Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Pan & scan only in 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   JakeLip

JakeLip

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted December 24 2011 - 01:03 PM

I looked through the archive and the most current thread relative to this topic I could find was 2005, so I thought it would be more appropriate to start a new one than dig up a discussion from that long ago. In a matter of days it will be 2012, widescreen TVs are much more commonplace now than back in the early days of DVD, and the studios have largely moved on to Blu-ray. So why, when taking stock of my collction, are there still movies that I would like to own which aren't even available in widescreen on DVD yet? Specifically, "Matilda" was recently adapted into a stage musical now performing in London, and a friend will be seeing it next month and will bring me back a copy of the CD for it. That got me eager to revisit the book and the Danny DeVito movie, which I was fond of as a kid, and when I looked it up on Amazon, I found out that Matilda has never received a widescreen DVD release despite having two releases to speak of from Sony. Nor has The Witches, another Dahl adaptation which is owned by Warner Bros. I could go on with a list of other second-tier titles which still need attenton too (Balto, George of the Jungle, A Goofy Movie, varous catalog titles from several studios.) And in an issue which is not as severe but still very present, I do actually own a few very early titles which, despite being in the original ratios, are non-anamorphic but have never been revisited with a superrior transfer. ..Evita from Hollywood Pictures, owned by Disney, Marvin's Room from Mirimax which was until recently owned by Disney, and, probably most shockingly, Hercules from Disney. Disney has gone through almost their entire animated catalog twice over, but Hercules is still stuck with the same transfer as it had on its 1999 Limited Issue release, which was simply repressed as the Gold Collection version in 2000 and still available today. I know Hercules isn't one of Disney's mammoth sellers like Lion King or Snow White but still, I would buy an anamorphic release of it and suspect a lot of other people would too. Instead of creating a new thread (or digging up really really old ones) to address each of these issues individuall, I would just like to observe how unsettling it is that these types of releases still have not been corrected this late into the DVD era. I would atually like Blu-ray releases of every movie I've mentioned in this thread, but at this point I would even setle for new DVDs. My "wish list item" for 2012 is that as many discs of this nature get new releses as financially possible. I understnd that something like The Witches is probably not going to be a big seller for Warner, but what would be the harm in releasing it in OAR, even as a Warner Archive MOD title if need be, for example? It's just surprising that certian things like original aspect ratio releases are still a problem for some less-than-bestselling but still notable catalog titles such as these. I am sure there are others besides the ones I've mentioned which matter to other people here even if these don't. This is just an observation. I hope someone might notice it. Thanks for listening.

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted December 24 2011 - 03:53 PM

The R1 Miramax/Echo Bridge REFLECTING SKIN (91), released last month, is a fuil-frame mess, basicallly a VHS port. Reissuing OAR-corrected titles is a likely progression for MODs, including the Archive. Universal has released ULZANA'S RAID, previously a full-frame Goodtimes release, in its OAR via Amazon.

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted December 25 2011 - 12:20 AM

Some time ago I purchased a European DVD of The Executioner, a movie starring George Peppard. This DVD was a pan and scan travesty. Since then The Executioner has been issued as an MOD DVD-R. Has anyone seen this disc? Does it present the movie in the OAR?

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted December 25 2011 - 12:33 AM

Yes, according to reviews.

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted December 25 2011 - 04:39 AM

The underappreciated David Carradine title American Reel is being re-released on DVD... and AGAIN it's going to be pan and scan. I don't get it. :( MGM/UA continues to issue widescreen 1950s titles for its MOD program using old pan and scan masters.
PaulaJ

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   MLamarre

MLamarre

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted December 25 2011 - 05:23 AM

MGM is definitely the worst offender...they have released almost every 1.66 ratio film they have at 1.33 (either open matte or P&S) and they also have a truckload of non-anamorphic films releases from 1997-2003 that never got upgraded.

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted December 25 2011 - 07:58 AM

Yeah, we're going into 2012 and yet at times it feels like it's 1998 when it comes to shoddy DVDs. DISNEY seems to be the worst offender followed by SONY. My copy of JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN has been relegated to the bottom of a storage box because such a compromised transfer does not deserve a space on my shelf. CAN'T BUY ME LOVE, another Disney favorite, is also pan & scam and is also "put away". I love the movies but the DVDs just don't merit valuable shelf space. The studio treats its live action films like a red-headed stepchild and I have no idea why.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted December 25 2011 - 08:45 AM

the studios still have to release a widescreen version of sudden death with jean claude van damme. all of the iron eagle movies except for the third are in full screen.

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   JakeLip

JakeLip

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted December 25 2011 - 04:27 PM

MATILDA -- which was the original catalyst for this thread -- is available in widescreen on iTunes. Up until this point, I have never had a use for digital copies of anything, but I just bought it (it's not available for rent and was only $4.99, so I figured my curiosity to see it again was worth that.) It is kind of sad that the only way to see the film in widescreen is through a download service like that in QuickTime, which is obviously much lesser quality than a DVD. And yet it makes me wonder what other films have been released to iTunes in a more appropriate fashion than actual physical media. Studios, fix this, please?

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted December 26 2011 - 12:14 AM

Yes, according to reviews.

Thank you. I'll buy this during the first sale.

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted December 27 2011 - 01:21 PM

I have Matilda on laserdisc in 4x3 letterbox, the disc has laser rot of course since it was made by Sony. Also have the DTS letterbox laserdisc of Sudden Death- that was one of Universal's first DVDs and was only pan and scan.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   kenNew

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted December 27 2011 - 10:43 PM

Even a large scale film like Moby Dick (1956) remains available only in widescreen. I'd hoped that Warner, with their excellent track record, would have corrected this error by now.

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,251 posts

Posted January 08 2012 - 08:06 AM

FYI: The edition of MATILDA that is on sale in the UK is anamorphic and looks quite splendid.

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted January 09 2012 - 09:37 AM

I've just read that Sony's Region 2 DVD of The Key is pan and scan. This is a new release! Come on Sony. Wake up!

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   ShowsOn

ShowsOn

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted January 09 2012 - 01:04 PM

I've just read that Sony's Region 2 DVD of The Key is pan and scan. This is a new release! Come on Sony. Wake up!

Are you referring to the 1958 film directed by Carol Reed? I have a Region 2 PAL anamorphic widescreen copy released by Sony, the UPC is: 5050582361377. The picture and sound are good, but not outstanding. It is perfectly watchable, and is a very good film with a surprisingly bleak ending.

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 11:01 AM

Are you referring to the 1958 film directed by Carol Reed? I have a Region 2 PAL anamorphic widescreen copy released by Sony, the UPC is: 5050582361377. The picture and sound are good, but not outstanding. It is perfectly watchable, and is a very good film with a surprisingly bleak ending.

Yes I am - or was. I've rechecked what I read and I suspect the reviewer and everyone else including me was messed about by Amazon's eccentric and annoying habit of lumping all opinions about a movie together. I now think the reviewer was referring to another DVD of the same movie. The review dated January 2011, placed by Amazon UK under the latest DVD of The Key, reads as follows: QUOTE I saw this film on TV early last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. After reading most of the reviews on the Amazon site, I decided to wait to see if someone would finally do it justice, and put it out on DVD in its original aspect ratio. In November 2010 it was supposedly remastered, and, according to at least one other UK website, was formatted in the aspect ratio of 2.35:1, which is very close to its original Cinemascope aspect ratio. So it was decided to order this title, along with 4 others, in early December, and a few days after it was shipped, it turned up in the mail box. When I put it into our DVD player and started it up, I was elated to see that the film was, as stated on the back of the cover, in the ratio of 2.35:1. However, my elation very quickly turned to tears and disgust when after 2 minutes & 56 seconds, our TV screen was suddenly filled by a blown up PAN & SCAN picture,which revealed some graininess, but worse still, robbed me of at least 40% of the picture. This went on till the 113 minute point, after which it went back to the original aspect ratio of 2.35:1. What a RIP-OFF!!! Buyer Beware!!! - If you love your widescreen movies in their correct formats, DON'T TOUCH this one with a forty foot, or better still, a hundred foot Barge Pole, and if you can, tell the people at Palladium Entertainment what you think of their efforts. It's a great title crucified, and that's being very polite. UNQUOTE Palladium Entertainment is the . . . no, I refuse to make the obvious pun. Palladium Entertainment provides the clue and this review may well refer to a different DVD. Either way, it looks as if pan and scan versions of this movie are still being sold to the unwary buyer.

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   ShowsOn

ShowsOn

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 01:53 AM

I've never heard of Palladium Entertainment before, but I'll be sure to avoid their releases considering they think releasing pan and scan DVDs makes sense. If this is a film you are interested in, I suggest seeking out the old Sony version.

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,871 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted January 11 2012 - 03:06 AM

I've never heard of Palladium Entertainment before, but I'll be sure to avoid their releases considering they think releasing pan and scan DVDs makes sense. If this is a film you are interested in, I suggest seeking out the old Sony version.

I've seen very poor DVDs from Palladium/Cornerstone Media before. This is what Movie Mail says about THE KEY R2 DVD: NB: This print is a 4:3 presentation of a widescreen picture, has some sound dropouts and appears to miss a portion of the ending.

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   ShowsOn

ShowsOn

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 11:15 PM

I've seen very poor DVDs from Palladium/Cornerstone Media before. This is what Movie Mail says about THE KEY R2 DVD: NB: This print is a 4:3 presentation of a widescreen picture, has some sound dropouts and appears to miss a portion of the ending.

I just noticed this 2 fer release that SAYS it is by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment: http://www.amazon.co...26370333&sr=1-3 The description is very confusing. It says it is 4:3, but above that it says full screen AND widescreen! So did Sony put out both widescreen and pan and scan versions? All I know is the copy I have, UPC 5050582361377 is anamorphic widescreen. Incidentally the cinematography is by Oswald Morris, who is probably most famous for The Guns of Navarone, and a bunch of John Huston films like Moulin Rouge, Heaven Knows Mr Allison, and Moby Dick. He is an under rated artist.

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 02:57 AM

I just noticed this 2 fer release that SAYS it is by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment: http://www.amazon.co...26370333&sr=1-3 The description is very confusing. It says it is 4:3, but above that it says full screen AND widescreen! So did Sony put out both widescreen and pan and scan versions?

That DVD cover screams out BOOTLEG! BOOTLEG! The images are so blotched, out-of-focus and faded. It's hard to believe Sony would put that out.