- - - - -

Verizon making Netflix play?! Do you think that will make things better?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1

Posted December 13 2011 - 05:01 AM

Verizon is getting its full turn in the rumor mill. Last week, word had it that Verizon is looking to launch an OTT subscription service. Next, Verizon was teaming up with Redbox. And the latest rumor yesterday is that Verizon is Posted Imageplanning a bid to acquire Netflix, which sent Netflix's beleaguered stock up by 6%, and more today. As always, you can never be sure what to believe. But let's assume for a moment that Verizon is sniffing around Netflix. While the combination makes a certain amount of sense, Verizon's big challenge will be that if Netflix is truly in play, unlike others, I would expect pretty healthy bidding competition.

I'm wondering if Verizon would actually make things better for Netflix?  Clearly Netflix hasn't been making wise decisions as I and 800K other Netflix users left the service in the last quarter.  However, would Verizon owning Netflix make things better?  Granted, Verizon has great service in terms of coverage, though AT&T recently beat them out on speed where they have service, but does that mean they would be a great content provider?  They sold off their FIOS offerings in the NW, so it seems odd that they would want back into this kind of play.  The folks that I knew that had the Verizon FIOS service LOVED it, until it was sold and then the offering for TV became uncompetitive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users