Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Farscape: The Complete Series Blu-ray Review

TV Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted December 06 2011 - 04:46 PM

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted December 07 2011 - 03:51 AM

I never bought the DVDs so...my decision is easy. But that is a shame about the original masters. I would love to see those show, basically for the first time, in real HD. Maybe they'll turn up. How do they just disappear?
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,195 posts

Posted December 07 2011 - 07:13 AM

I haven't purchased any "Farscape" since The Starburst Editions -- and the first two seasons of that were issued on DVD-18 discs which occasionally provokes "spaz mode" on my Panny Blu-ray player. Based on this Review I'm going to "Make the Leap". If nothing else I'll save gobs of shelf space *and* won't have to agonize about playback issues while viewing the first two seasons. As far as the reported "noise" around the edges of the frame, since I'll be viewing on a projector I can just set my "overscan" setting to 4. I tend to do this anyway when viewing 4:3 aspect ratio TV shows on this setup. It makes the transfer seem "wider" (closer to 1.66:1); *and* masks all frame noise. (For some reason, all of my Star Trek: DS9 discs have the same issue with noise around the frame.) One additional item I would be interested in knowing about is how the 16:9 aspect ratio Fourth Season looks on this set. The "Starburst Editions" provided very mediocre video transfers of this season with lots of evident edge enhancement. Hopefully these new Blu-rays will at least provide an improvement in that area.
Joseph
---------------

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,467 posts

Posted September 12 2012 - 01:18 PM

Such a great series. This is a great set especially on the audio front. Sure hope that Hallmark sees fit to release The PeaceKeeper Wars on Blu-ray some day.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted February 12 2013 - 11:21 PM

bumping this since it's on sale.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   mpompey

mpompey

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 02:30 AM

I will gladly double dip on this series. Not only do I have all of the DVD releases and the horrible series finale. (Thanks scifi channel), But I also have ripped them all to my media server to stream to my phone. But I always wanted to have these in better sound than the DVD originally offered. Looks like this is gonna be a great weekend.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,467 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 04:47 AM

Not only do I have all of the DVD releases and the horrible series finale. (Thanks scifi channel), Looks like this is gonna be a great weekend.
Thank goodness for The PeaceKeepers War which resolves the series finale! Really want that on BluRay too! BTW for those that are interested a group of friends and I are working our way through the series in podcast reviews. We are about to finish Season 3. It's been a fantastic experience with some great insight from veterans and newbies alike. You can find them all - here.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#8 of 14 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,792 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 16 2013 - 01:09 PM

Does this blu ray set have that finale in it? It's unclear to me from the review. I'm going to add this to my amazon wishlist, and that finale if necessary. Is there any benefit to the blu-ray over DVD? DVD is $40, buying individual seasons, a $60 savings.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,588 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted February 16 2013 - 01:14 PM

The complete series Blu-ray set does NOT contain the "Peacekeeper Wars" finale. Don't blame A&E - they don't have the rights to the finale, which is distributed by Lionsgate. To date the finale is only available on DVD.
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,195 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 08:46 AM

Is there any benefit to the blu-ray over DVD? DVD is $40, buying individual seasons, a $60 savings.
The short answer is "Yes!" the Blu-ray set provides: * Better video than the season sets which are currently on sale -- mostly due to compression issues with those sets. When comparing the Blu-ray video with the upscaled DVD "Starburst Editions", the video difference only slightly favors the Blu-ray set. But the "Starburst Editions" typically only placed two-three eps per disc and were sourced from 480p production masters and so were much less prone to compression issues. The DVD season sets currently on sale were sourced from 480i broadcast masters and are packed with 4-5 eps per disc-- and it shows. * Much better audio. (As mentioned in the review above.) * You save *gobs* of shelf space! * Blu-ray is inherently more durable than DVD.
Joseph
---------------

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted February 17 2013 - 09:14 AM

As I stated in my review, the blu-ray sets are upconverted from the 576i PAL broadcast masters.

#12 of 14 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,792 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 09:36 AM

Thanks. What I took from the review is the blu-ray is a wash in quality; a little improvement but new artifacts that aren't in the DVD. (This isn't a criticism of the review; just how i understood it.). My takeaway was, at the double the price, the blu-ray is a bad value compared to the current DVD pricing. For a show that aired in SD, I'd be content paying half price if the DVDs are good quality. But it sounds like the $10 DVD sets are noticeably inferior to the new blu-ray set.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,195 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 09:36 PM

Dave, You could probably "make do" with those $10 per season sets. But I just wanted to make sure that you knew that as problematic as the video is on the Blu-ray "complete season" set it's still better than the video on the A&E DVD sets. The same cannot be said of the long out-of-print ADV "Starburst Editions" -- except for the 16:9 fourth season -- but that set had its own problems due to the first two seasons being issued on dual-sided DVD-18 discs. Just as an example, "Family Ties" -- the first season finale -- is no longer playable at all on my Season 1, Volume 3 "Starburst Edition" set. So this Blu-ray package is probably the best we 'Scapers are ever going to get on optical disc. Even if "somebody" were to suddenly find the production masters, all the CGI SFX would still have to be redone -- just like Star Trek: The Next Generation -- in order to provide a true HD release, and there's no way that's happening anytime soon!
Joseph
---------------

#14 of 14 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,792 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for the elaboration!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users