What's new

Disney's People and Places I'd love to see this (and True-Life Adventures) on Blu-ray. (1 Viewer)

I'd love to see these released on Blu-ray especially because they were all shot in Cinemascope. Seven films in this series were nominated for Oscars, three of them winning. It'd also be nice if Disney revisited the True-Life Adventures and put them on Blu-ray. True-Life Adventures received eight Oscar nominations, all wins. In addition, Mysteries of the Deep and Islands of the Sea each received Oscar nods. While not officially True-Life Adventures they basicaly followed the same format. Luckily, Disney's wonderful unique hydrid of a True-Life Adventure and a Fantasia segment, Grand Canyon, is available in HD splendor on the Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray. This also won an Oscar and looks terrific in HD. Also I'd like to see animated Oscar nominees It's Tough to Be a Bird, Lorenzo, and Redux Riding Hood on Blu-ray. They have never been released on DVD or Blu-ray. I'd appreciate any feedback if anyone knows about the possibility of any of these being released.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I certainly second any or all of these on Blu-ray. I often revisit the True-Life Adventures on DVD (which were major advances in video quality to the releases on VHS).

And It's Tough to Be a Bird won the animated short Oscar the year it was nominated.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I know the People and Places on Disneyland was filmed in CinemaScope. Does anyone know if that was the standard format for the whole series?
Doug

I couldn't find the aspect ratio's for all of them at IMDB but all the one's I could find were 2.35:1 except for the first one, The Alaskan Eskimo. Wikipedia claims they were all shot in Cinemascope, however. Well, if the response to this thread is any indicator, I better not hold my breath waiting for these. There doesn't appear to be much interest.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I have the DVDs that were issued a couple of years ago and are very handy for me to locate in my vast collection. However, I would opt for the Blu Rays if they were announced. I would prefer in a complete boxset which to me is the way to go.

If anyone would like to request the release of People and Places or anything else from Disney, please call BVHE at 1-800-723-4763. I really, really want to see these released so any help would be appreciated.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Does anyone here have the ability to contact Leonard Maltin? Since he has worked with both Criterion and Disney, I think it would be interesting to see if these films could be licensed to Criterion, and he would be a natural to try to get them together on this.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I have all the DVD issued in recent years and they are very handy to locate. The box is near my bed!!!!!

I would also like to see a blu ray issue and a box set in that format would be ideal but individually would be nice, just the same.

Disney offering Criterion material, if they were interested, would be something.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Weren't a bunch of these filmed in 16mm, and therefore wouldn't they have very limited potential for improved image quality on Blu-ray? I think the DVD's look pretty damn good myself.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
No, all the films I could find on IMDB, except the first one, The Alaskan Eskimo, indicate that they were filmed in 2.35:1, probably Cinemascope, but I don't remember. These would be ideal for Blu-ray. I'm pretty surprised there isn't more interest here at the HTF being that this series was so acclaimed by the Academy. It represents a glaring hole in Disney's catalog on digital video. True Life Adventures were filmed in 16mm do to the fact that filming nature requires hours and hours of film because animals don't do things on cue, and 16mm kept the price of film stock down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks