Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Denon AVR3312CI vs Onkyo TXNR809 ??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   aselkapa

aselkapa

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted January 08 2012 - 12:31 AM

I am planning to buy a 7.2 channel receiver and was considering Denon AVR3312CI or Onkyo TXNR809. I am confused as to which one to purchase. Can you guys help me figure out? I am totally new to this AV receiver thing having always used HTib stuff Thanks in advance

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Mr645

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts
  • LocationBoca Raton, Florida

Posted January 08 2012 - 01:08 AM

I might lean toward the Marantz SR6006 at that price point. But look at features as well, make sure you get the features you will use and try not to pay for features you won't.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,732 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 08 2012 - 02:51 AM

What speakers are you using and what else will be hooked up to it? Do you need that Apple Air-Play thing? Do you need a smaller chassis? In addition to the Marantz 6006, have you considered the Yamaha RX-A1010 (or last years 2000) and the H/K 3650? If you have settled on the 809 or 3312 then down-load both manuals and give them a quick peek. Might be something in one of them that scares you. And buy from an authorized dealer to protect the warranty.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   aselkapa

aselkapa

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted January 08 2012 - 07:40 PM

I am planning to buy bowens and wilkins speakers/subwoofer. Air Play is not a big deal. i know Denon has it and Onkyo doesn't. But if Onkyo is better, I can always buy the apple TV, not a big deal and not the deciding factor Smaller Chassis - well yes, but medium size is OK. I don't want it to be too big :) I haven't considered anything other than Denon and Onkyo, but since you mention it, will give the models you mention a look I will download the manuals and have a look - not sure if I will understand anything though w.r.t specifications :) Sure, will buy it from an authorized dealer only

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted January 08 2012 - 10:56 PM

I am planning to buy bowens and wilkins speakers/subwoofer.

Any reason why the B&W sub? There is no reason your sub has to match the rest of your speakers and internet direct sellers give you a much better value.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   aselkapa

aselkapa

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 09:12 AM

no reason... they look stylish :) as they are circular....... i was also planning to look at velodyne

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted January 10 2012 - 01:37 PM

no reason... they look stylish :) as they are circular.......

Looks don't equal performance. Once the lights are off and the movie is playing, you won't see it anyway.

i was also planning to look at velodyne

Try SVS, Elemental Designs, Hsu Research and Epik Suwoofers. All make very high performance subs for the same or less than the two you are considering. If you were looking at the more expensive models, then I'll add Seaton Sound Labs into the mix.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   aselkapa

aselkapa

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the advise.... Will look into the models

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   CanuckInHouston

CanuckInHouston

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 02:18 PM

Hi All While I have not owned a Denon, I have worked with their gear, and helped numerous friends setting them up. I like their stuff, and am looking at the AVR-3312CI for my second HT system. I have, however, owned a couple of Onkyo items: TX-SR805 receiver and a PR-SC885 Pre/Pro. Both Onkyo's have died/exhibited problems with 3 years of ownership: The receiver does not output LFE signal (only discovered it recently when I wanted to add a Sub to my second system), and the Pre/Pro quit processing HDMI input on me. Apparently these are both known/common issues. I won't buy Onkyo again. Cheers russ

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   CanuckInHouston

CanuckInHouston

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 02:22 PM

Sorry - forgot about the Sub info... You can get a Rel T2 for $500 (at Vann's or Amazon)... so long as you're OK with Black! ($700 if you want Cherry). The B&W PV1 (which is the sub I assume is being mentioned above) looks kinda neat, but does not seem to perform all that well. I was looking at it for my second system, using B&W M1's and (probably) the AVR-3312CI Good luck! russ

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   jlettie

jlettie

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 08 2012 - 04:08 AM

:):):)Hi I can only suggest you buy the Onkyo TX-NR809. It is a more reliable unit. It will put out the power especially for power hungry speakers like the Polk RTA7s which I own. It is easier to program. The most important reason I would choose Onkyo, I have a friend who is a manager at one of the larger Best Buy stores. He told me since Christmas 45% of the top end Denon receivers have been returned for reasons as: broken HDMI input,speakers will not work when connected to the receiver,cracked board etc. As you know Denon and Marantz are owned by the same parent company. The Marantz products are far superior than Denon. If you were considering Marantz, the Marantz SR7005 is a very good product,but a little pricey. I cannot tell you how spend your money. If there is an A/V store in your area listen to all three units and make up your own mind. GOOD LUCK