-

Photo
- - - - -

Today's Woot Deal: Canon EOS Rebel XS -- $399

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 01 2012 - 05:59 AM

Should I?

I'm leaning towards it.  I've wanted a cheap entry-level way into DSLR photograp0hy and that pricepoint is doable for me today.

Without getting into a huge debate about the differences of the various DSLR manufacturers and all, I guess the only question is:  is this a good price for this product.

And/or:  woulde you steer me away from it because of problems of which I'm not aware?

Thanks!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 01 2012 - 08:53 AM

Well...after lots of soul searching (mostly internet searching, actually...).  I decided to pull the trigger.

I now only need people to say how great a deal this was and how happy I'll be with the camera.  Posted Image

My history is that I shot for years and years on an Olympus OM-10 and was more than happy with those results.  Since the evolution into digital photography happened at exactly the same time as my kids growing into adults, I hadn't felt an urgency to upgrade.

My wife and I have gone through any number of digital point & shoots.  We currently have a Sony CyberShot which is the closest thing we've ever had to a  DSLR...but still...just a point-and-shoot.  Especially lousy flash photos.

So...I'm really looking forward to this.  I decided that even though this model represents "old technology" it is still light years above anything I've ever had and will likely get me back into some really terrific picture taking.  And, at a pretty affordable (cheap!) pricepoint.

Some of the Woot members have pointed out a fixed 50mm lens that is cheap but extremely well-regarded.

And some great reviews:  KenRockwell.comCNET.com and others...including DigitalCameraReview.com.

And it looks like accessories (batteries, grips, etc.) can be had rather cheaply.

Remember.  Only nice things about the camera!  Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 01 2012 - 08:55 AM

Here's a 10 minute YouTube review which gave me a pretty good sense of what I'd be getting.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,495 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 01 2012 - 09:02 AM

Congrats on making the decision to buy. Having a background with an SLR will certainly help you make the transition from the point and shoot. I would only say don't expect miracles with the built-in flash. It is more powerful than the one in the point and shoot, but is still subject to the same limitations as any bulit-in, direct flash. When you are ready, you will want to get an external flash and start bouncing your flash bursts to get more pleasing, directiona light in your photographs.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 01 2012 - 09:16 AM

Thanks, Cameron.

It seems like there is no shortage of flash attachments which would do just that...some of them not too expensive.

Another concern I had was comparing the Canon to my old Olympus.  The OM-10 was all metal and built like a Mack truck.  I keep reading about the all-plastic construction of these cameras and lenses and worry a little bit...

Personally, I hate flash photography...only because I'm not very good at it.  In fact, flash attachments was one of the things I went looking for before I pulled the trigger.  The OM-10, of course, had no built-in flash (I believe I purchased it in the early '80s)...and I went through a number of different flashes (all plastic construct, of course! Posted Image ).   I guess one which would allow me to bounce the flash is what I will really need.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 01 2012 - 10:06 AM

Congrats, Mike. For the price, that is a decent starter dSLR. The kit lens, while not well-built or fast, offers pretty good image quality at its price. Since you are familiar with photography from your Olympus film SLR, you should be able to make the transition quickly to a dSLR. I would recommend getting used to shooting in the manual modes (M, TV and AV) and RAW picture format as quickly as possible, and you should get good results very quickly. Canon's included Digital Photo Professional software does an excellent job in converting RAW files to JPEG. I use it for probably 95% of my RAW conversions, and only go to Photoshop Elements for the rare occasions I need some advances tools. I'll echo Cameron's comments about the built-in flash. I only use mine when I need some fill flash and I do not have my external flash unit. I do not do a lot of flash photography, but still think an external flash is an essential part of any dSLR kit. I would recommend that as one of the first things to add, especially since the lens that came with your camera will not do well indoors without flash.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,623 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 04 2012 - 08:46 AM

The tamron 28-75 f2.8 might be a nice match to that since you actually know how to get out of program/green box mode. =)

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 04 2012 - 03:59 PM

But Sam...it looks like that lens is going to cost more than the camera itself!  Posted Image

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  But the reason I picked this camera was because I needed to get back in the game on the cheap!  Posted Image

One of the things I liked about the Olympus that doesn't seem to be in play with any other SLR or DSLR I've ever seen was that in the viewfinder you saw an analog meter that showed you what the shutter speed was going to be based on the amount of light and what your f-stop setting was.  Is that particular way of taking images possible in other cameras?  Posted Image

Oh.  And I just got word the camera has just shipped and is scheduled to arrive on Saturday! 

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,623 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 05 2012 - 01:51 AM

Not sure about the cheapy canons but my nikons either showed that in the viewfinder or allowed you to have the back panel display it in real time via the info button. And I get ya on the price, but it's the razor/blades thing all over here. The camera is -supposed- to be the cheapest part of the package, it is the part that should be replaced most often if you are buying quality glass that will last a lifetime if well cared for,

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,495 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 05 2012 - 01:55 AM

There's no analog meter, but there should be a linear metering scale and f-stop and shutter speed info.

One of the things I liked about the Olympus that doesn't seem to be in play with any other SLR or DSLR I've ever seen was that in the viewfinder you saw an analog meter that showed you what the shutter speed was going to be based on the amount of light and what your f-stop setting was.  Is that particular way of taking images possible in other cameras?  ../../img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 05 2012 - 11:59 PM

There's no analog meter, but there should be a linear metering scale and f-stop and shutter speed info.

Yes, most of the relevant exposure information, as well as a meter scale, should be shown in the viewfinder. At least it is in the last two Canon's I've owned -- a 40D and now a 7D. In my old Rebel XT, the only information that was missing was the ISO speed. That information was available only on the top LCD display and in the menu display on the rear LCD. I believe Canon added the ISO setting to the viewfinder in later Rebel models. They did get rid of the top LCD display in the newer Rebels, though.

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,751 posts

Posted January 06 2012 - 02:54 AM

Aw crap, I have a XSi and a couple of lenses (the kit 18-55mm IS F/3.5-5.6, and a refurbed 55-250mm IS F/4-5.6) that I would have let go for about the same price point as the XS deal itself. Plus, whatever extras I picked up for the XSi (some extra batteries, and maybe a 3rd party flash unit. I need to find a good home for my starter dSLR camera and lenses...
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 06 2012 - 03:20 AM

I KNEW I should have thrown a WTB thread in the photography section at one time or another....  Posted Image

Hey Patrick...now that you've completely bummed me out...would you be willing to separate out just the 55-250 lens?  And maybe that 3rd party flash?  Posted Image

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,751 posts

Posted January 06 2012 - 04:16 AM

I think I have have a nifty-fifty (50mm F/1.8 II) that I'm not using anymore. I'll have to go through all my gear and see which peices of gear needs to find a new home. I'll try to post some details up over the weekend (or at least by next Monday/Tuesday).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 07 2012 - 02:36 PM

It...has...arrived.

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

What fun!   And now the learning process begins!

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted January 07 2012 - 03:20 PM

That is a great deal and I'm sure you will enjoy it. I have been looking to buy a couple new lens for my camera.

Currently looking at the following lens:

Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG HSM

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

Keep a eye on Groupon/Living social I have been able to get some photo classes through deals on there.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,510 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 14 2012 - 01:29 AM

If anyone else is interested in this camera, it is Amazon's Gold Box Deal of The Day today for the same $399 price that Mike paid.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 14 2012 - 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield 

If anyone else is interested in this camera, it is Amazon's Gold Box Deal of The Day today for the same $399 price that Mike paid.

I saw that...and somehow Woot is involved in this amazon deal.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,495 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 14 2012 - 07:24 AM

Woot is owned by Amazon I believe.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,405 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 14 2012 - 08:07 AM

In the meantime, I'm having fun.  This is a quick pic I took (using the camera's flash) for a DVD my wife is working on for her blog.

And I've been trying out a new flash unit which is giving me some excellent results (even though I'm not really sure what I'm doing with it):

To be able to shot close up images--indoors--without washing out the subject (and not having to fix red eye--like I did in the blog picture above) is absolute heaven!