Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

5000 Fingers of Dr. T removed song verse.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted December 07 2011 - 04:36 PM

There is a verse that has been removed from the Dungeon Song according to Wikipedia among other sites. The verse is as follows: "THIRD FLOOR DUNGEON Household appliances. Spike beds, electric chairs, gas chambers, roasting pots, and scalping devices." Wikipedia also claims that it was in the original film but "edited out for the re-release and television runs of the film and also the current restoration for DVD release of the film." It does not, however, list a source for this information. I believe the verse was written and probably filmed because there were three floors before you reached the bottom dungeon and the editing looks like something may have been removed. However there doesn't appear to be any break in the music. I also wonder if there was any re-release of the film since it was a financial flop. It also seems doubtful that they would remove it for video release and re-edit the music to make it as smooth as it is. If I had to guess, I would guess that the verse was filmed but was deemed to gruesome and removed before its initial release. Does anyone have any information on this?

#2 of 7 alistairKerr

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted December 09 2011 - 08:41 PM

There is a recent 3 CD set issued by Film Score Monthly (FSM Vol 13 No 16), which has the complete score plus composer sketches by Frederick Hollander. This set has the verse you mention (disc 2/track1) included. Well worth getting hold of a copy if you are a Dr T completist! Hope this helps. Alistair

#3 of 7 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 26 2012 - 04:38 AM

Do the liner notes on the cd explain about when the verse was removed?

#4 of 7 alistairKerr

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted January 26 2012 - 08:53 PM

All it says in the liner notes is as follows: "The third verse of the elevator song was cut from the finished film" (The elevator operator who sings it was Alan Aric.) Alistair

#5 of 7 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted February 10 2012 - 04:49 PM

Thanks. I would take that to mean the Wikipedia was wrong and that it was never released with the third verse.

#6 of 7 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 11:57 AM

are there any plans to bring this title to Blu-ray?

#7 of 7 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,002 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 08 2013 - 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

are there any plans to bring this title to Blu-ray?

This might be perfect for Twilight Time, since they've done so many of the Columbia musicals.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users