Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Backing up a Raid array?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted December 21 2011 - 04:50 AM

I am considering going Raid 5 for my next server setup but have a question regarding backing it up. If you have a Raid setup with a total of 10TB of data, how do you go about backup it up? Obviously, you would have to back it up to multiple drives and I would prefer it to be somewhat automated. I just cannot seem to find a solution for this. I am not interested in tape systems - Only hard drives. And I don't want my backup solution to be another array because if your hardware controller fails then you are kind of screwed. Any thoughts or ideas? I guess you can manually copy portions of the array to other drives but this certainly isn't automated and wouldn't be an up-to-date backup system. So I am kind of at a loss. The OS on the server will be Windows 7, XP or Home Server 2011. But I don't believe any of those have a feature built-in that would handle this scenario. Maybe there is a third party software that will do this?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,027 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 21 2011 - 05:23 AM

Ok.   I run into this often.. I'm over 28T now, after this Christmas, and I get brought up.. the reality is that in a RAID-5 or JBOD of this size, a full backup is an absolute pain.  And most of this (if you're like me) is video.

I really don't worry about most of the video I have on there.. if it all gets destroyed, I have the original blurays in a box in my closet.   BUT, I do backup essential data which I could not restore if lost (pictures, music store, etc.)

You can do it two ways:  (1) get a network NAS unit to match your server - I really like the Drobo and Qnap, but Iomega is also a valid choice since they were bought by EMC  (2) use a simple external USB and backup only scheduled data.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,198 posts

Posted December 21 2011 - 05:58 AM

Use a backup program that only backs up changed data. (Maybe that's what Matt meant in #2.) Most of the data on a 10TB system will likely not be changing. It's probably video, graphics, and music. Then just periodically copy the backup data to a writeable DVD.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted December 22 2011 - 08:38 AM

Hmmm. Thanks for the ideas. I deffinitely want a complete and total backup of everything - The idea and going back to source in case of a crash makes me want to vomit. I have the hard drives to do it already so I am not worried about that side of things. Getting a Drobo that matches the size of the array would certainly work - Not cheap, but it would work for sure. Good idea. But option 2 I am confused about. Is there something I am missing that will allow me to backup a 10TB "drive" to USB drive(s)?

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted December 22 2011 - 04:06 PM

Option 2 would be breaking up your content over 2-3TB USB drives. Not a bad option I have done it. Duping the system is the best option you can use Raid 0 for that system as you lose it you just re-backup again.

You think this is a chalenge try 300TB, my last job basically replication of storage systems was the only way.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II