What's new

WORST films of 2011 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I know, we always talk about the best, but here are some of my worst. Not necessarily in order.

1. Your Highness - One of the worst films I've ever been convinced to watch. Bad. Real bad.

2. Just Go For It - Adam Sandler might have a worse film with Jack & Jill, but this was so bad it made me skip that one.

3. Season of the Witch - blew it's advertising budget with commercials during the super bowl. It needed all the help it could get because wow..

4. The Dilemma - One of the most mean spirited unfunny films I've seen marketted as a comedy(?) I have no idea what this was and my commentary in the review and discussion threads lay that out.

5. Rubber- Whoever convinced me to rent a film about a TIRE with psychic powers that kills people... this could have been oddly funny. Except it wasn't.

6. What's Your Number. Maybe one of the most offensive concepts I've seen come about in a while, in which Anna Farris plays a dingbat who regrets having slept with 20 men, and thinks that's the key why she's unhappy. Instead of going for something original, it goes completely paint by numbers and is HORRIFICALLY unentertaining.

7. Hall Pass - Um, no.

8. Sucker Punch - totally nonsensical gibberish. The effects were also not very good (IMHO)

9. Green Hornet - I think this came out in 2011. Worst comic book movie of the year (BY FAR)

10. No Strings Attached - Natalie Portman goes from a great role last year to two horrible choices this year.

Films I won't include because I had sense enough not to watch: Jack & Jill, New Years Eve, Valentine's Day, Human Centipede 2, Aurthur, Sanctum, Final Destination 5

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Couldn't agree more with your choice for #1. I've tried to warn people as much as possible to avoid it.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
what about the conan the barbarian remake. boy did that one suck. Jacob

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head and in alphabetical order, Apollo 18 felt endless and it was less than 80 minutes, The Roommate was unsurprisngly terrible and Sucker Punch which tried to hide, rather than embrace, its exploitive nature with a BS female empowerment message were the worst things I saw this year.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by TheBat

what about the conan the barbarian remake. boy did that one suck.
Jacob

Yeah, I can't comment on that one because I avoided it ;) I couldn't let him in that role hurt as much as I thought he had a good performance in Game of Thrones.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Films I won't include because I had sense enough not to watch: Final Destination 5
I'm not saying that Final Destination 5 is a good movie but I was surprised how much I ended up enjoying it. You have to like the kind of movie that it is but the 3-D is good & boosts the ridiculous moments onscreen and the creative folks clearly embraced how silly the movie is. In short, I'm definitely not recommending that anyone go out and see FD5 but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I am lucky. Missed all of these except Sucker Punch...and it did indeed suck. The worst movie i paid to see in a theater was Transformers 3. But, it was better than Sucker Punch!

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Well, someone must have put something in my cherry ICEE, because I laughed my head off at Your Highness. Portman was good in it, and not just because of the bathing scene. ;) Apollo 18 was interesting from a technical point of view, and had a great premise, but totally fell apart by the second half.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SilverWook said:
Well, someone must have put something in my cherry ICEE, because I laughed my head off at Your Highness.
I just bought Your Highness for my friend for Christmas so there's at least two people out there that like it. Overall, I found bits of it funny but other parts didn't work at all for me.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
THE HOWLING REBORN and RED RIDING HOOD were pretty bad but I'm probably going to go with TRANSFORMERS. Hey, I played with the toys when I was a kid and I'm not a Michael Bay hater (hell, I enjoyed PEARL HARBOR) but for the life of me I can't understand why people went to this movie after the second film. I honestly feel my brain getting dumber and dumber each passing minute and I just don't see how people can be entertained by this mess. I love bad movies with a passion but a 150-minutes with a bad movie is just horrid.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
...and RED RIDING HOOD were pretty bad...
I was going to watch Red Riding Hood via On Demand this weekend but didn't bother. Of course, I won't learn from your mistake and not watch it because now I have to see if it's as bad as you say. And I had forgotten about Transformers 3 but that would make my worst-of list too.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Red Riding Hood wasn't that bad..... THAT BAD... lol.... I am so glad I skipped out on most of them. I too was suckered into sucker punch. What a waist of time and movie. Ugh.

Brian.L

Supporting Actor
Out of what I saw, I'd say the worst were (alphabetically):

Conan the Barbarian - bad bad bad and fake Rachel Nichols nudity

Final Destination 5 - didnt find the ending or anything about this remotely clever

Passion Play - Megan Fox as an angel
Priest - so glad to see Paul Bettany in "Margin Call" after this and "Legion"

Red Riding Hood - Twilight w/werewolves (the new Twilight movie might belong on here too but I haven't seen it so who knows)
Rio - this is what Ice Age hath wrought
The Rite - Anthony Hopkins needs to pay the bills. also, BORING

Sucker Punch - be careful what you wish for, fanboys...turns out CGI nazi samurai zombies aren't all that cool after all
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - honestly, even worse than I expected

Didn't watch any of the terrible Sandler or Madea comedies, or the "ensemble" movies (New Years Eve, Valentine's Day) because at least you can laugh at Red Riding Hood.

Along the same lines...maybe not terrible, but at least overrated:

Another Earth

The Beaver

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

The Whistleblower

Cold Weather

Meek's Cutoff

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'll need to go through my list, though this topic title should be "the worst films I actually had to misfortune of sitting through when I should have left by the first act". LOL.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Mars Needs Moms truly sucked. At least I paid for it for the kids on demand. Sucker Punch fell into that category as well.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you who say Conan, I gather you haven't seen The Immortals? Conan was a solid barbarians movie -either you like Sword and Sorcery or you don't. For those of us who like this kind of movie, it was pretty good. The Immortals - worst movie I saw last year. As a provisio though, I generally only go to the big screen to see effects movies. Anything other, I'll wait for home viewing. Let me list the reasons why the Immortals is loatheable...Spoilers ahead.... 1) No internal logic. The movie shows roughly 25-49 (rows of 5x5 to 7x7) titans, the bad guys, locked up in a jail to start the movie. This is the whole band of titans. By the end of the movie, probably over a 100 have died, and literally thousands more are fighting in the heavens. Where did the rest come from? In Olympus, there are 8 gods including one female (Athena). When Zeus brings down his gods to fight the titans, he brings six. To fight an untold number of titans, putting themselves at odds greater than 10:1. At the end, after his few gods are killed, there is a scene of thousands of gods fighting the titans. Stupid. They sure weren't in Olympus. 2) The titans are identical. Every single titan is the exact same. You had more differences in Star Wars stormtroopers due to height differences. 3) I never knew ancient Greece had such a great fortress. Remember the Black Gate in Return of the King? Psshhh, a tinkertoy. The wall of the fortress in this movie is a few hundred feet thick from the external view. From the internal view, the wall is over a 1000' thick. I kid you not. The good guy had to run blocks inside the wall to reach the bad guys. 4) The bad guy is a BAD GUY. Oh, he is so bad...yeah, real bad. He is a normal man, a great fighter, but not someone who is Darth Vader impossible to defeat, no magic. A normal knife in the back would kill him. I say this because he is horrible to his own men even. He kills his captains at the drop of a hat. No one would serve a normal man like this - he benefits no one. You'd have to see it to believe it. No logical reason for his actions or staying alive. A few nice visuals don't make up for a poor plot, lack of internal logic, and at best average dialogue and acting. If we were to compare sophistication and appeal, Conan would be Cary Grant while this movie would be Pauley Shore or Rob Schneider. And this is coming from the target audience.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Wow, I've actually seen a few of those! (Didn't Valentine's Day come out in 2010? At any rate, it got me to miss the sequel.) The Dilemma -- More of a drama than a comedy, really. It was OK. Hall Pass -- Standard Farrelly Bros. fare. It was OK. No Strings Attached -- I found it kind of harmless; nothing special. In other words, it was OK. Detect a trend? :) I will say that the most overrated movie of the year had to be Bridesmaids. It was funny, but also too long, and the story was lame (which wasn't helped by a fairly unlikeable protagonist). A film not yet mentioned. . .Battle: Los Angeles was pretty stupid.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Wow, I've actually seen a few of those! (Didn't Valentine's Day come out in 2010? At any rate, it got me to miss the sequel.)

Yes, it did. Don't think "New Year's Eve" was really a sequel, though. Semi-remake? Sure, but I don't think it uses the same characters...

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
BRIDESMAIDS won't be at the bottom of my list but it will be #1 on the WTF list. I still don't know what people saw in the movie. A decent time killer but I didn't laugh, which isn't good in a comedy. I watched APOLLO 18 over the weekend and it's at the bottom as well. A real shame because the idea should have made for a good movie but the way it was made was just the pits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks