What's new

Cleopatra (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's been up for pre-order for over a month now from all online retailers in the UK (I ordered it from Amazon). I believe the date, probably a world-wide release on that date. It looks like they just jumped the gun in the UK. I'm sure Fox will announce it soon, it's a long way off, two & a half months.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm wondering if the 2+ hour documentary which was included on the DVD version of is going to be included. It should be a standalone disc, much like Behind the Planet of the Apes.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Hi Jason, the UK special features listing indicates that it will be on the Blu-ray edition. There's also supposed to be a feature called "Cleopatra's missing footage". Can't wait to see what THAT includes! Hopefully the uncut opening scene of Taylor/Cleopatra in exile with her army. Clips of that are shown in the documentary. Special Features: * Cleopatra Through The Ages: A Cultural History * Cleopatra's missing footage * Fox Movie Channel presents Fox Legacy with Tom Rothman * Commentary with Chris Mankiewicz, Tom Mankiewicz, Martin Landau and Jack Brodsky * The Cleopatra Papers: A Private Correspondence * Cleopatra: The Film That Changed Hollywood * The Fourth Star of Cleopatra * Archival footage of the New York premiere * Archival footage of the Hollywood premiere * Theatrical trailers

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Completely agree, Jason! Here's hoping we get our announcement over here soon. I think Fox has been announcing Blu-rays about a month and a half before they street... Maybe they're waiting for the hammer to go down on the Elizabeth Taylor auction at Christie's in NYC? I've already got my ticket for the exhibit and can't wait!:D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is the commentary from the current dvd? I feel like I should know this, but who is the 4th Star of Cleopatra?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

Is the commentary from the current dvd? I feel like I should know this, but who is the 4th Star of Cleopatra?

The commentary should be the same one from the DVD since it involves the same people.

"The Fourth Star of Cleopatra" (1963 featurette), a nine-minute Movietone News promotional short. The short talks about the how big of an epic the film is and the costumes and sets.

I am really looking forward to this and hope Fox does it with the care it deserves.

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Andrew Budgell said:
Hi Jason, the UK special features listing indicates that it will be on the Blu-ray edition. There's also supposed to be a feature called "Cleopatra's missing footage". Can't wait to see what THAT includes! Hopefully the uncut opening scene of Taylor/Cleopatra in exile with her army. Clips of that are shown in the documentary. Special Features: * Cleopatra Through The Ages: A Cultural History * Cleopatra's missing footage * Fox Movie Channel presents Fox Legacy with Tom Rothman * Commentary with Chris Mankiewicz, Tom Mankiewicz, Martin Landau and Jack Brodsky * The Cleopatra Papers: A Private Correspondence * Cleopatra: The Film That Changed Hollywood * The Fourth Star of Cleopatra * Archival footage of the New York premiere * Archival footage of the Hollywood premiere * Theatrical trailers
I just found out about this thread. Does anyone here know if the lost footage exists? Martin Landau made an intriguing comment that it was found in his commentary recorded on the DVD. Whilst I suspect that Zanuck may have trashed the footage after he edited it, and it's truly lostfor all time, some stills and the script exists, enough so that an Internet based reconstruction was possible, via this link: http://taylortribute.com/Elizabeth%20Taylor%20-%20Restored%20Cleopatra%20Main%20Page.html An excerpt from page four by Mr. Harris: http://taylortribute.com/Elizabeth%20Taylor%20-%20Restored%20Cleopatra%20page%2004.html
The old crone takes the rose and slowly breaks into a toothless grin. In sudden shyness, she holds her hand to her face and turns away. The crowd roars with laughter and approval. Caesar starts up the Palace steps. Rufio, not far away, grins admiringly and says to himself, "Hail, Caesar." [How many of you have a smile on your face right now? There are several such charming scenes and touches that reveal fascinating facets and motivations to the characters in the film, most, unfortunately, left on the "cutting room floor". For the critics who bemoan "Cleopatra" to be a "ponderous" film, this is a good example why. Much of the lightness and humor was cut, diminishing the contrast between "light and dark". From this scene of a charming, even flirtatious, Caesar (light), we would have gone directly to his being presented with the head of Pompey (dark). A perfect emotional yin and yang. Cut the "yang", and we are left with only the "yin" - no balance or contrast.] Caesar continues up the Palace steps to greet King Ptolemy. The scene continues as we see it. Pothinos says, "Cleopatra has forfeited her right". Caesar says, "I shall try to decide justly."
Mr. Harris was kind enough to reply to my off topic inquiry on the My Fair Lady Thread. He wrote: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/315932/a-few-words-about-my-fair-lady-in-blu-ray/270#post_3872482
There have been a couple of searches for the Cleo footage. We did a script, daily continuity, camera log breakdown several years ago. We know what was shot, and what is missing. AFAIK, nothing has turned up.
And there's another thread here on Cleopatra: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/53033/would-you-buy-a-cleopatra-directors-cut http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/53033/would-you-buy-a-cleopatra-directors-cut#post_515417
As a point of (very) general reference, there are many films which, when cut for time and not quality, seem much longer in their short versions than in their longer cuts. The most notorious cases probably being the 187 minute cut of Lawrence and the 161 of Spartacus. Cleopatra would be a far superior film in its intended version.
Can this U.K. Blu-ray play on U.S. equipment? Thanks!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JParker said:
Can this U.K. Blu-ray play on U.S. equipment? Thanks!
We won't know that until it comes out. I've already placed my order with Amazon UK and I'll let you know in due time - if no-one beats me to the punch.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Everett Stallings said:
No it will not play on USA players,it's region B we are A.
You can't know that until the disc is released. Even discs that are explicitly labelled as region "B" are sometimes region "A" compatible.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
We have also recently found that some US players will play them anyway, by pressing "stop" at the error message and then "menu". Whether that applies to all Region B discs, I have no idea. It worked for me on a Masters of Cinema release.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...but it doesn't work for all machines, BTW. Extras are passing through the BBFC right now - 'Cleopatra's missing footage' is around 7½ minutes.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
John Hodson said:
...but it doesn't work for all machines, BTW. Extras are passing through the BBFC right now - 'Cleopatra's missing footage' is around 7½ minutes.
I was hoping for something around the 2 hour mark.:D

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I hope we get an announcement on this side of the pond next Monday. That's the day Dame E's jewelry, couture, and memorabilia will go up on the auction block at Christie's. I went to NYC for the first preview on Saturday and it was complete pandemonium! There will never be another Elizabeth Taylor....

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Because I bought Ben-Hur from Amazon UK, I got an email informing me of other movies I might like: El Cid, Guns of Navarone*, Bridge on the River Kwai*, Quo Vadis*, West Side Story*, Fall of the Roman Empire, Cleopatra. The movies with an asterisk are identified in the email as region free. That seems to be a hint that Cleo is not region free.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Johnny Angell said:
Because I bought Ben-Hur from Amazon UK, I got an email informing me of other movies I might like: El Cid, Guns of Navarone*, Bridge on the River Kwai*, Quo Vadis*, West Side Story*, Fall of the Roman Empire, Cleopatra. The movies with an asterisk are identified in the email as region free. That seems to be a hint that Cleo is not region free.
I'm sure it will be region free, Fox seems to have given up region locking their catalogue releases. But anyway, you won't have to import it, it's unthinkable that Fox wouldn't release it in the US, & remember they haven't made any announcements about it yet.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Since it has been announced in the UK, has there been any promotion of the movie over there? The less they promote it, the more suspicious I become that there's a planned double-dip in the future. Maybe they really do have more lost footage available and they are holding it back?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks