-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Looks like UV isn't satisfying customers... What's your experience?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5

• 0 posts

Posted November 22 2011 - 04:28 AM

DECE, The Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem, is the  consortium of major Hollywood studios, consumer electronics manufacturers and retailers, network hardware vendors, systems integrators and Digital Rights Management (DRM) vendors that created UV (UltraViolet) which is a digital rights authentication and cloud-based licensing system that allows consumers of digital home entertainment content to stream and download purchased content to multiple platforms and devices. UltraViolet adheres to a 'buy once, play anywhere' approach that allows users to store digital proof-of-purchases under one account to enable playback of content that is platform- and point-of-sale-agnostic.

Personally, I thought that this system would be a boon to what I considered the confusing "triple play" packaging that Blu-Ray discs had been including.  The value proposition for UV was something that I wanted:

• Ability to stream a movie from a browser
  • Ability to download a HD near replica of the BD optical disc to play in a distributed system in your home (i.e. Kaleidescape - but for DIY's)
  • Ability to download a portable copy for portable devices
Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of complaints from users regarding the barriers of entry to actually use UV's value proposition.  First of all, there are complaints about having to register twice – once for an UltraViolet account, then again for Warner Bros. own Flixter service. Then there are customers who resent having to download two pieces of software (Adobe Air and the Flixster collections app). Additionally, once users are registered and ready, many of them don’t like that the download takes a half-hour or more for the 2 GB file.  It's to the point that studios, notably WB, have resorted to sending iTunes download codes to mollify unhappy customers.  That's clearly not what UV intended to do as Apple isn't even a member of UV!

What succeeds for Apple, a walled garden approach and central end to end experience for their customers appears to be festering sore for UV.  Since UV provides choices for what features each studio can deliver and how those features are implemented, the end to end experience that Apple excels is causing pain points for UV.  Personally, I don't like buying into one ecosystem for all my digital media, which is the Apple solution.  I like to have choices.  In a perfect world, choices don't mean barriers of entry to enjoy the value proposition of a service.

Let's hope that UV gets this all straightened out.  Keep in mind they are in a "soft launch"...

#2 of 5 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,972 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 22 2011 - 06:31 AM

My experience? http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ AS EXPECTED AND PREDICTED. This was such a "No duh" situation as that it could have saved literally millions of dollars by killing it before it ever went live. CHOICE is not as great a thing as people like to think. Is it important to avoid lock in? I'd say yes. Is it so important that launching a multi-million (billion?) dollar charge against it half cocked is the right way to combat it? NO. Especially when people LOVE the experience the lock in gives them.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#3 of 5 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 690 posts

Posted November 22 2011 - 11:15 PM

Hi

Sony Ultraviolet website is up:

http://ultraviolet.sonypictures.com/

Kevin I would like to point out that Warner was expecting that some people would be upset with not being able to use itunes with their UV purchase.  They were handing out vouchers to people who were upset the Friday the Harry Potter movie was released.  This shows that this was planned and not an "after the fact" action taken by the studio.

Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#4 of 5 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 690 posts

Posted November 22 2011 - 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

My experience?
http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/
AS EXPECTED AND PREDICTED. This was such a "No duh" situation as that it could have saved literally millions of dollars by killing it before it ever went live.
CHOICE is not as great a thing as people like to think. Is it important to avoid lock in? I'd say yes. Is it so important that launching a multi-million (billion?) dollar charge against it half cocked is the right way to combat it? NO. Especially when people LOVE the experience the lock in gives them.

We should point out that not everyone loves the Apple lock in experience.  There are many many more users that do not use Apple product (I love my ipad btw...).

Anyway the Ultraviolet roll out continues with Sony up next.  Looks like VUDU is also setting itself up to comply with UV specifications.  They just initiated their downloads for purchased content last week :).

Should be an interesting CES 2012 ;)

Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#5 of 5 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,972 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 23 2011 - 01:00 AM

That's what they said about DIVX.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt