film. did you know that NEVER has Camelot been released widescreen on home vid with the correct soundtrack? The only version of Camelot to hav the correct soundtrack is the old pan and scan laserdisc. The first letterbox laser used a temp track mix. The dvd has used a remix, for which Warners was told, (by the origial mixer on the fim, Dan Wallin) that they did not have all of the correct materialsto remix this film. The original mix is a four track mix. It would be nice if Warners would search for this before they release the blu ray. What is arong with remix? So much. Wrong vocal takes on songs, wrong background mus,c wrong balance between underscore and dialogue - you name it. Notice that the dvd has a music only track and this does not. Wonder who would do the commentary? Richard Harris is dead, I doubt Vanessa Redgrave cares, and Franco Neros engish was never very good.

Yeah, my engish, she no good neither. I have no idea who'd do the commentary. It doesn't sound like something Vanessa Redgrave would ever do, although it might be fun for them together, seeing as they finally got married after all those years. I think Warners will probably give us a good remastered transfer, but I also dread the soundtrack! Lord, I hope they do not use that mess of a soundtrack they used on the old dvd.

#8 of 35 Douglas R

Douglas R

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted January 10 2012 - 09:03 AM

No mention of an isolated music track as on the DVD.

#9 of 35 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Advanced Member

• 37,311 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 11:24 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#10 of 35 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 11:49 AM

I see WB is using the cover art from the last DVD release (which was voted among the ugliest DVD covers ever)

Considering the original iconic poster art for the film won the illustration of the year award back in 1967 (see above post #4)

Why wouldn't they use it for the Digital book?

Again, no one at WB seems to have ever taken an art class or has any kind of a clue

#11 of 35 Ray H

Ray H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted January 11 2012 - 01:07 PM

Warner actually produced a new bonus feature for this! More than they did for Excalibur. :o
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#12 of 35 ahollis

ahollis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 11 2012 - 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

I see WB is using the cover art from the last DVD release (which was voted among the ugliest DVD covers ever)

Considering the original iconic poster art for the film won the illustration of the year award back in 1967 (see above post #4)

Again, no one at WB seems to have ever taken an art class or has any kind of a clue

It does have that HBO mini-series cover look and is unacceptable in my point of view also.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#13 of 35 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 11 2012 - 04:18 PM

It does have that HBO mini-series cover look and is unacceptable in my point of view also. 

It was on Starz. Too bad about that cover art the poster is great.

facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 35 Craig S

Craig S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted January 11 2012 - 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

Sad thing is, Warner used to use the original poster art for DVDs of classic films during the "glory years" when they were putting out their 2-disc Special Editions and all of those great classic box sets (and they still use original art for the Warner Archive series). It's beyond me why they changed to the CP (Crappy Photoshop) style of cover.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#15 of 35 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 06:06 PM

what could have been

#16 of 35 ajabrams

ajabrams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 06:55 PM

Could someone please explain the point of the bonus "soundtrack sampler" cd? WB seems to be doing this with their major musical releases (it's also on "Meet Me In St. Louis"). It seems to me that if someone wanted a cd of the soundtrack they would want it complete -- not just a few songs. Does WB think this will make people want to buy the complete soundtrack? Considering the vocal abilities of this cast, I'd sooner stick with the B'way cast album anyway. Just wondering....

#17 of 35 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 03:12 AM

Interestingly, the bob Peak Art was NOT used for the original roadshow poster. when the film was cut by half an hor and put into general release, then and only then , was thePeak art first used on a poster. the peak art was on the souvenir book, the music folio, the soundtrack album, eveywhere but on the poster art.

#18 of 35 MatthewA

MatthewA

Advanced Member

• 5,790 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 13 2012 - 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by ajabrams 

Could someone please explain the point of the bonus "soundtrack sampler" cd? WB seems to be doing this with their major musical releases (it's also on "Meet Me In St. Louis"). It seems to me that if someone wanted a cd of the soundtrack they would want it complete -- not just a few songs. Does WB think this will make people want to buy the complete soundtrack? Considering the vocal abilities of this cast, I'd sooner stick with the B'way cast album anyway. Just wondering....

What also ticks me off is the fact that not only do these not add anything new, but they are shorter than the ones that have been commercially available for decades. Especially in cases where elements exist to create more comprehensive versions.

#19 of 35 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Caps 

Interestingly, the bob Peak Art was NOT used for the original roadshow poster.
when the film was cut by half an hor and put into general release, then and only then , was thePeak art first used on a poster.
the peak art was on the souvenir book, the music folio, the soundtrack album, eveywhere but on the poster art.

Joe, the Bob Peak art was used for the roadshow release poster.  For the general release they used the poster with the tinited photos (I'll post them later) for the 1973 re-release they used a modifed verision of the original roadshow poster (I'll post those also)

#20 of 35 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted January 13 2012 - 03:13 PM

When I was a kid, I wore out my LP of Camelot listening to Burton, Andrews, and Goulet singing those wonderful songs. Than I saw this movie and I asked "what were they thinking?" Technically this is a well done movie. It would have been nice if Guenevere and Lancelot could sing. BTW, was Nero a box office draw at the time? I had never heard of him before. Why else would they cast him in the role?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users