Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is this color shift acceptable? Sony 55" HX929

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   stevedensmore

stevedensmore

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 14 2011 - 02:30 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ Here's how that scene should look... http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ Someone at Sony support was able to pass photos of my HX929 on to the VP of TV Engineering for evaluation, here's what he had to say... "There does not appear to me to be a problem with the color uniformity, but he may not like the algorithm determining what color is displayed. The Family Guy scene may be the TV or may be his Laptop…..I’m not sure which is correct. Nothing we can do about it. I see from the test pattern a slight right edge mura, but that would appear as a shadow and not a color uniformity issue and that is not his complaint. That is also in spec. If the customer is not satisfied with the set I agree at this point we should buy it back and not extend another offer. The HX929 is one the highest rated LCD TV ever by CNET and ENGADGET so it is not like there is anything better we can offer. - Tim"

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted December 15 2011 - 12:44 AM

what do you want ? They are offering you a buy back. LCDs have lots of issues The engineer is arguing that it is a light uniformity issue and not a color issue (whatever.....it is still an issue).

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   stevedensmore

stevedensmore

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 15 2011 - 01:56 AM

Maybe so, but I've only seen one other person with a similar issue on this particular model. Given there's 16 months left on its warranty, I want them to repair or swap it as they should. How would a light uniformity problem cause a color shift like this?

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted December 15 2011 - 04:17 AM

Greetings Interesting. Is the display calibrated even on the user end? The Cleveland image just looks like one of the auto color controls is turned on. A red boost. Grayscale shifts do not make reds glow ... Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   stevedensmore

stevedensmore

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 15 2011 - 06:41 AM

Greetings Interesting. Is the display calibrated even on the user end? The Cleveland image just looks like one of the auto color controls is turned on. A red boost. Grayscale shifts do not make reds glow ... Regards

I've tried pretty much every combination of settings from AVS forum's official HX929 tweak thread. The color saturation might be exaggerated by my cameras settings, but the color shift is evident in person. Even the two techs who were sent out by two different authorized repair centers confirmed this. Sony then asked for photos to confirm the issue and denied repair, stating that what I was seeing is "normal".

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   stevedensmore

stevedensmore

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 15 2011 - 02:06 PM

I can turn color all the way down to 0 and the right side of the screen is still greenish brown.