Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Canadian releases on Blu-ray are they typically the same quality as US releases?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 30 2011 - 11:51 AM

I ordered Nowhere boy from a vendor, which turned out to be an alias for inetvideo which is a large Canadian vendor that sells items on Amazon. I try to avoid them because instead of the item listed they send the Canadian equivalent. In this case it is distributed by Maple Pictures. Can I expect this disc to be of the same quality of the US release?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted December 01 2011 - 12:44 AM

I have purchased movies from inetvideo and the only differences I've noticed is they use alternate covers. PQ is mostly good but I can't really compare to the U.S. counterparts for obvious reasons. I've heard of issues such as the transfers being interlaced vs. progressive on some DVDs but otherwise the products should be virtually the same.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 01 2011 - 10:00 AM

Maple titles are usually direct ports of their Lionsgate brethren from below the 49th parallel. In the case of Nowhere Boy, which was a Weinstein Company release handled on BD by Sony, it should also be a direct port, which was the case with my copy of Doubt, which was a Miramax release in the US. The only Canadian studios that warrant suspicion are TVA and Alliance, because TVA releases are not particularly good, and Alliance sometimes use old 1080i masters or crop their releases. Blade and Se7en are two releases that immediately come to mind.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   larryKR

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted December 02 2011 - 04:39 AM

Yes be wary of Alliance, their history is bad. Also the VVS Films release in Canada of the movie " Brooklyn's Finest " is cropped to 1.78:1, which is not the original aspect ratio.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted December 02 2011 - 05:51 AM

Alliance releases are usually identical to their US counterparts if the American disc is released at the same time. The only Alliance discs that have been problematic are the ones that they have released exclusively. There are even a handful of Canadian discs that are superior to the US versions - the Canadian Ghost Writer, for example, is fully intact while the American disc includes the dubbed over swearing that was added to secure a PG-13 rating.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted December 04 2011 - 07:18 AM

There are even a handful of Canadian discs that are superior to the US versions - the Canadian Ghost Writer, for example, is fully intact while the American disc includes the dubbed over swearing that was added to secure a PG-13 rating.

Is that correct? The Canadian bluray of The Ghost Writer does not have the swears dubbed out? I thought all releases of the film in North America had been dubbed to remove the swearing.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   larryKR

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted December 04 2011 - 08:52 AM

Yes, Worth is correct. The E1 Films Canada (I have the bd) release with the bilingual cover has the swearing intact.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 04 2011 - 04:27 PM

E1 is another studio whose quality is mostly excellent. Their Summit titles are direct ports of their US brethren, with the notable exception being The Ghost Writer.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#9 of 9 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 25 2012 - 02:34 PM

Actually I read a review by Gary Tooze at DVD Beaver that the Canadian release of Nowhere Boy was 1080i, while Blu-ray.com says the American version from Sony is 1080p. The Canadian version also does not have subtitles.