Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What gold CDs have you bought lately? Or have in your collection?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted December 24 2011 - 01:49 PM

I collect gold CDs for their often better sound quality. Today I picked up a copy of Ray Charles Greatest Country & Western Hits. What gold CDs do you have in your collection? What do you like and why?
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,905 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 24 2011 - 02:30 PM

I've only got APP's Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted December 24 2011 - 04:15 PM

I've only got APP's Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

Cool. I don't have that one...yet.
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,267 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 25 2011 - 01:22 AM

The only gold CDs in my collection came to me by accident -- a couple of soundtrack albums that were included in deluxe box sets of films on laserdisc.  Come to think of it, I have one LD itself that's gold -- Orson Welles' The Trial, issued by the Roan Group.  I have no idea what else may have been issued on gold.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 26 2011 - 02:06 PM

I think I have a couple that qualify. Aja - Steely Dan The Yes Album - Yes Aja was a nice cd so the Gold edition wasn't earth shattering to me but since the early Yes albums didn't seem to be recorded all that well the MoFi Gold edition was a pretty big improvement, even on my modest audio system.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,211 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 26 2011 - 02:56 PM

Yup. The only gold disc in my collection is the Yes album.  Sounds pretty good.

I casually collect SACDs and DVD-As and picked up the gold disc in a used bin at a local store.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted December 27 2011 - 11:06 AM

Yup. The only gold disc in my collection is the Yes album.  Sounds pretty good. I casually collect SACDs and DVD-As and picked up the gold disc in a used bin at a local store. 

If it is the Yes Fragile by Mofi (MFSL) then you are doing well as it sounds great!

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,211 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 27 2011 - 02:56 PM

Nope, Lee.  Not Fragile.  But, The Yes Album.

It is a MoFi release.  Limited Edition.  #496, in fact.  It sounds great though.  I'm not really that familiar with Yes, but I know: I've Seen All Good People.

I LOVE finding high-rez stuff in used bins.  Posted Image  I wonder, often, how/why it ends up there...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 27 2011 - 03:05 PM

Mike, what stores are you finding this stuff in the used bins? Maybe I have to hit the used record stores again like I did in high school.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,211 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 27 2011 - 03:24 PM

Well...seeing as how most media stores near me are going under...it's getting more and more difficult.

But, I still find "used" stuff at my local FYE stores (TransWorld Entertainment).  And I've got one small local LP/CD shop near me that I check out every once in a while...

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,267 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 27 2011 - 03:53 PM

I love to find the occasional used/out-of-print treasure at FYE, but just this evening learned that the one in my town is closing.  Not exactly a shock, since they've been closing stores here and there for the past couple of years, but now the nearest ones will be 30-45 minutes away.  And you know damned well they won't last forever.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,211 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 27 2011 - 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

I love to find the occasional used/out-of-print treasure at FYE, but just this evening learned that the one in my town is closing.  Not exactly a shock, since they've been closing stores here and there for the past couple of years, but now the nearest ones will be 30-45 minutes away.  And you know damned well they won't last forever.

Don't want to derail Lee's thread, but a number of our local FYE's have closed over the past several months.  Just two left in the two big local malls.

Once they're gone...there will be no good-sized local retailers left carrying used high-rez discs (trying to get it back on topic...).

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted December 27 2011 - 11:13 PM

I have the soundtrack to Krull on a gold disc. Great James Horner score!

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted December 28 2011 - 06:44 AM

Just off the top of head.... Elvis - 24 Karat Hits Phil Collins - Face value Phil Collins - No Jacket Required Phil Collins - Hello, I Must Be Going! Yes - 90125 The Cars - Heartbeat City The B-52's - Cosmic Thing The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds The Doobie Bros. - Minute By Minute Billy Joel - Glass Houses Billy Joel - 52nd Street Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like A Wheel Heart - Greatest Hits
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted February 29 2012 - 01:21 PM

I have that Elvis Danny. Great sound!