What's new

3 Hitchcock movies at the end of January (Notorious, Rebecca and Spellbound) (1 Viewer)

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
MGM will release "Rebbeca" and "Notorious" on Blu-ray. Release date is 24th of January.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Not just in Canada http://www.amazon.com/Notorious-Blu-ray-Claude-Rains/dp/B0065N6K9Q/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1322674526&sr=1-7 http://www.amazon.com/Rebecca-Blu-ray-Laurence-Olivier/dp/B0065N6JSI/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1322674659&sr=1-1

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
This is really good news. Three more Hitchcock classics to add to the arsenal. Hopefully MGM also releases "Lifeboat" on Blu-ray soon, as well. Any news on what Universal has up its sleeve with its Hitchcock titles? "The Birds" has been been available for pre-purchase for more than a year but no release date yet. And no word on "Vertigo," "Rear Window," "Saboteur," let alone the numerous other titles under Universal's control. It appears Warner has plans to release "Dial M for Murder" in 3d blu-ray next year, but I haven't heard anything about "Strangers on a Train."

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I too am a fan of Lifeboat. But the negative on that one may have been damaged beyond repair by poor storage and a flood many years ago....I doubt we will ever see Lifeboat on blu, but I hope I'm wrong about that. Dial M already has a strong (to my eyes) non 3D master that's available on netflix streaming. Looks great in high definition. I hope Warner will consider doing a theatrical release of M in 3D. That would be fun... Warner also owns Stage Fright. To me that is one of his neglected classics. The controversial flashback on that one shouldn't prevent people from enjoying a wonderfully suspenseful and funny mystery with a marvelous cast. Dietrich, Sim, Wyman, etc., the whole cast is great. One of my many favorites... Which others are owned by Warner?

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Lifeboat is the only film Hitchcock made for Fox. We will be waiting a long time for Fox to put that film out on Blu-ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by benbess

Which others are owned by Warner?

Let's see: Stage Fright, I Confess, Strangers on a Train, The Wrong Man, Dial 'M' for Murder.

I am another BIG fan of Stage Fright.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Warner also controls the RKO films Suspicion and Mr. and Mrs. Smith and of course MGM's North By Northwest which is already on blu-ray.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
MattH. said:
Let's see: Stage Fright, I Confess, Strangers on a Train, The Wrong Man, Dial 'M' for Murder. I am another BIG fan of Stage Fright.
Glad to see another fan of Stage Fright... Stage Fright, Strangers, and M are all wonderful classics. And I Confess, although offbeat and perhaps flawed, certainly is fascinating and interesting in many ways. Ditto with Wrong man. Those films show Hitchcock's range. Can we assume that with George Feltenstein at the helm at Warner that all of these will come to blu-ray? Maybe as a boxed set?

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
ShowsOn said:
Lifeboat is the only film Hitchcock made for Fox. We will be waiting a long time for Fox to put that film out on Blu-ray.
I don't know about that. The Hitchcock box set released a few years back included "Lifeboat." And the three titles coming out in January are MGM/Fox releases. On Amazon, the pre-order page for "Spellbound" on Blu-ray indicates its a Fox/MGM release.

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
benbess said:
I too am a fan of Lifeboat. But the negative on that one may have been damaged beyond repair by poor storage and a flood many years ago....I doubt we will ever see Lifeboat on blu, but I hope I'm wrong about that. Dial M already has a strong (to my eyes) non 3D master that's available on netflix streaming. Looks great in high definition. I hope Warner will consider doing a theatrical release of M in 3D. That would be fun... Warner also owns Stage Fright. To me that is one of his neglected classics. The controversial flashback on that one shouldn't prevent people from enjoying a wonderfully suspenseful and funny mystery with a marvelous cast. Dietrich, Sim, Wyman, etc., the whole cast is great. One of my many favorites... Which others are owned by Warner?
I have a HD version of "Dial M for Murder" saved on my DVR that was recorded from HDNet Movies. The picture does look strong. I read that a 3D Blu-ray for it, as well as House of Wax, would likely be accomplished by converting them into Real3D rather than using the original polarized theatrical film strips. Regarding Lifeboat, I really hope you're wrong. The picture quality looked pretty good on DVD, regardless of the water damage. I've always felt like "Lifeboat" never received as much attention as some of Hitchcock's other classics, and I could never understand that. This is one of his four-star masterpieces in my book.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The box also included The Lodger, Sabotage, and Young & Innocent licensed from Granada (now iTV Entertainment). I'm wondering if MGM's rights expired and they're going over to Criterion.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
jquirk said:
I have a HD version of "Dial M for Murder" saved on my DVR that was recorded from HDNet Movies. The picture does look strong. I read that a 3D Blu-ray for it, as well as House of Wax, would likely be accomplished by converting them into Real3D rather than using the original polarized theatrical film strips.
What does that mean, to convert them into Real3D? Why would they do that?

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
JoeDoakes said:
What does that mean, to convert them into Real3D? Why would they do that?
I really don't know. That's what I read recently. From what I gathered, it sounded like it would be easier for WB to redo the films in 3D with the newer processes in use rather than use the original 3D versions shown in theaters.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Doug Otte

See DVDBeaver and blu-ray.com.

I don't trust their reviews but i will take a look anyways, i'm thinking MGM will have done a decent job with both but i know Spellbound ( having seen it many times ) has some halo issues ( probably not the right words to use ) in a few scenes which i believe is related to how it was filmed.

:EDIT: Yeah i just read a review at one of those sites, typical reviewer, they don't understand how these films were shot and give lower marks, it sounds like a buy for me and i'll get both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks