What's new

Samsung 3D glasses compatibility issue (1 Viewer)

GSH

Auditioning
Real Name
George
I purchased a pair of Samsung SSG-3100 GB glasses and I can't get them to pair with my Samsung P51D550C1F 3D TV (both the glasses and the TV are 2011 models). A Best Buy tech where I purchased the glasses asked if I had a 3D rated HDMI cable. My HDMI cable is over 5 years old so it may not be. Does this seem like a likely problem??? My source of 3D programming is Direct TV.

GSH

Auditioning
Real Name
George
Thanks for the information. I still would like to know if not having the correct HDMI cable would impact the pairing of the 3D glasses with the TV. It would seem doubtful as the connection between the TV and glasses is made via Bluetooth. I know that the TV is transmitting a Bluetooth signal as my cell phone senses it. Unfortunately the glasses don't seem to respond, I would think that the HDMI cable would only impact the reception/quality of the 3D picture - not the glasses communicating with the TV. I could be wrong of course. Maybe the Bluetooth link between the glasses and the TV requires a better 3D input signal associated with a higher quality HDMI cable??? I plan to take the glasses back to Best Buy and try them out on some in-store TV's.

GSH

Auditioning
Real Name
George
When the glasses "pair" there is supposed to be an acknowledgement message on the TV screen. Doesn't happen. The image on the TV appears to be a 3D image (i.e. ghosts or double images).

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Is there anything possibly blocking the TV's 3D sensor? In other words, is there anything potentially blocking the TV's bezel?

If the glasses are IR, they require a line of sight to the TV's sensor.

GSH

Auditioning
Real Name
George
There is nothing blocking the glasses from the TV. When pairing is accomplished the glasses must be within a few inches of the TV. A light on the glasses must alternate red and green when pairing is attempted. This works as advertised so the battery is good. The glasses link via Bluetooth. My cell phone sees this signal, but apparently the glasses do not.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sounds like either weak batteries or a bad receiver on the TV. Have you tried contacting Samsung? Did you purchase the extended warranty from Best Buy? If so, you may want to give them a call.

GSH

Auditioning
Real Name
George
The batteries are new and the lights on the glasses illuminate so, no, the battery is not the problem. The TV emits a Bluetooth signal as verified by my cell phone so I doubt that the TV is the problem. I contacted Best Buy. The are the one's (as already explained) that suggested that it was an improper HDMI cable. I have some doubt that this makes sense hence this thread. The glasses were purchased at Best Buy not the TV. There is no extended warranty for the glasses. I have ordered an upgraded HDMI cable. I think that this was necessary anyway to get the best 3D performance and it's a relatively low cost item. If that doesn't work I plan to take the glasses back to the Best Buy store and try them on some in-store compatible TV's. If they don't work there Best Buy will refund the cost and I'll purchase a pair of glasses that are compatible. Shouldn't be this difficult!

T

TasNad

We had the same problem and have finally found a solution!! No message was appearing on screen when pairing brand new Samsung glasses with brand new Samsung TV. We had tried all sorts of combinations of 2D/3D, distance from TV, angle of glasses, holding/pressing the button on the glasses but nothing made a difference. We went back to the store and could pair the glasses with their demo TV but it would not work at home. Eventualy I found a comment in another forum and tried their advice: unplugging the TV for a minute and then turning back on. Pairing now works perfectly! We were in 3D mode when we paired and don't know if this made a difference or not (but we had tried that before so it was definitely the power off that ultimately fixed it). Turning the TV off with the remote or the on-tv power button was NOT enough, we had to switch off at the power point.

GSH

Auditioning
Real Name
George
Thanks TasNad, After much effort Samsung exchanged our TV and the problem disappeared. Samsung was very cooperative and helpful. Then a few weeks later the problem recurred.. I did a Google search and found the thread recommending to unplug the TV for one minute. It worked. The TV exchange may have been unnecessary, but no one ever mentioned the removal of power option. We live in a rural area so they couldn't send out a technician. I which Samsung had been aware of this fix. Now I wonder if this problem will recur periodically. Hope not..

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
LOL. The good old "Did you try unplugging and replugging the power cable". Usually every tech hotline says that... it;s the first thing they usually say, but I must say, I wouldn't have thought of that either. Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks