Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

optical audio out and 5.1 surround

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Thesystem3

Thesystem3

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 19 2011 - 05:21 AM

Hi, I wanted to get a ps3 or bluray and i noticed it has an optical audio out, is there any way i can connect the optical audio out to a convertor that will output to the 5 speakers? (the speakers are a plugin with speaker wire crimped in a +/- plug that originally went into my sony surround receiver that had center, left, right, sub, etc.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,983 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted December 19 2011 - 07:05 AM

The "converter" is called a receiver.  Posted Image

The receiver does two things that MUST be done between the optical cable and the speakers:

- Since the optical cable carries a single, encoded, digital surround sound audio stream, the receiver has to decode the single audio stream into the 6 discrete channels of audio information (5 main speakers and the LFE, or subwoofer channel).

- It has to amplify the audio signal before it's sent out to each speaker.

Without these two steps, the optical cable and speaker wire (that go to the speakers) are essentially incompatible.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!