-

Photo
- - - - -

Hunger Games 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#1 of 69 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 16 2011 - 07:20 AM

Well, if there already is a thread, it doesn't show up in search or advanced search when I hunt for the phrase or it in a title.. so, here we go.  The first full trailer released:

I think she's too old to play the lead role, but we'll have to see.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 69 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,148 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 16 2011 - 05:00 PM

That's my main complaint, the Twilight visual casting. There's no doubt Jennifer Lawrence is an extremely talented actress. But her and Liam Hemsworth look like they stepped out of a magazine catalog, not like West Virginia coal town kids who've barely had enough food to eat for years. I also think casting age-appropriate would have made a huge difference for the audience's reaction. A 21-year-old playing a 16 or 17-year-old forced to fight to the death doesn't inspire the same visceral sense of horror and disgust as an actual 16-year-old would have. That being said, to actually film a faithful adaptation of the text would have resulted in a hard-R picture. Describing is one thing, showing is another.

#3 of 69 Ralphie_B

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted November 17 2011 - 05:37 AM

Not to stray OT, but how are the books?  I've seen them characterized as 'young adult' fiction, but I've certainly enjoyed other books characterized as such (e.g. the Harry Potter series).  I'm quite a fan of post-apocalyptic books/movies/video games, so from the little I've heard, this sounds like it'd be up my alley...

#4 of 69 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted November 17 2011 - 06:02 AM

The first two are very very good; the strongest book of the series if the first one.   The third book is.. OK.   I didn't particularly care for it as much because I felt it lost the direction of the series and the conclusion wasn't very fulfilling.   But, the concept is brutal and fun.

trakt.tv

#5 of 69 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,148 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 17 2011 - 05:51 PM

I loved the first book, but the second one (except for the ending) felt like a bit too much of a retread of the first. The third book had its strong points, but I was hoping for something different from it.

#6 of 69 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,605 posts

Posted November 17 2011 - 07:24 PM

All right. I'll pick up the first book and give it a try (tho i suspect it'll make me want to re-read Battle Royale instead)

#7 of 69 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,151 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted November 21 2011 - 06:09 AM

Looking forward to this. I do think some of the casting is a bit off but it otherwise looks true to the story. I just got done reading these on the advice of my daughter. The first book was quite good (although some things to me are groan-worthy). The second (Catching Fire) was a bit of a retread of the first. The third (Mockingjay) seems be disliked by more people but I think it's better than the 2nd one.

#8 of 69 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,354 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 21 2011 - 08:06 AM

All right. I'll pick up the first book and give it a try (tho i suspect it'll make me want to re-read Battle Royale instead)

I think Amazon has both kindle and dead tree versions of the trilogy in one pack. I've been waffling on getting it.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#9 of 69 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 04:20 AM

I have to say, I'm very pleased with the reviews.. this could be the first great blockbuster of the year.

100% positive at Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentom...e_hunger_games/

And some of the reviews are pretty gushing:

http://www.boxoffice...he-hunger-games

Avid fans of the books were going to make the film a hit, regardless. It's our good fortune that, much like the people behind the Potter films figured out, you can rake in dough from the crowds and make a beloved book into an actual film of quality. With over 1,000 showings already sold out at this writing, a week before release, look for The Hunger Games to be Lionsgate's biggest-ever hit. Better yet, it deserves to be.

And after decades of science fiction epics that are either tired father-quests shoved down our throats with a lightsaber in the wake of Star Wars, or weary New Testament-inspired stories of "the Chosen One," it's amazingly refreshing to see a film where the hero's journey is one of ethics and choice—what does it take to be good in a evil world?—a struggle real people can sympathize with, not just gawk at. As action, as allegory, as cinema, The Hunger Games is the best American science-fiction film since The Matrix, and if Ross and his crew stay with the series for the next two books, we may get that rarest of things: a blockbuster franchise that earns our money through craft, emotion and execution, not merely marketing and effects. 

My eagerness for Thursday Midnight is at a peak.

trakt.tv

#10 of 69 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,833 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 19 2012 - 04:45 AM

Outside of knowing the basic gist of the story, I'm unfamiliar with The Hunger Games. So my question is, are these books/movie something an adult can enjoy (like Harry Potter) or is it some fad fueled by awful books and terrible movies (like Twilight)?

#11 of 69 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 07:06 AM

First book spoilers ahead.. without giving away the ending,.. so I'm not going to put it in a spoiler block:

At some point in the far future, a major incident seriously wiped out population and resources.  Panam, (Pan-American Continent Alliance) was formed; basically Mexico-US-Canada all in one, as one body.   That worked for a while, until the outer district, unhappy with what they felt was brutal work vs. little return, revolted.   The 13 districts revolted against the capital, and were outright destroyed - so much so that District 13 is shown yearly as just smoldering ashes on TV.***  (you know that comes up in later books, but not necessary to go into for book1)

Anyway, each district is a divided community setup for a specific purpose; District 12, where Katniss is from is Coal Mining.   Each district is required to deliver their goods to the capital.  After the major war, the capital became truly unfair - all luxuries, etc. go to the capital, and the districts are tortured for their attempted revolt.   Each year, to commemorate the triumph of the capital, each district must send two children - a boy & a girl, to attend "the hunger games".  The Hunger Games are a sign that the district's attempt at rebellion has harmed them by making sure they are always under the heal of the capital.   Each child is entered once into a drawing for every year they are eligible (until 18, I believe, when they are no longer eligible).   But many kids have more then one ticket in the lottery bowl - because asking for welfare can be done at a cost - more welfare for your family, more tickets in the raffle to chose you.

The children are then put into an arena and must fight to the death for the sport of the capital.   The capital reminds all the districts all year long that this is the sacrifice they have forced on themselves because they tried to rebel.  They use the horror and the show of technological superiority in the games - which is broadcast to all districts - to show that the districts themselves are now too impoverished and unable to compete, and that they cannot attempt to fight back against the capital.   It's a reminder to them: you may hate us; but we can destroy you; and the death of two children from your district is your "tribute" to the capital for not completely wiping you from the face of the earth.

The districts are of course unhappy with this arrangement but completely outmatched as far as their ability to change it.  As far as the books go, Book 1 is -very- good.   Book 2 is =ok=.   I didn't care as much for Book3.   But the base concept I liked quite a bit.   It is exceptionally brutal, and I'm very surprised it didn't get an R.

trakt.tv

#12 of 69 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,833 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 19 2012 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the info! I'll probably check the movie out in a few weeks once the crowds die on. Maybe I'll even try to read the book first.

#13 of 69 marjen

marjen

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 12:40 AM

Definitely a movie for adults as well as kids. Honestly I dont think its suitable for younger kids. The subject matter is pretty dark. I dont truly understand the appeal to young girls other than the lead being a strong female. Very encouraged by the early reviews. And for those who have not read it, this is NOTHING even remotely like twilight, which is a very good thing. The romance people are trying to compare the two movies with is a very secondary plot. Its not about that at all, its about survival.

#14 of 69 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,148 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 20 2012 - 03:11 AM

I dont truly understand the appeal to young girls other than the lead being a strong female.

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#15 of 69 Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,247 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 03:51 AM

Hmmmm, are young girls really that interested in Amy Winehouse?

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#16 of 69 marjen

marjen

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 03:56 AM

Ok, but I was referring to the book :)

#17 of 69 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,148 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 20 2012 - 04:37 AM

Even on the page, I'd say the characters of Gale and Peeta are two sides of most preteen girls' wish fulfillment perfect guy. They exist for Katniss's benefit. Gale is masculine, protective, secure, a bit dangerous and rebellious (but not too dangerous or rebellious). He's the "bad boy" girls fantasize about. Peeta is respectful, gentle, safe nurturing. If Gale is the guy girls want to chase, Peeta is the guy they want to ultimately settle down with. ...None of which detracted from the appeal of the book for me, or the universal appeal of the story generally.

#18 of 69 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,449 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 21 2012 - 05:26 AM

Having completed the trilogy, I agree that focusing on the romantic triangle is reductive and does the books a disservice. There's actually a great exchange in the third book that expresses how Katniss's "boy troubles" are not what it's all about.

While promoting the love triangle is understandable from a marketing perspective, I'm hoping the film(s) will properly convey the complexity of the circumstances and the relationships that ultimately develop between the three characters.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#19 of 69 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted March 22 2012 - 08:20 PM

I can say this: despite all the concern, the film definitely didn't focus on the love triangle to sacrifice anything else.. in fact, the love angle seemed to be at a much lesser pitch then even in the first book; in that book, Peeta's love/devotion was pretty clear; in the film, that isn't really given enough time to breathe.

The film itself is good - quite good.   It's different from the book, with several elements added, I think to fair effect, but time compression both helps and hurts the moments within the arena.

SPOILERS AHEAD...  

Elements not in the book that I quite enjoyed:

I found the revolt in District 11 quite moving as a means of them responding to the death of Rue.  I have mixed feelings about this replacing the fact District 11 sent bread in the book.. which becomes a key part in Book2, where Katness and Peeta offer District 11 some rewards on their stop, which I assume will be cut.

I also enjoyed the additional moments with Snow, which I felt helped better lay out the concerns of that character.

Portions I was not so pleased with

Time compression in the arena at times was really jarring, and it changed the track of some storylines not necessarily for the better.   The most jarring was the finish at the cornucopia, which left Peeta not seriously harmed; in contrast with the book, where Peeta's injury and experience at that site with make shift medicine left him requiring a replacement leg and they barely escaped with his life.. Peeta leaving the arena in such good shape also I think hurts future narratives in follow up movies.

But as a whole, this is a blockbuster that does the rare thing of actually succeeding as a good film.   I had fairly high expectations based on the reviews, but a lot of fears because so many people were bemoaning the things that changed.   There are issues I have with things that changed that I was not a fan of, but I appreciated some of the material not in the book further fleshing out the world this occurs in.   The depictions of the life in the districts was quite good, and the handling of some of the material was dead on.  Most importantly, the acting was very good - Jennifer Lawerence is fantastic as Katness, and in the end, I can't ask for much more then what the film delivered.

trakt.tv

#20 of 69 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,449 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 23 2012 - 12:02 PM

The reviews coming in have been uniformly positive, but I won't be seeing the movie until next week at the earliest.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com