Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question about DOCTOR DOLITTLE 1967 German bluray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted January 01 2012 - 12:42 PM

Does anyone know if this will play on region 1 players?

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 01 2012 - 05:42 PM

It is region B only. A better region coding for this German Blu-ray would be for it to play in no regions - it's one of the ugliest transfers I've ever seen - completely brown, muddy, soft and looking nothing like it should. Other than that, it's Doctor Dolittle. :)

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,580 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 02 2012 - 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by haineshisway 

It is region B only. A better region coding for this German Blu-ray would be for it to play in no regions - it's one of the ugliest transfers I've ever seen - completely brown, muddy, soft and looking nothing like it should. Other than that, it's Doctor Dolittle. Posted Image

It's awful to contemplate that we might get this same Blu-ray transfer here at some point this year. The DVD looks quite marvelous, so I was hoping for a spectacular Blu-ray. Most discouraging if this is the fate that awaits a U.S. release.

#4 of 10 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,851 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 02 2012 - 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by haineshisway 

It is region B only. A better region coding for this German Blu-ray would be for it to play in no regions - it's one of the ugliest transfers I've ever seen - completely brown, muddy, soft and looking nothing like it should. Other than that, it's Doctor Dolittle. Posted Image

Thanks for confirming this.  I had heard that it was a very poor transfer, but needed an expert to confirm.  I hope Fox loses the transfer before they release the title in the states.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted January 02 2012 - 10:38 AM

A better region coding for this German Blu-ray would be for it to play in no regions - it's one of the ugliest transfers I've ever seen - completely brown, muddy, soft and looking nothing like it should. Other than that, it's Doctor Dolittle. :)

That made my day :) This one is very high on my list of Blu-Ray large format blunders and only a notch below El Cid, Spartacus and Fall of the Roman Empire imo. I give the people who released it credit for not trying to make it prettier with boosted colors and noise reduction but that is about it. There is also a release from the same company of Legend of the Lost that is definitely from the same master as the HD airing on MGM HD but as expected it looks a bit better.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 02 2012 - 12:30 PM

I suspect that when Fox gets around to this they will do it right here. I'm sure that in Germany they used some ancient transfer they had sitting around - it looks nothing like the DVD Fox released here.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,580 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 02 2012 - 02:07 PM

From your description, it sounds quite a bit like that abominable transfer of the Todd-AO Oklahoma! that Fox gave us several years ago. That was a nightmare, too.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 02 2012 - 02:29 PM

Oh, this is MUCH worse :)

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   marsnkc

marsnkc

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted January 02 2012 - 03:34 PM

Another of those weird conincidences for me! The price of the most recent 'M' (member Torsten Kaiser had a hand in the restoration) just dropped at Amazon.de, so I was going to use this as an excuse to also pick up wish list items 'Die Sunderin' and 'Doctor Dolittle'. That nasty 14Euro standard shipping rate prevented me from hitting the 'buy' button a mere hour ago..........thank heaven! Then I see this thread! Dropping Dolittle (seems like another 'One Eyed Jacks' job) means I'll have to wait even longer to build up a want list to amortize the shipping cost.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted January 02 2012 - 04:59 PM

I saw Dolittle in TODD-AO at the United Artists theater in Detroit when it first came out and the TODD-AO picture was something to behold. A proper bluray transfer from 65mm elements should produce quite an impressive image.