Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for an new TV, after 6 years

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Tim Jin

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor

• 526 posts

Posted December 19 2011 - 06:07 AM

Hi, I haven't post anything in a very long time. I'm thinking about replacing my beloved Panny 47 RPTV with a LCD LED panel, 55'-60" range. I need a matte screen because I get a lot of light in the room and the glare from the glass will drive me crazy. I would like to get your opinion on a Sharp Quattron and Sony. Thank you for your help. Tim

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted December 19 2011 - 06:39 AM

Greetings Sony sets have much better viewing angles than the sharp units. Sony sets are also more consistently good ... as opposed to Sharp which is a mixed bag as controls work sometimes on some sets and not others. regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Tim Jin

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor

• 526 posts

Posted December 19 2011 - 06:51 AM

Thanks! I plan to get the set ISF or THX calibrated also. As a calibrator, which brands do you prefer?

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts

Posted December 19 2011 - 09:12 AM

Greetings for flat panels, I like sets that give me lots of controls that actually work the way they are supposed to. Controls to correct stuff that isn't right ... out of the box. Samsung are good here. LG sets are good here too. Sony ... not as many controls, but well built that the missing controls are not needed. Sharp and Toshiba are mixed bag ... (I personally have a 46" Sony LCD ... a 42" Panasonic LCD ... a 50" Samsung plasma ... a 55" LG LED-lcd local dimming 3D set and JVC RS2 projector) Regards

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,614 posts

Posted December 23 2011 - 05:21 AM

After six years I find myself looking for a new TV as well. I've been a longtime Sony fan but I just did some window shopping and I'm very impressed with the Samsung UN55D7000. The comment about the glare has me thinking, tho. How much of a problem is this, typically? We have a light 'leak' from around some blinds directly across from the TV and even with our current TV's matte finish it's really annoying.

Is anyone familiar with the current line of Samsungs?

Also, does anyone know if the LED TVs exhibit the rainbow effect? I originally bought a DLP and after about two hours of watching it I started to see the rainbows. It got so bad I couldn't watch it without getting a headache. I haven't seen much mention of it in recent years.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts

Posted December 23 2011 - 05:45 AM

Greetings No rainbows on LCD/LED. But 3D viewing is another matter. 20% of the population will get headaches and dizziness and nausea from prolonged use of 3D ... (greater than 15 min) Far higher numbers here than DLP rainbows where 20% saw it but 2% got headaches. Glare is glare. Plasma actually has less glare than a lot of the LED sets now. If you have lived with a CRT tv for 40 years, glare is hardly impossible to handle. Regards

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Tim Jin

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor

• 526 posts

Posted December 28 2011 - 05:06 AM

I'm thinking about in getting the new Sony LED dimming with the gorilla glass. Either for 46 or 55. How is the glare from the gorilla glass?

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts

Posted December 28 2011 - 05:18 AM

Greetings It's glass ... Same as the glass of a CRT tube people used for last 50 years. :) regards

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,647 posts

Posted January 07 2012 - 05:19 PM

(I personally have a 46" Sony LCD ... a 42" Panasonic LCD ... a 50" Samsung plasma ... a 55" LG LED-lcd local dimming 3D set and JVC RS2 projector) Regards

What do you use to correct the out-of-spec colour on your RS2, since it has no colour management system?
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted January 08 2012 - 10:30 AM

Michael uses an outboard processor. DVDO DUO.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,647 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 04:46 PM

Thanks. I looked at that processor, but I won't buy another piece of DVDO equipment. The support of the VP50 Pro was abysmal and the power supply sucked. Mine got fried when BC Hydro performed a service power outage. I still haven't bothered to replace the PS because the unit is useless for the JVC. I've also looked at the Radiance. It looks like a decent unit but, unfortunately, it is just too damn expensive and their "lower end" processor doesn't have enough inputs and outputs.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."