Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Frame interpolation vs. refresh rate confusion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted November 26 2011 - 05:25 PM

I've had a Panny 37 inch LED lit LCD for about a year now and like it a lot. One of the things I really wanted when my first offbrand HDTV conked was a TV that could take advantage of 24p. I was told only a 120hz TV could do that. I have 24p now and that is great. I also have some confusion over what is what when it comes to refresh rate and frame interpolation. I had been led to believe that the 120hz function was referred to as Motion Picture Pro 4. On my TV it is available in "weak" or "strong" or you can switch it off. When Motion Picture Pro 4 is engaged in the "weak" position 24p blu ray looks smoother but still has a film look to it. All other video sources (DVD, SD, cable HDTV) have the so called Soap Opera effect on film material. With MPP4 engaged to strong, everything has the soap opera effect and there are occasional artifacts in fast moving elements. With MPP4 turned off, I can still use 24p and there is a bit more flicker compared to weak MPP4. I am wondering if MPP4 is simply a frame interpolation setting and the TV is 120hz all the time. It probably is since turning 120hz on and off shouldn't have a "weak" and "strong" setting. Also, 24p is only supposed to work with 120hz as far as I know and I normally view blu ray on the TV with MPP4 turned off.