Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Preventing Beginners Mistakes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   PW53

PW53

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 06:21 AM

I have a 26" LG LD350 tv, my signal comes over the airwaves amplified by a signal converter box and the only other peripheral is a bottom of the line Magnavox dvd player. I would like to add a Sony HT-CT150 Home Theater Soundbar to this set-up but I have limited audio/video know-how. I am however quick to learn once things are explained to me. Could anyone lend me a guiding hand as to how to set this "system" up? Would I need special cables, can my use of remotes be simplified (I have 3 now: tv, dvd player and converter box), etc. Your help would be most welcomed and appreciated. Thanks so much in advance, Paula

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,855 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 01 2011 - 06:46 AM

Hi Paula!

Welcome to the HTF! [url=http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/]

Push the main "Power off" button.  Everything powers down.

The way these remote controls are programmed is by entering the specific devices you own (brand/model #) on software which connects to the internet and which then programs the remote via a USB cable.  Easy and simple.  All remotes go in a drawer...except the Harmony remote.

Us geeky HT guys which populate this forum talk all the time about how much we love these remotes...along with our wives (who like them even more!).  My wife--who HATES complicated gear set-ups--had always said, "I just want to push one button to watch TV (or listen to CDs)!"  Now, she does.

I'm sure others will be along soon to help with your sound bar question.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   PW53

PW53

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 07:30 AM

Hi Mike, Thank you for your warm welcome and the great lengths you went thru to explain the Harmony to me. It sounds like a great idea but I have a question. I do not have internet access at home....can I program the remote away from home where I do have access? Thanks again, paula

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,855 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 01 2011 - 08:41 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by PW53 [url=/t/316628/preventing-beginners-mistakes#post_3875621]

Yes, you can program it anywhere...as long as you can install the software from the CD and connect a USB cable.  Just be sure to have all the makes and models of the HT gear with you!

The lone downside--now that I think about it--is that you won't be able to test it immediately to make sure the remote is all working as it should.  There are the occasional tweaks one might want to make...but probably for the most part you'd be fine.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,764 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 01 2011 - 09:23 AM

I've never used or hooked up a soundbar but it looks like the CT-150 is self-powered with a subwoofer, has three hdmi inputs and one output plus 3 digital audio inputs. It looks like you can easily connect the dvd player to the soundbar with an hdmi cable if the dvd player has an hdmi output. You could also connect the dvd player straight to the display with an hdmi cable and the use an optical cable from the display to the soundbar. If it doesn't then you would use a component cable from the dvd player to the display (the soundbar doesn't have component video connections. You have options as far as connections are concerned. I'm not sure what kind of converter box you're using, or why :) , since over the air audio signals are now digital, but the LG has an optical output which you could connect to the soundbar for audio. The make and model numbers of the converter box and dvd player would be helpfull. Many older dvd players didn't have hdmi connections.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   PW53

PW53

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted December 01 2011 - 12:15 PM

Hi Guys, Thanks so much for your help. The converter box is left over from the signal change in 2009 when I still had an analog tv. Yes, the LG has it's own digital tuner but where I live ALL signals are practically non-existent (mountain). Without box I get one station OTA, with box I get 10. I still think that box is a little miracle machine!!!!!! It is pretty primitive around here: no cable at all in the valley and no cell reception either. Eventhough my stations are not that great I would like to hang on to them if I could. I will get the model #'s and brand names of box and dvd player. I have researched Harmony remote (thanks Mike) and have found out that even that might pose a problem because it may not tune in the "sub" stations. Example: ch.8, 8-1 and 8-2 (CBS). Same for several others (Cox and NBC). My main concern is that I know how to hook up the Sony soundbar to the LG, converter box and dvd and if I need to also order exta cables. If I have to use an army of remotes....... oh wel, such is life. Thanks much for everyone's help so far. I'll get those #'s etc. tomorrow. Paula

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,764 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 01 2011 - 12:24 PM

The easiest way is to leave converter box and dvd player hooked up the way they are and connect the tv's optical output to the surroundbars optical input. Should work fine that way.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   PW53

PW53

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted December 02 2011 - 05:11 AM

Thanks much. If I understand correctly all I would need extra is an optical cable? Are they pretty much all the same or doI need a specific one? Paula

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,855 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 02 2011 - 05:48 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by PW53 [url=/t/316628/preventing-beginners-mistakes#post_3875902]

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   PW53

PW53

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted December 03 2011 - 04:50 AM

Perhaps due to "general stress" in society I sometimes have a tough time coping with the more negative attributes some people display towards others which frustrate and sometimes anger me. As a temporary result (thank goodness!) I fall victim to worry and anguish regarding the future of our world. And then I come across people such as all of you, who, without any benefit to themselves, help complete strangers with great advise and know-how. I thank all of you who have so generously given time and energy to steer me in the right direction with finding solutions to my querry and I will let you know how everything has worked out for me. Have a wonderful holiday season. Paula

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,976 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted December 06 2011 - 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by PW53 

Perhaps due to "general stress" in society I sometimes have a tough time coping with the more negative attributes some people display towards others which frustrate and sometimes anger me. As a temporary result (thank goodness!) I fall victim to worry and anguish regarding the future of our world. And then I come across people such as all of you, who, without any benefit to themselves, help complete strangers with great advise and know-how. I thank all of you who have so generously given time and energy to steer me in the right direction with finding solutions to my querry and I will let you know how everything has worked out for me. Have a wonderful holiday season. Paula

Thanks for your thoughts Paula.  Its people like Mike, Gene, Casey and lots of other great members that help make HTF what it is.  After you get everything hooked up don't forget to check out our DVD, Blu-ray and TV section to help you figure out what to watch on your system!

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   PW53

PW53

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted December 08 2011 - 04:09 AM

Haven't bought/hooked up anything yet because life is very bust at the moment. I will report back when I do and "yes" I will check out other forums on this site as well. Best of Holiday Wishes for All, Paula

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   celsmore

celsmore

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 08 2011 - 06:45 AM

You are very welcome.  :) Yes, you can program it anywhere...as long as you can install the software from the CD and connect a USB cable.  Just be sure to have all the makes and models of the HT gear with you!  The lone downside--now that I think about it--is that you won't be able to test it immediately to make sure the remote is all working as it should.  There are the occasional tweaks one might want to make...but probably for the most part you'd be fine.

One other thing I'd mention (as I just made this mistake myself), get one that has an LCD display. This is the one I have here. Walmart just had it on sale for under $50. I had started with the 300, but if the out of the box settings weren't EXACTLY what you needed, there was no way to customize it. I had to bring it back. The slightly more expensive ones are very customizable, and very useful. We seriously just use the one remote, the others are in a closet somewhere. My wife presses one button, and the remote handles it all for her. Just my $.02, good luck!

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,855 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 08 2011 - 07:53 AM

And a big HTF "welcome" to you, too, Cory! 

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   celsmore

celsmore

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 08 2011 - 08:11 AM

Good luck with that and I hope you find the HTF a cool place to hang out.  By the way, we are VERY good here at helping people like yourself spend your money!  :D

As if I needed any help with that (just ask the wife!). Thanks for the welcome!

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   PW53

PW53

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted December 25 2011 - 04:33 AM

Hello All, I now have all the component information you asked me for so you may be willing to give me some advise as to how to set these up and in which order. I believe the best "cabeling" would be HDMI so I will use those as much as my equipment allows. SIGNAL: Outdoor antenna Converter Box: INSIGNIA NS-DXA1 Input: 1 RF Output: 1 Composite Video, 1 Analog Audio and 1 RF Blu Ray Player: LGBD630 Soundbar: Sony HT-CT150 TV: LG26DLD350 I hope I to hear from you when you have a moment and since today is Christmas I wish you a wonderful day with your family and friends. Thanks so much for your help, Paula