Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Kino Press Release: Buster Keaton Seven Chances (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,966 posts

Posted December 12 2011 - 04:38 AM

Posted Image
Kino Classics is proud to announce the Blu-ray and DVD release of Buster Keaton's Seven Chances (1925)

Posted Image 

Posted Image

New York, NY - December 12, 2011 - Kino Classics is proud to announce the Blu-ray and DVD release of Buster Keaton's comedy classic, Seven Chances (1925). This is the eighth of Mr. Keaton's feature-length comedies that Kino has brought to the Blu-ray format, in addition to a collection of all 19 of his independently-produced short silent comedies, released this past summer.

Now, Kino Classics is proud to present this Blu-ray edition of Seven Chances, newly mastered in HD from 35mm materials preserved by the Library of Congress, and featuring a new restoration of the film's original, 2-color Technicolor prologue, which has been meticulously restored by film historian Eric Grayson.
Seven Chances comes to Blu-ray and DVD on December 13th, with a SRP of $34.95 for the Blu-ray, and a SRP of $29.95 for the DVD.

Posted Image

Kino's special Ultimate Edition of Seven Chances comes packed with special features, including an audio commentary with film historians Ken Gordon and Bruce Lawton; a visual essay by "Silent Echoes" author John Bengtson that explores the areas of Los Angeles that Keaton used for filming locations for the film; an analysis of the newly-restored Technicolor sequence by film historian Eric Grayson, which includes a detailed description of the restoration as well as a comparison of the different source materials used in the restoration process; and a gallery of production stills.
To top it off, this edition features two bonus shorts: A Brideless Groom (1947), a Three Stooges short that was co-written by Seven Chances screenwriter Clyde Bruckman and recycles the premise of Seven Chances; and a rare 1904 film from the Thomas Edison company, How a French Nobleman Got a Wife Through the New York Herald Personal Columns, directed by Edwin S. Porter, an early chase comedy about a French count, newly arrived in New York, who places an ad in the personals looking for a bride, with unexpectedly disastrous results! This film features a chase sequence that serves as a kind of prototype for the famous chase that concludes Seven Chances.
This edition also features a score arranged and conducted by Robert Israel, presented in 2.0 stereo and DTS HD Master Audio 5.1.

Posted ImageAdapted from the hit Broadway play written by Roi Cooper Megrue (and produced for the stage by the legendary impresario David Belasco), Seven Chances was scripted by Clyde Bruckman, Jean Havez and Joseph Mitchell, all of whom had worked with Keaton on his previous three films (the following year, Bruckman would also co-direct Keaton's The General). Keaton is supported in the film by character actor and frequent supporting player Snitz Edwards as the lawyer, T. Roy Barnes as his loyal business partner, and Ruth Dwyer as Keaton's true love interest. There's also an early appearance by future Hollywood star Jean Arthur.

The plot revolves around Jimmie Shannon (Keaton), a young businessman who faces financial ruin and worse after losing a fortune in a shady business deal. However, as luck would have it, Jimmie's lawyer (Snitz Edwards) informs him that he stands to inherit seven million dollars - provided he marries by 7:00pm on his 27th birthday. Of course, Jimmie's 27th birthday is that day, and he botches his proposal to the love of his life (Ruth Dwyer), leaving him desperate to find a prospective bride before the day's end.
The film consists of Keaton's hilarious attempts to propose to seven different women, with disastrous results. When his business partner (T. Roy Barnes) places an ad in the paper for a prospective bride to help Jimmie inherit his fortune, Jimmie shows up at the church only to be met by an army of would-be brides, which sets up perhaps the most famous and wildest chase sequence in any of Keaton's films!

Posted Image

Special Features: 
* Audio commentary and conversation by film historians Ken Gordon and Bruce Lawton

* A Brideless Groom (1947, 17 min.), a Three Stooges short that recycles the premise of Seven Chances, co-written by Keaton collaborator Clyde Bruckman
How a French Nobleman Got a Wife Through the New York Herald Personal Columns, a 1904 Edison short directed by Edwin S. Porter
* Visual essay on the film's locations, by Silent Echoes author John Bengtson
* Analysis of the Technicolor sequence by film historian Eric Grayson
* Gallery of production stills
* Music arranged and conducted by Robert Israel, in 2.0 stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

U.S.   1925   B&W / Color   56 Min.

Seven Chances (1925)
Director: Buster Keaton
Genre: Comedy
Blu-ray SRP: $34.95
DVD SRP: $29.95
Street date: December 13, 2011

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 547 posts

Posted December 12 2011 - 07:22 AM

NitrateVille talks to Eric Grayson about his video restoration of the color sequence: Click here.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,458 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 12 2011 - 09:33 AM

I'm still holding off on these in hopes of a blu version of the "Art Of Buster Keaton" boxset.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,711 posts

Posted December 12 2011 - 04:04 PM

My preorder has shipped. I wish they had done another double feature like Go West/Battling Butler. We're talking short films and discs with lots of space. But I am looking forward to it.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,285 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted December 12 2011 - 04:13 PM

just waiting on Amazon prime to deliver this, and have read a couple of reviews, hint , hint (Sony) i hope this isn't the only Three Stooges  Short or Feature that i will get to see in 1080P. As for Kino, i have been happy with all of there Keaton's, and am waiting for The Navigator to be announced !
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   jaaguir

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted December 28 2011 - 04:54 AM

NitrateVille talks to Eric Grayson about his video restoration of the color sequence: Click here.

There's a brief but interesting featurette on that restoration. Seems like Kino has put real work into this release, instead of just licencing whatever print looked the best (which would already be a good enough job, since public domain releases by other companies don't get even remotely that treatment). Haven't had time to watch the feature itself yet, but after the gorgeous "Go west/Battling butler" release I'm ready to be overjoyed again.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   jaaguir

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted December 30 2011 - 05:40 AM

I just watched the movie, and the B&W print looks SUPERB. Very sharp, gorgeous to look at. Bravo Kino, keep it up.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,711 posts

Posted December 30 2011 - 11:35 AM

I just watched the movie, and the B&W print looks SUPERB. Very sharp, gorgeous to look at. Bravo Kino, keep it up.

Indeed. The color scenes are a bit dodgy; but the B/W is beautiful.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Supporting Actor

• 514 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted January 01 2012 - 03:48 AM

The 3 Stooges short included in the extras ( which is public domain ) is a contrasty dupe print with muffled sound and hardly worth the effort of an HD transfer. You would be better off watching the SD version included in the 3 Stooges Collection Volume 5 which comes from original materials and looks terrific.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 01 2012 - 03:56 AM

The blackened eye on the cover art is a nice touch, don't you think.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   jaaguir

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted January 02 2012 - 05:03 AM

The 3 Stooges short included in the extras ( which is public domain ) is a contrasty dupe print with muffled sound and hardly worth the effort of an HD transfer. You would be better off watching the SD version included in the 3 Stooges Collection Volume 5 which comes from original materials and looks terrific.

I did notice it was contrasty indeed. I wouldn't have thought a dvd could look better though (if only because of compression artificats), but I haven't seen the dvd-s culled from original negatives. Maybe the higher quality of the source makes up for the downcoversion and the end result looks sharper. I don't know, I'll take your word for it. It would be interesting to be able to check that out, but I don't buy dvd-s anymore (budget). This was my absolute first contact with the Three Stooges ever, and I was surprised to find them funny. It still works pretty well. Also there's a 10 minute short produced in 1904. I guess it looks as good as can be expected. I believe it's 1080i. I always find such early productions fascinating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users