Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Artist - quick review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,832 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 01:03 PM

What's this, a silent film about the transitional period of silent flms turning into the talkies? The ironic meta-ness of this film, "The Artist" is quite charming, and uses quite a few cinematic nuggets from the film era of the late 1920s to tell the story of George Valentin (Jean Dujardin), star of many silent films, and Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo), a up-and-coming dancing starlet, who become somewhat intertwined in the business of making movies as George's star descents and Peppy's star ascents. Jujardin and Bejo have nice on-screen chemistry, and Valentin's dog is great. The film has lot going for it, though the middle act is dramatically a bummer, purposefully so, otherwise, with such a light touch in tone and style, the film more than makes up for it with such a faithful use of the silent film genre to tell its tale. One theme that resonated with me is when it examines, broadly, the notion of whether or not the meaning of art comes from the message or the medium, or a confluence of both. I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit

• 453 posts
  • LocationCastaic, CA

Posted January 03 2012 - 11:33 AM

Just saw this last night and it is the best experience I've had at a movie theater in a long time. Thoroughly enjoyable, and very well done. Hopefully this will do for silent films what Avatar did for 3D....

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,154 posts

Posted January 03 2012 - 11:57 AM

This one strikes me as being too pretentious even for the Oscars.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,258 posts

Posted February 02 2012 - 02:22 AM

Loved this film!!!!

I have seen all the nominees except for EXTREMELY
LOUD and MIDNIGHT IN PARIS.

Thus far, THE ARTIST is my pick for Best Picture.

To be able to pull off the impossible of making a B&W

silent film in this era, that is incredibly entertaining, is

quite an accomplishment.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,848 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 02 2012 - 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lord Dalek 

This one strikes me as being too pretentious even for the Oscars.

There you go...

I thought it was a fine film, but to win BP is such a pretentious act by the Academy and the film industry.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 989 posts

Posted May 08 2012 - 06:13 PM

I loved it and I'm glad it won best picture. I went with my mom & my sister and my sister confessed at the end of the film that she had worried the film was going to drag due to the lack of dialogue (I don't think she's ever seen a silent movie before). She was pleasantly surprised. I believe this was also a digital projection- a first for me. It seemed fine, except that there was a distracting line that went down the middle of the screen for the entire duration of the movie. I don't know if that was a defect in the screen itself or a defect in the image (I suspect it was the screen). I saw Hugo the following week, and I loved that as well (it's actually the first 3D movie I've seen since Spacehunter back in the '80s!). That film would have also been deserving of a Best Picture win. Too bad neither film really seemed to set the box office on fire.
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays