What's new

HBO's "Luck" (Dustin Hoffman, David Milch, Farina, Nolte) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This launches on January 29th, but the pilot was previewed Sunday night, post-Boardwalk Empire. Probably best to avoid spoilers, but Mann directed the shit out of it, and it's one of Milch's most challenging pieces of writing to date. So much so, in fact, I'm worried folks will be turned off by it. Possible neither Mann or Milch's paramount concern is the viewer understanding exactly what is happening in a scene the first time they see it. Shades of Voight in Heat at times -- which is definitely a good thing. And Hoffman bringing his "A"-game? Holy crap. It was damn exciting seeing Hoffman act like that -- to really be bringing so much to it. With the suit, white shirt, and slicked-back hair, he almost reminded me of Cruise in Collateral. Dustin Hoffman, Dennis Farina, Nick Nolte. Michael Gambon, Joan Allen, Ted Levine, Kevin Dunn. Actors from both the stables of Milch and Mann. Can't beat it.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Holy hell. For a show with a first episode that was a study in subtlety and understatement, they took a hard turn away from that in episode two. It was like a dump truck backed in, and just unloaded a fuck-ton of exposition. But it still worked, and now I'm anxious to see how Ace's fall-taking for his coked-out business partner affects his return to the business. I'm not sure about how Hoffman's plan is supposed to work yet, but I don't think he's not allowed to go to the track, as much as he didn't want to go straight off, in order to be seen with "known" associates. Considering that his crime wasn't gambling-related, I can't see why he wouldn't be allowed to go to a perfectly legal venue like Santa Anita. Kevin Dunn should be kissing his agent, and also Milch, and Mann -- for the past four years, he's been pretty much known as a joke, at least on the screen, with his "Transformers"-bit. But he's doing a helluva job here. And Don Harvey, who was one of the Eight Men Out, and was on Miami Vice more than 20 years ago -- bonus as the racetrack spokesman. Between getting slapped around by Depp in Public Enemies and this, he's now one of Mann's stock actors, it seems. Also, a freaking-hot Kerry Condon with her butt in the air (on a horse, but it's about the small victories). Looking forward to more obsessive observations about Condon in this forum. It'll make me feel slightly less creepy.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I've always like Kerry Condon...but, I do have a whole new appreciation now! Ace can be at the track. What he is unable to do is get a license to own a horse. Not in CA. He probably can't get a driver's license either..so Gus is a good guy to have around - he drives him AND owns his horse for him! That episode had TOO much exposition. However, combined with the first episode I now feel ready and armed for the season. I hope it kicks into high gear now.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I had to look up in the 'Luck' wiki what was going on with that sequence with Lonnie and the two women. It was about an insurance scam. That went completely over my head.

It's one thing keeping track of human characters, but when I have to keep track of horse characters it gets tricky!

Enjoying the show nonetheless...

kkmd

Auditioning
Real Name
kkmd
Interesting show. Looks like I'll be following it for a while! To see the recap of the first episode, check out: http://thecelebritycafe.com/reviews/luck-season-1-episode-1-recap-02-07-2012

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Canceled due to multiple horse deaths. Apparently, shooting had begun on season two, so no word on what will still be aired (never seen it, don't know if season one already finished).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard, they had halted filming with horses but they had not cancelled the series and what they're shooting is still part of the first season (though they better hurry because the finale airs on March 25). That being said, I think the horse deaths are going to be the way that HBO un-renews the show for a second season since its ratings are terrible. And by 'terrible', I mean that Treme does better than Luck. All in all, the show is VERY complicated and fascinating but tough to get into because I have no clue about horse racing and they aren't interested in teaching me or trying to reiterate characters' motivations, etc. EDIT: I shouldn't have doubted Greg because it is cancelled. While nothing should die to make a TV show, it's a shame that the show didn't get to continue because there's never been anything like it on TV.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by joshEH

Now we'll never know if Jason Gedrick was gonna win at poker, then lose at poker, then win, then lose, then lose again, then win. Then get cussed out by Kevin Dunn. Then lose at poker.

How can you leave out being teased by the "Chinamin"?

The show had some good qualities, but I can't say I'll miss it all that much. I really liked the Escalante character and I can't help but think there's an hour drama devoted to the four amigos.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Canceled due to multiple horse deaths. Apparently, shooting had begun on season two, so no word on what will still be aired (never seen it, don't know if season one already finished).
Never saw an episode but it's funny what the mind reads into things. On reading your comment, my first thought was they didn't start shooting horses until season two. Obviously they weren't shooting horses, but when you skim over something you don't always get the correct meaning.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Whatever the quality of the show might have been, I wish the combination of David Milch and HBO nothing but failure and suckitude until or unless they FINISH FREAKING DEADWOOD!

Joe_H

Screenwriter
It was interesting and ambitious, but I'm still not sure I actually enjoyed watching it. I guess now I won't have to bother with the last two episodes I have recorded and haven't gotten around to though.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I just caught up on the last three eps a few days ago and was really starting to enjoy it once Ace started his revenge plan. Would've liked to see how that played out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Charlie Campisi said:
I just caught up on the last three eps a few days ago and was really starting to enjoy it once Ace started his revenge plan. Would've liked to see how that played out.
The remainder of the season (two episodes) will air. Most HBO shows tie their plots up by the end of the season so I expect to see to see his plan come together by the end of the year.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
From what I read they were in the process of filming S2, E2 when production halted. Since then I haven't read any info whether E2 will be finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks