Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Joe Kane Education Series: 3D Technology

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE  

• 0 posts

Posted December 28 2011 - 06:31 AM

This is our second episode from the Joe Kane Education series.   Our first episode was primarily going over screen technologies related to 2D.  In the second episode Joe goes deep into 3D technology, projectors, screens and a glimpse into what the future might hold for 3D projector technology. Personally, I haven’t taken the plunge yet to move to 3D in my home theater.  Many of the reasons are discussed in this episode, but having enough light output to compensate for the active glasses is one of them along with the fact that with all the active glasses I have used for both flat panel and projector technologies have left me with eye fatigue/headaches.  My best experiences have been in theatrical settings using passive glasses with the Dolby system. Joe explains the various 3D technologies, some of the drawbacks of systems that require polarity reflected back from the screen and the screen technologies (i.e. metalized) that reduce the picture quality from what it was in 2D (i.e. hot spotting, color shifting, etc.). Joe also discusses why the screen shouldn’t compensate because a projector can’t put out enough light.  He also discusses some potential futures 3rd party upgrades for the Samsung 800/900 projector that would allow it to be a 3D projector and some new light bulb technology that is being introduced in the theatrical setting that provides some interesting options for light output for projector manufacturers to eliminate the need for metalized screens. I am confident that after watching this episode that you will walk away with some new knowledge about 3D and some aspects to be aware of when looking to moving to a 3D projector system.