Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

AMISTAD and ALWAYS???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted December 28 2011 - 03:56 PM

Next to Close Encounters, Amistad and Always are my favorite Spielberg films. Hope blurays are not to distant. Have not seen War Horse yet , but it does look very good.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,303 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 28 2011 - 05:04 PM

Always is with Universal, and I can see it coming eventually, but probably not this year since their Spielberg focus will be on Jaws and ET. Universal also has Duel, Sugarland Express, 1941, and Schindler's List.

Amistad is DreamWorks (with Paramount distributing), and I could see a possible release timed with the video release of War Horse since they are both heavier dramas. However, since Paramount is working with Lucasfilm & Spielberg to prioritize the first three Indiana Jones films for a Fall 2012 release it may not get the attention it needs. DreamWorks also has Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, and Munich.

That leaves just the Warner owned Empire of the Sun absent from Blu-ray, and it's recently been listed as coming to the UK by amazon.uk (http://www.amazon.co...ASIN/B004S6E26K), so one can suppose it's getting a US release in 2012 as well.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Patrick H.

Patrick H.

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted December 28 2011 - 05:53 PM

As a Spielberg junkie, I look forward to the arrival of ALL of these remaining titles. The existing versions of Always and 1941 are sad relics of the laserdisc era that are in dire need of an update. Amistad and Carch Me If You Can need video releases that aren't ruined by horrible player-generated text at the end. E.T. needs a truly comprehensive treatment. And any Indiana Jones set had better include ALL the content from the various DVD releases...

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted December 29 2011 - 02:50 AM

Thanks Brandon for the info. Munich is a film I liked very much also.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,308 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 29 2011 - 03:36 AM

And any Indiana Jones set had better include ALL the content from the various DVD releases...

Based on the history of Indy and Star Wars on VHS, LD, DVD and Blu-ray, I wouldn't hold my breath for Lucasfilm to do that.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   James Luckard

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted December 30 2011 - 01:06 PM

Actually, AMISTAD, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and THE TERMINAL are the only DreamWorks films still waiting for release from Paramount. US video rights to MUNICH are with Universal, not DreamWorks. I also don't know that Paramount will have any interest in tying anything to WAR HORSE, as it's released by Disney since DreamWorks is now really just a production company based there.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,303 posts

Posted December 30 2011 - 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by James Luckard 

Actually, AMISTAD, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and THE TERMINAL are the only DreamWorks films still waiting for release from Paramount.
US video rights to MUNICH are with Universal, not DreamWorks.
I also don't know that Paramount will have any interest in tying anything to WAR HORSE, as it's released by Disney since DreamWorks is now really just a production company based there.

RE: Munich - imdb.com lists DreamWorks first in company credits, hence my assumption. http://www.imdb.com/.../companycredits

RE: War Horse - I totally forgot that Paramount now only distributes the DreamWorks live action catalog and not the new films. Thanks for the clarification.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   James Luckard

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted December 31 2011 - 06:38 PM

RE: Munich - imdb.com lists DreamWorks first in company credits, hence my assumption. http://www.imdb.com/.../companycredits RE: War Horse - I totally forgot that Paramount now only distributes the DreamWorks live action catalog and not the new films. Thanks for the clarification.

re: MUNICH - That's just an IMDB error. Universal released Munich both in theaters and on video in the US. It's an understandable mistake though, as many Spielberg-directed films at DreamWorks were co-productions, in which case the other studio distributed in the US and DreamWorks distributed overseas, but Dreamworks always got domestic video rights and the other company then got foreign video. Munich was the only Spielberg DreamWorks coproduction where theatrical and video rights in the US were not split - Universal got both - not doubt partly because they distributed DreamWorks Home Video in the US anyway.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,303 posts

Posted January 03 2012 - 07:58 AM

Good info. Thanks James.