Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Love with the Proper Stranger - DVD at Last????

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Justin Ray

Justin Ray

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted November 25 2011 - 11:01 AM

With Paramount Pictures' Centennial celebration in 2012, I can't help but wonder if they'll finally release Love with the Proper Stranger? One of the best films of 1963, it's a fantastic display of McQueen's and Wood's onscreen chemistry and individual artistry. As many of you know, Paramount plans to release Wings, the 1927 Best Picture winner, in January; with this long-awaited release on the shelves, does LWTPS have a chance to hit our DVD shelves as well? Fingers crossed, kiddies- hopefully, Paramount will have the right answer very soon ;)

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted November 25 2011 - 11:16 AM

All thumbs up for a DVD release of Love with the Proper Stranger from Paramount for their 100th Anniversary. With Wings announced might they also consider the Victor Mature/Hedy Lamarr Samson and Delilah from 1950.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Justin Ray

Justin Ray

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted November 25 2011 - 11:27 AM

Samson and Delilah's another Paramount that would look fantastic on DVD and Blu-Ray. I hope to God they don't re-release the films from the previous Centennial Collection. Don't get me wrong- I love the Hepburn films, Sunset Boulevard, The Odd Couple, and the rest of the traditional classic Paramount DVD releases; however, with so many wonderful films unreleased, it'd be a shame not to release them after such a long time in the Paramount vault. :D

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Justin Ray

Justin Ray

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted November 26 2011 - 05:46 AM

Patricia Neal won the 1963 Best Actress Oscar, beating out Natalie Wood's performance inLove with the Proper Stranger. After watching both performances, Wood's performance stands up as the better one, if not for acting chops alone, definitely for the amount of importance her character brings to the narrative. I've always felt that's Neal's character in Hud supports rather than carries (or co-carries) the film, making her a fantastic candidate for Best Supporting Actress. With LWTPS's discussion of abortion, love, loneliness, courage, and self-respect, Natalie's performance tackles these topics with honest emotion and undeniable strength. No offense to Neal's talent, but this was Natalie's year to win. Thoughts? Criticism?

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,565 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 26 2011 - 08:30 AM

I would have voted for Natalie of the five nominated performances. I think one of the year's best performances got completely overlooked: Debbie Reynolds in How the West Was Won. Debbie had to age from a teenager to a "grandmother" during the film, and she figures in many of the most interesting storylines. It was a huge ensemble, but Debbie is the only one of the stars who goes from the beginning to the end of the story making her the real star of the picture, and she did so with an earnest and heartfelt performance.