-

- - - - -

Joe Kane Education Series: 3D Flat Panels and 3D Calibrations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE  

• 0 posts

Posted January 05 2012 - 05:36 PM

This is the third in our Joe Kane Education series of videos.  In my opinion this series has information that is relevant to the largest audience, 3D flat panels.

Following on his previous discussions regarding active 3D glasses and passive 3D glasses, Joe discusses why some flat panel manufacturers are trying to come out with a flat panel display technology that will allow for passive glasses.  The main reason being is that consumers are not thrilled with some of the side effects of active 3D glasses.

• Cost
  • Battery life
  • Weight
  • Flicker
In this series Joe discusses the two current types of 3D technology on the market, active panel and FPR (Film Pattern Retarder).  FPR uses passive glasses, thus removing the issues that many have with active glasses.  While you might think this is reason to run out and by a FPR set, Joe goes over why you might want to think twice with the current technology, particularly the loss of resolution.

Joe also talks about future technologies that are coming out (Samsung demonstrated RDZ technology late in 2011).

At the end Joe talks about calibrating a 3D set.  When I calibrated Adam's Panasonic 3D Plasma, I couldn't really calibrate for 3D because there were no patterns.  While there currently isn't a disc out, Joe talks about the work he has done with Spectracal/AVFounder in providing 3D images for their AV Foundry VideoForge Digital Video Pattern Generator.  Joe and Stacey Spears are both working on 3D Blu-Ray discs that when they become available we will be reviewing for members.

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

If you wanted to be fully educated on 3D flat panels, this interview is a must see!

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted January 08 2012 - 10:39 AM

Kevin, these are awesome! thanks for posting them. Gregg

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current