-

Photo
- - - - -

HBO Press Release: Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,574 posts

Posted December 05 2011 - 06:54 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

"Epic Win!" - Time Magazine  

"Pulls you in...doesn't let go" - Los Angeles Times    

GAME OF THRONES®: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON     

Available March 6, 2012 on Blu-ray™ Disc, DVD and Digital Download      

Loaded with Exclusive Bonus Content Including Comprehensive Histories, Anatomy of an Episode, In Episode Guides & Much More!

Game of Thrones, one of the most elaborate and visually striking series on television, makes its highly-anticipated Blu-ray, DVD and digital download debut on March 6, 2012.  Based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling series A Song of Ice and Fire, the sweeping fantasy saga instantly became one of HBO's biggest hits. Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season five-disc BD ($79.98) and DVD ($59.99) sets contain a monumental array of bonus materials and interactive features that will thrill fans of the series and new viewers alike.     
Game of Thrones is "tantalizing" (Los Angeles Times), "excellent" (The Hollywood Reporter) and an "HBO Triumph" (Boston Globe) that won two 2011 Emmy® awards including Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series (Peter Dinklage).  The drama follows kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noblemen as they vie for power in a land where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime.  Two powerful families are engaged in a deadly cat-and-mouse game for control of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. As betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural forces shake the four corners of the Kingdoms, their bloody struggle for the Iron Throne will have unforeseen and far-reaching consequences.  

Bonus Material 
The Blu-ray and DVD bonus materials included in Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season
are as epic as the show it represents.  A full length, 60 minute Anatomy of an Episode, extensive In-Episode Guides, meticulous histories and fascinating behind-the-scenes featurettes all detail the exceptional storytelling, superb acting and stunning visual effects that went into making this sprawling production.  Content includes:   

Blu-ray - includes all DVD features plus:   

·  Blu-ray Complete Guide to Westeros - an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one, PLUS 24 exclusive histories of the Seven Kingdoms as told by the characters themselves done with animated illustrations that provide more information on the background of Game of Thrones.
·  In-Episode Guide - in-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations, and relevant histories while each episode plays. 
·  Anatomy of an Episode - an in-episode experience that explores the creative minds and colossal efforts behind episode six, "A Golden Crown."
·  Hidden Dragon Eggs - find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.

DVD:  

·  Complete Guide to Westeros - an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one.
·  Making Game of Thrones -an exclusive 30-minute feature including never-before-seen footage from the set and interviews from the cast and crew.
·  Character Profiles - profiles of 15 major characters as described by the actors portraying them. 
·  Creating the Show Open - an inside look at the creation of the Emmy®-winning opening title sequence for Game of Thrones.
·  From the Book to the Screen - executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss along with author George R.R. Martin talk about the challenges of bringing Martin's epic fantasy novel to life on HBO.
·  The Night's Watch - an in-depth look at the unique order of men who patrol and protect the Wall, a 700 foot ice structure that separates the Seven Kingdoms from the darkness beyond.
·  Creating the Dothraki Language - an insightful glance into the comprehensive language created for the Dothraki people in Game of Thrones.
·  Audio Commentaries - Seven audio commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Mark Addy, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Bryan Cogman, Harry Lloyd, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor.
Game of Thrones series regulars include (in alphabetical order):  Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon, Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy, Sean Bean as Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jaime Lannister, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Michelle Fairley as Lady Catelyn Stark, Aidan Gillen as Petyr Baelish ("Littlefinger"), Jack Gleeson as Prince Joffrey Baratheon, Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont, Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Lena Headey as Queen Cersei Lannister, Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark, Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen, Richard Madden as Robb Stark, Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane ("The Hound"), Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark and Maisie Williams as Arya Stark.  The series is executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; co-executive producers, Carolyn Strauss, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, Ralph Vicinanza and George R.R. Martin; producers, Mark Huffam and Frank Doelger; directors include Brian Kirk, Daniel Minahan, Alan Taylor and Tim Van Patten; writers include David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson and George R.R. Martin.
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season  Blu-ray Disc, DVD and Digital Download
Street Date:                       March 6, 2012
Order Date:                       January 31, 2011
Rating:                                      TV-MA
Runtime:                                Approx. 600 minutes (not including extra features) 
BD SRP Price:                       $79.98 
DVD SRP Price:                   $59.99       

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 8 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,795 posts

Posted December 05 2011 - 11:27 PM

This is, of course, an outstanding series, and one worthy of blu-ray. But it's hard not to fault HBO for yet another ridiculously overpriced set. Since the dawn of TV-on-DVD, HBO series have been priced much, much higher than other shows, which is even more inappropriate when you consider than a typical HBO season has less than half the number of episodes of a show on a network.

#3 of 8 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,741 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted December 06 2011 - 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Favate 

This is, of course, an outstanding series, and one worthy of blu-ray. But it's hard not to fault HBO for yet another ridiculously overpriced set. Since the dawn of TV-on-DVD, HBO series have been priced much, much higher than other shows, which is even more inappropriate when you consider than a typical HBO season has less than half the number of episodes of a show on a network.

Yes they are more expensive than a regular show, but they are more like a huge miniseries.  Rome, Band of Brothers, Pacific, all are titles I gladly spent money on and the production values are more than a standard series.  I will be putting this on the top of my list.

#4 of 8 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,795 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 07:42 AM

Now that the blu-ray is here, I stand by my comments in post 2. Five discs for 10 episodes? That's a bit much, and I can fit three seasons of Mad Men on my shelf for the space GoT will occupy. Don't get me wrong, no one puts out more quality shows than HBO, but their home video releases seem stuck in 2001.

#5 of 8 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,386 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 09:50 AM

1st your point of them being higher than other TV shows is definately true and valid. But on HBO's side I think that since the production costs and values of two of their episodes are roughly the cost of a movie they view this as five movies which would have a retail price of $19.99 each and thats where they derive their prices. Rome, Deadwood, Band of Brothers and others at that time were $89.99-$99.99 a season for regular DVD so they have dropped since 5-6 years ago.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#6 of 8 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 05:18 AM

Ten episodes plus other features for $34.99 on blu ray from amazon. I have it and it is worth every penny The video and audio are exquisite.

#7 of 8 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,218 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 22 2012 - 05:42 AM

Absolutely brilliant show and first rate box set. Finished S1 last night and promptly bought all 5 books ok Kindle. It's amazing how faithful they are to the source material!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#8 of 8 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,655 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 06:58 AM

Absolutely brilliant show and first rate box set. Finished S1 last night and promptly bought all 5 books ok Kindle. It's amazing how faithful they are to the source material!

I read the first book roughly in parallel with Season 1 last year. Typically I would watch an episode and then read until the book began to vary. The first six episodes of Season 1 track remarkably well. After that the sequences change a little between the series and the book, in terms of placement but not content. Overall, the level of fidelity to the book in Season 1 is extraordinary. I plan to take the same approach to Season 2 (although this time I will be re-reading A Clash of Kings vs. a first read through.) - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.