Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

3 Hitchcock movies at the end of January (Notorious, Rebecca and Spellbound)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted November 30 2011 - 01:03 AM

MGM will release "Rebbeca" and "Notorious" on Blu-ray. Release date is 24th of January.

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted November 30 2011 - 02:09 AM

Yeah, they're also releasing "Spellbound." Trouble is.... they're being released in CANADA.

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,992 posts

Posted November 30 2011 - 03:35 AM

amazon.ca is your friend. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted November 30 2011 - 04:37 AM

Not just in Canada http://www.amazon.co...22674526&sr=1-7 http://www.amazon.co...22674659&sr=1-1

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   jquirk

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted December 05 2011 - 04:01 PM

This is really good news. Three more Hitchcock classics to add to the arsenal. Hopefully MGM also releases "Lifeboat" on Blu-ray soon, as well. Any news on what Universal has up its sleeve with its Hitchcock titles? "The Birds" has been been available for pre-purchase for more than a year but no release date yet. And no word on "Vertigo," "Rear Window," "Saboteur," let alone the numerous other titles under Universal's control. It appears Warner has plans to release "Dial M for Murder" in 3d blu-ray next year, but I haven't heard anything about "Strangers on a Train."

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,924 posts

Posted December 05 2011 - 09:49 PM

I too am a fan of Lifeboat. But the negative on that one may have been damaged beyond repair by poor storage and a flood many years ago....I doubt we will ever see Lifeboat on blu, but I hope I'm wrong about that. Dial M already has a strong (to my eyes) non 3D master that's available on netflix streaming. Looks great in high definition. I hope Warner will consider doing a theatrical release of M in 3D. That would be fun... Warner also owns Stage Fright. To me that is one of his neglected classics. The controversial flashback on that one shouldn't prevent people from enjoying a wonderfully suspenseful and funny mystery with a marvelous cast. Dietrich, Sim, Wyman, etc., the whole cast is great. One of my many favorites... Which others are owned by Warner?

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   ShowsOn

ShowsOn

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted December 05 2011 - 10:13 PM

Lifeboat is the only film Hitchcock made for Fox. We will be waiting a long time for Fox to put that film out on Blu-ray.

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,489 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 06 2011 - 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by benbess 

Which others are owned by Warner?

Let's see: Stage Fright, I Confess, Strangers on a Train, The Wrong Man, Dial 'M' for Murder.

I am another BIG fan of Stage Fright.

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,534 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 02:36 AM

Warner also controls the RKO films Suspicion and Mr. and Mrs. Smith and of course MGM's North By Northwest which is already on blu-ray.

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,924 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 02:58 AM

Let's see: Stage Fright, I Confess, Strangers on a Train, The Wrong Man, Dial 'M' for Murder. I am another BIG fan of Stage Fright.

Glad to see another fan of Stage Fright... Stage Fright, Strangers, and M are all wonderful classics. And I Confess, although offbeat and perhaps flawed, certainly is fascinating and interesting in many ways. Ditto with Wrong man. Those films show Hitchcock's range. Can we assume that with George Feltenstein at the helm at Warner that all of these will come to blu-ray? Maybe as a boxed set?

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   jquirk

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 05:30 AM

Lifeboat is the only film Hitchcock made for Fox. We will be waiting a long time for Fox to put that film out on Blu-ray.

I don't know about that. The Hitchcock box set released a few years back included "Lifeboat." And the three titles coming out in January are MGM/Fox releases. On Amazon, the pre-order page for "Spellbound" on Blu-ray indicates its a Fox/MGM release.

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   jquirk

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 05:46 AM

I too am a fan of Lifeboat. But the negative on that one may have been damaged beyond repair by poor storage and a flood many years ago....I doubt we will ever see Lifeboat on blu, but I hope I'm wrong about that. Dial M already has a strong (to my eyes) non 3D master that's available on netflix streaming. Looks great in high definition. I hope Warner will consider doing a theatrical release of M in 3D. That would be fun... Warner also owns Stage Fright. To me that is one of his neglected classics. The controversial flashback on that one shouldn't prevent people from enjoying a wonderfully suspenseful and funny mystery with a marvelous cast. Dietrich, Sim, Wyman, etc., the whole cast is great. One of my many favorites... Which others are owned by Warner?

I have a HD version of "Dial M for Murder" saved on my DVR that was recorded from HDNet Movies. The picture does look strong. I read that a 3D Blu-ray for it, as well as House of Wax, would likely be accomplished by converting them into Real3D rather than using the original polarized theatrical film strips. Regarding Lifeboat, I really hope you're wrong. The picture quality looked pretty good on DVD, regardless of the water damage. I've always felt like "Lifeboat" never received as much attention as some of Hitchcock's other classics, and I could never understand that. This is one of his four-star masterpieces in my book.

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,486 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted December 06 2011 - 05:50 AM

The box also included The Lodger, Sabotage, and Young & Innocent licensed from Granada (now iTV Entertainment). I'm wondering if MGM's rights expired and they're going over to Criterion.

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,491 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted December 06 2011 - 06:21 AM

Rescuing the Hitchcock Nine...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 08:13 AM

I have a HD version of "Dial M for Murder" saved on my DVR that was recorded from HDNet Movies. The picture does look strong. I read that a 3D Blu-ray for it, as well as House of Wax, would likely be accomplished by converting them into Real3D rather than using the original polarized theatrical film strips.

What does that mean, to convert them into Real3D? Why would they do that?

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,899 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 06 2011 - 10:33 AM

Also, Spellbound being released on January 24th.  I cancelled my Canadian order.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   jquirk

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 04:02 PM

What does that mean, to convert them into Real3D? Why would they do that?

I really don't know. That's what I read recently. From what I gathered, it sounded like it would be easier for WB to redo the films in 3D with the newer processes in use rather than use the original 3D versions shown in theaters.

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,050 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted January 16 2012 - 02:29 AM

Any reviews for Spellbound and Notorious yet. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 706 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 02:33 AM

Any reviews for Spellbound and Notorious yet. ?

See DVDBeaver and blu-ray.com.

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,050 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted January 16 2012 - 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Otte 

See DVDBeaver and blu-ray.com.

I don't trust their reviews but i will take a look anyways, i'm thinking MGM will have done a decent job with both but i know Spellbound ( having seen it many times ) has some halo issues ( probably not the right words to use ) in a few scenes which i believe is related to how it was filmed.

:EDIT: Yeah i just read a review at one of those sites, typical reviewer, they don't understand how these films were shot and give lower marks, it sounds like a buy for me and i'll get both.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users