Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HBO Press Release: Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,241 posts

Posted December 05 2011 - 06:54 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,347 posts

Posted December 05 2011 - 11:27 PM

This is, of course, an outstanding series, and one worthy of blu-ray. But it's hard not to fault HBO for yet another ridiculously overpriced set. Since the dawn of TV-on-DVD, HBO series have been priced much, much higher than other shows, which is even more inappropriate when you consider than a typical HBO season has less than half the number of episodes of a show on a network.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,151 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted December 06 2011 - 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Favate 

This is, of course, an outstanding series, and one worthy of blu-ray. But it's hard not to fault HBO for yet another ridiculously overpriced set. Since the dawn of TV-on-DVD, HBO series have been priced much, much higher than other shows, which is even more inappropriate when you consider than a typical HBO season has less than half the number of episodes of a show on a network.

Yes they are more expensive than a regular show, but they are more like a huge miniseries.  Rome, Band of Brothers, Pacific, all are titles I gladly spent money on and the production values are more than a standard series.  I will be putting this on the top of my list.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,347 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 07:42 AM

Now that the blu-ray is here, I stand by my comments in post 2. Five discs for 10 episodes? That's a bit much, and I can fit three seasons of Mad Men on my shelf for the space GoT will occupy. Don't get me wrong, no one puts out more quality shows than HBO, but their home video releases seem stuck in 2001.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,861 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 09:50 AM

1st your point of them being higher than other TV shows is definately true and valid. But on HBO's side I think that since the production costs and values of two of their episodes are roughly the cost of a movie they view this as five movies which would have a retail price of $19.99 each and thats where they derive their prices. Rome, Deadwood, Band of Brothers and others at that time were $89.99-$99.99 a season for regular DVD so they have dropped since 5-6 years ago.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   CrashGordon

CrashGordon

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 05:18 AM

Ten episodes plus other features for $34.99 on blu ray from amazon. I have it and it is worth every penny The video and audio are exquisite.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,047 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 22 2012 - 05:42 AM

Absolutely brilliant show and first rate box set. Finished S1 last night and promptly bought all 5 books ok Kindle. It's amazing how faithful they are to the source material!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 5,112 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 06:58 AM

Absolutely brilliant show and first rate box set. Finished S1 last night and promptly bought all 5 books ok Kindle. It's amazing how faithful they are to the source material!

I read the first book roughly in parallel with Season 1 last year. Typically I would watch an episode and then read until the book began to vary. The first six episodes of Season 1 track remarkably well. After that the sequences change a little between the series and the book, in terms of placement but not content. Overall, the level of fidelity to the book in Season 1 is extraordinary. I plan to take the same approach to Season 2 (although this time I will be re-reading A Clash of Kings vs. a first read through.) - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users