Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Are we going to get A Few Words About... The Mexican Santa Claus movie?

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts

Posted December 09 2011 - 01:10 PM

The bluray release isn't perfect, but it is light years beyond any previous home video release and likely much better than it looked on original theatrical release.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,441 posts

Posted December 09 2011 - 02:10 PM

I'd join you, but my son became enraptured with the BD cover and seems to have stashed the disc somewhere. Maybe I'll find iit by New Year's.:)

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted December 09 2011 - 02:58 PM

Did Criterion release the original Mexican version or the dubbed and cut version made for American audiences by four-waller K. Gordon Murray ? Posted Image I've only seen the K. Gordon Murray version, in theaters when I was a kid in the sixties and recently on a public domain DVD. Of course the Devil runs around in red pajamas, has red horns and a long tale with a pitchfork at the end. I have fondness for the kitschy film. It looks like something Elvis Presley might have cooked up in the kitchen, along with fried banana & peanut butter sandwiches. Posted Image Posted Image

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,441 posts

Posted December 09 2011 - 03:13 PM

Criterion, I wish! With scholarly booklets and a featurette with Wes Anderson about how it changed his life. :) VCI released it...or let it escape.

#5 of 12 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted December 09 2011 - 05:10 PM

A color bar pops up 50:00 into the movie! I contacted VCI via their Facebook page and they were impressed that I spotted it! They said to contact their customer service department for a replacement!

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,441 posts

Posted December 10 2011 - 05:48 AM

The color bar may be the best thing about it.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted December 10 2011 - 07:11 AM

Hush your mouth! Santa's listening! :D On another note, I found out Holland Releasing has a restored version of SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS available that looks really nice...but no plans for retail sales. Only for theatrical exhibition. :( Phooey! http://hollandreleas...m=0&s=296&id=81

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,441 posts

Posted December 10 2011 - 07:21 AM

LOL, as they say.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts

Posted December 11 2011 - 12:29 PM

I had a big Christmas party last night and screened it for the crowd on my ten foot projection system. The stray frame of color bars really wasn't noticeable. But the sharpness and image quality of the bluray was better than it had a right to be. I'm positive this film has never looked better.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   AlexF

AlexF

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted December 11 2011 - 01:33 PM

Hush your mouth! Santa's listening! :D On another note, I found out Holland Releasing has a restored version of SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS available that looks really nice...but no plans for retail sales. Only for theatrical exhibition. :( Phooey! http://hollandreleas...m=0&s=296&id=81

Well, it's not restored, but that movie is on blu-ray at least... packaged with Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale. Blu-ray version only. Not the DVD version.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 514 posts

Posted December 12 2011 - 05:42 AM

Well, it's not restored, but that movie is on blu-ray at least... packaged with Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale. Blu-ray version only. Not the DVD version.

From what I understand, it's a really poor SD version.
Brian

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   AlexF

AlexF

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted December 12 2011 - 10:46 PM

From what I understand, it's a really poor SD version.

It's sorta on par with the prior DVD release (from what I recall of the old DVD release).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users