What's new

Casablanca 70th Anniversary Limited Edition Box Set (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
http://www.amazon.com/Casablanca-Anniversary-Limited-Collectors-Blu-ray/dp/B006BG7RI0/ref=xs_gb_20_left-3_6_B006BG7RI0?pf_rd_p=451293501&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1CN58QVM60BE3D7AA7QP The new Casablanca set is up for preorder at Amazon. No release date yet. There is a video showing what is in the set. You get 2 blu ray discs , one for the movie, the other for extras. Also a DVD for the movie. It comes with a poster, 4 coasters, and a 60 page book. List price is the same as Ben Hur, $64.99. I don't see a listing for the extras on the extras disc yet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This has not been officially announced yet though we

expect a press release shortly.

I did want to let all of you know that I spoke with the

studio recently about this release. There has been a

significant amount of money and effort poured into
remastering this title since it's last Blu-ray release.

I am being told that the efforts resulted in what the

studio felt was a remarkable improvement.

There was great concern about re-releasing this title

without there being a benefit to consumers who
already had purchased it previously on Blu-ray.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
I hope there is an option for those who just want the improved Blu-Ray, and have no need for a DVD, coasters, posters, or a giant box that's difficult to shelve.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Coasters. For the love of God.

If the transfer itself earns kudos from the reviewers I trust, then I'm in for a discs-only release, even if I have to wait a bit for it to materialize.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
As this is probably one of my top 10 favorites, I'll be on this one in a heartbeat , even though I have the last collector's edition as well as HD-DVD.

Can't wait! The last release looked more digital, less filmlike and had dnr artifacts. Also, a lossless mono track would be awesome!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Chas in CT said:
Coasters.  For the love of God. If the transfer itself earns kudos from the reviewers I trust, then I'm in for a discs-only release, even if I have to wait a bit for it to materialize.
There is always the UK. If the past is any indication, Warner has been issuing movie and extra only sets of what has been big box only releases in the US. Warner Bros releases have also been region free. There is also the possibility that Target, Best Buy, or Walmart will have an exclusive movie only edition. I don't think there will be a long wait for a movie only or a movie plus extras edition.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
I am being told that the efforts resulted in what the studio felt was a remarkable improvement. There was great concern about re-releasing this title without there being a benefit to consumers who  already had purchased it previously on Blu-ray.
The last time I watched my blu-ray, I thought the movie looked great and I'm wondering how much better they could make it? I too share the studios concern about "there being a benefit to consumers" who have already bought the blu-ray. Perhaps they could do some sort of discount to current owners. I'm really skeptical they can improve the movie so much that I'll feel I have to have it.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Johnny Angell said:
The last time I watched my blu-ray, I thought the movie looked great and I'm wondering how much better they could make it? I too share the studios concern about "there being a benefit to consumers" who have already bought the blu-ray. Perhaps they could do some sort of discount to current owners. I'm really skeptical they can improve the movie so much that I'll feel I have to have it.
They can lay off of the massive image manipulation and present something that at least looks like film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

They can lay off of the massive image manipulation and present something that at least looks like film.

I thought the last BRD looked fine.

Crawdaddy

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I thought the last blu-ray of Casablanca looked just about perfect. The film is very clean of course, but the grain looks just about right, and I've never noticed any artifacts. Nothing there to complain about, and I'm not really sure what they could do to improve it, unless they consider removing the grain to be an improvement. I must say I'm always amused when they save a whole blu-ray for just the movie, particularly a film with the running time of Casablanca.The previous blu-ray, the movie takes up about 14 gigs, but even with the bitrate maxed out, it would take up just a little over half of a BD50. Doug

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
with the thousands of unreleased films that WB owns, and a good release of Casablanca already out there? I'm not really with the program even for the sake of humor on this one...Love the film. But enough is enough. Get us a Danny Kaye boxed set of blus instead.:P

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
benbess said:
with the thousands of unreleased films that WB owns, and a good release of Casablanca already out there? I'm not really with the program even for the sake of humor on this one...Love the film. But enough is enough. Get us a Danny Kaye boxed set of blus instead.:P
I agree, but unfortunate its a matter of what sells. Another version of Casablanca will move large numbers of units, a Danny Kaye set won't. Doug

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
benbess said:
Are Danny Kaye movies now owned by Warners?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Robin9

Are Danny Kaye movies now owned by Warners?

Certainly not all of them. Paramount would own The Court Jester, and doesn't MGM have Hans Christian Andersen? Those are certainly the two I'd want on Blu-ray.

Fox put On the Riviera out on DVD in their Marquee Musicals series.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This transfer will have to show a very noticeable improvement for me to bite on an upgrade over the existing BD, as I am quite satisfied with the current disc. And I will definitely wait for a non-"Box 'o Crap" release, as I did the last time with Casablanca.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure which disc you guys are watching but the current BD of Casablanca doesn't look like any 35mm film I have ever seen. It looks like video, pretty much exactly like Warner's previous master of Citizen Kane. Are we now OK with mastering vintage films with significant image manipulation (noise reduction and sharpening techniques) in the digital realm? Because I thought from the controversy surrounding Citizen Kane we weren't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks