89 replies to this topic

#81 of 90 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,087 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted March 26 2013 - 10:39 AM

Dave:

I have a quad core AMD with 8G of RAM with 4 tuners and an X Box upstairs that works great. I watch my shows

downstairs while my wife watches hers upstairs on the X Box. I haven't tried watching a movie that I have on my

HTPC to my X Box yet but I am sure I will be able to.

The thing that really made it work well without the lag from one to the other is using a Netgear Powerline. I don't

have dedicated Cat5 but I get great transmission speeds over the Powerline.

I am going to try streaming a movie from my HTPC to my X Box and will let you know it works out.

Packy

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#82 of 90 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 26 2013 - 06:53 PM

I've hit analysis paralysis. :) There's no complete solution for whole-home DVR and media archive. I could get much of what I want with a central system, an extra 360, and time spent ripping  / transcoding movies to the magic formats that play on extenders. But it's not perfect enough that I want to spend the money on it, versus the $30/mo I spend on Tivos (with high WAF).  The design of multiple HTPCs I've rejected as it will be too difficult to maintain multiple machines. It also raises cost and it does't support whole-house DVR.)

I think I'm waiting for the next Tivo S5 (with six tuners?) and a Mini for a whole-house DVR.  When the new Tivo launches, I'll compare to Media Center options and decide. 

I've got to tell you, there have been a lot of interesting changes in the last few weeks, a few I'm going to cover shortly in a new 2013 Guide I'm putting together (due 4/9/2013!!!)   that really change the game in my opinion.  I'll have some new videos as well.   I'm now pushing three extenders, one Media Center with 12 tuners and I've got to say things have really become pretty slick as time has gone on.   I'll try to work some stuff up soon.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#83 of 90 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,087 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted March 27 2013 - 01:35 AM

Matt:

Looking forward to this.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#84 of 90 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,599 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 27 2013 - 04:25 PM

Matt, I look forward to reading it!

Dave:

I have a quad core AMD with 8G of RAM with 4 tuners and an X Box upstairs that works great. I watch my shows

downstairs while my wife watches hers upstairs on the X Box. I haven't tried watching a movie that I have on my

HTPC to my X Box yet but I am sure I will be able to.

The thing that really made it work well without the lag from one to the other is using a Netgear Powerline. I don't

have dedicated Cat5 but I get great transmission speeds over the Powerline.

I am going to try streaming a movie from my HTPC to my X Box and will let you know it works out.

Packy

My difficulty is a main use is for TV series in the bedroom, and I like to watch their special features and some commentaries. HTPCs don't easily support this; everything is built around the use case of only watching the main feature transcoded to a low to medium bitrate MKV.

I see how to build a great whole house DVR; or a movie-room media center for full-disc blu-ray quality; or a whole-house media center for ripped quality main features. But doing all three is...impossible?

If I had time, there are enthusiasts in the NoVA area I could connect with and get demos from, to understand better. But I haven't done that yet :)

#85 of 90 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 27 2013 - 06:54 PM

Well, there are new methods that will allow you to get full access to all your extras, etc. in different ways, plus there are new options for ISO streaming that leave it in tact.   One of those though is a bit of work, the other is pretty straightforward.  I'm still trying to get videos and a faq together to make sure my information is all checked and the videos make sense ;)

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#86 of 90 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,599 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 07:04 AM

Sounds good. I follow the Echo thread at AVS, and no one has a robust solution for streaming yet, there. I played with iso streaming from media center to Xbox, and couldn't get it to work. (Info was scattered and years old)

#87 of 90 michaeltrottar

michaeltrottar

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 03:00 AM

I'm seen some rumors the Ceton Replicate will be as low as $150, in accordance with the 'less than the xbox' opinion from Ceton. I have no concept, but I wish so, since that would create it a much simpler buy.

#88 of 90 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,599 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 08:38 AM

I concluded this year that an HTPC isn't for me.

I wanted a multi-room, server-client DVR and movie system. I wanted the DVR to use a 4+ Tuner cable card. I wanted movie playback to work on complete disc rips, with special features and support TV series.

I couldn't find a reasonable to build that. I found these were options:
@ multi-room, server-client DVR
@ single-room DVR and movie system with complete disc rips
@ multi-room, (each room an individually configured PC) movie system
@ multi-room, client server DVR and with finicky, fragile ripped/transcoded movie server

I realized DVR was most important feature, with SAF, cost, and ease of use as next in line. So I bought the new TiVo Roamio and TiVo mini.

I also was losing confidence in a WMC-based system, since it appears unchanged in 5 years and abandoned by MS. Extenders don't work with Win8. Xbox One doesn't support WMC. I worry about buying into obsolescence and that's was WMC felt like (TiVo, natch).

I'll revisit the topic when I build my basement HT. That use could make it worthwhile to have a dedicated movie media system, that could play full-disc rips without needing to stream to other rooms. And a $250 mini would provide DVR access, so that would not be an extra complication for a basement HTPC.

Edited by DaveF, December 08 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#89 of 90 michaeltrottar

michaeltrottar

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 04:27 AM

I have also study on the console it needs operating the blockbuster online program outside the press middle program and also needs you have an account.

#90 of 90 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,599 posts

Posted February 15 2014 - 09:26 AM

Michael, do you have an HTPC? What setup do you have and what do you use it for (DVR, ripped Blu-ray, etc?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users