-

Photo
- - - - -

You want Pink Floyd's "The Wall" on 5.1 SACD? It's going to happen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted December 22 2011 - 06:11 AM

From Pink Floyd engineer/producer James Guthrie....

I will be doing a 5.1 mix of The Wall for release on SACD, but we don't have a planned release date for that yet. The original multitrack tapes are in pretty bad shape, so the project will take some time.

Here's the rest of the interview with Mr. Guthrie and Analogue Productions' Chad Kassem.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   KevinJ

KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted December 22 2011 - 12:56 PM

No Blu ray no sale.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted December 23 2011 - 05:00 AM

Funny comment to make considering it's a SACD announcement.  At least the Blu Ray of the movie is being produced.

Look forward to the SACD when it is released.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   KevinJ

KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted December 23 2011 - 01:54 PM

I'm just saying they ought to do both like they did with WYWH and DSOTM.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 337 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted December 25 2011 - 03:31 PM

I bought the Immersion sets of both DSotM and WYWH, but I'm seriously considering taking a pass on THE WALL. If it had the 5.1 Blu-ray, it would be a no-brainer, but if I'm just going to be buying the SACD (or maybe a separate BD) later, I should probably wait. - Mark

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   keithling

keithling

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted December 27 2011 - 02:17 PM

I'm sorry, but the issue with the master tapes appears to be a problem I doubt will be overcome.. I can't conceive of the idea of them "baking the tapes"> I doubt anyone will have the guts to try this. Perhaps that is a major reason why many albums have not been converted to 5.1. As far as the attitude toward Blu-ray is concerned, Steven Wilson did the 5.1 mix of his newest solo album on Blu-ray in DTS Master Audio. I believe it is very viable for 5.1 music mixes.
Major fan of music in 5.1, especially Prog.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 04 2012 - 03:42 AM

I mentioned this in the Immersion/WYWH SACD thread:

http://www.hometheat...30#post_3869115

OK, I said screw it and just ordered my copy.  There is indeed only 10K copies being pressed and they are indeed up to 6K right now.  I ended up speaking to an employee there for a few minutes and they are so stoked about this title.  Apparently, it's cased in a book-like edition, so it's really nice.  She also mentioned that she had been receiving TONS of e-mails from people requesting Acoustic Sounds to work on "The Wall" in surround next.  She said she told Chad Kassem this and he raised his eyebrow. ../../img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz