Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Fort Apache (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,180 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 01:21 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fort Apache, acclaimed for pairing one of the greatest director-star combinations in Hollywood history, gets the Warner Home Video Blu-ray treatment.

Roughhouse camaraderie, sentimental vignettes of frontier life, massive action sequences staged in Monument Valley – all are part of FortApache. So is Ford’s exploration of the West’s darker side. Themes of justice, heroism and honor that Ford would revisit in later Westerns are given free rein in this moving, thought-provoking film that, even as it salutes a legend, gives reasons to question it.

Master director John Ford, leading man John Wayne and many familiar Ford “stock company” supporting players saddle up for the first time on Blu-ray in the film that is part of the director’s famed 1948 cavalry trilogy(She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande are the others). Henry Fonda (The Grapes of WrathOn Golden Pond), Shirley Temple (reunited with her director from Wee Willie Winkie), Temple’s then-current-husband John Agar, Victor McLaglen, Ward Bond and George O’Brien join Wayne in the stellar cast.

Special Features:

·         Commentary by F.X. Feeney

·         Vintage featurette Monument Valley: John Ford Country

Fort Apache BLU-RAY DISC™

Street Date: February 21, 2012

Order Due Date: January 17, 2012

Not Rated

Black & White

Feature Run Time: 128 minutes

Pricing: $19.98 SRP

Cat / UPC: 1000246443/ 883929222087

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 42 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,361 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 14 2011 - 01:53 AM

I had no idea this was on the way. What a nice surprise for the new year.

#3 of 42 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,026 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 14 2011 - 02:17 AM

This should be an excellent blu-ray with John Ford's Monument Valley as a co-star with John Wayne.  Always happy to get a Wayne in Blu.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 42 OFFLINE   JohnRa

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted November 14 2011 - 02:20 AM

Very good news! Now let's have "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" and my personal favorite of the trio, "Rio Grande."

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 03:30 AM

Jolly good news. I'll buy every John Wayne and / or John Ford film that WB puts on Blu-ray. I'll be in Monument Valley this weekend. I haven't been there in awhile although I live not far away.

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 918 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 04:28 AM

I find the packaging with the poster artwork to be very attractive and pleasing to the eye.

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted November 14 2011 - 04:28 AM

Ford/Fonda/Wayne  SOLD WB stated 50 Classics for blu in 2012, i hope its all new classics and the repackage of Unforgiven 20th doesnt count, that would mean 49 more anouncements and waiting.........
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor

• 518 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 04:47 AM

Oh boy, what wonderful news!

#9 of 42 OFFLINE   jaaguir

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 04:48 AM

Great news. Let's hope it's not a stand-alone release and they soon announce some other classic western for the same date.

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,026 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 14 2011 - 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Timothy E 

I find the packaging with the poster artwork to be very attractive and pleasing to the eye.

I agree with you. Warner has been very good with using original artwork lately on their classic blu-ray titles, such as Mutiny On The Bounty and Meet Me In St. Louis.  The only disapointment lately was The Bad Seed.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 05:49 AM

O.M.G. This is fabulous news. Sure hope blu-rays of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande will follow. And Wagon Master.
PaulaJ

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,563 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 14 2011 - 05:55 AM

Decent pricing too. Easy decision for an upgrade.

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 07:23 AM

Some one needs to tell Warner that both John Wayne and Henry Fonda had blue eyes. :) Posted Image
PaulaJ

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,566 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 14 2011 - 07:29 AM

I think that's a fault of the original poster.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 07:32 AM

Wonder who was vetting this stuff back in 1948!
PaulaJ

#16 of 42 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,484 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted November 14 2011 - 07:38 AM

John Wayne did have blue eyes, but Capt. Kirby York had brown; I thought everyone knew that?
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 10:54 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   JohnRa

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted November 14 2011 - 03:24 PM

Richard, thanks for the wonderful posters.

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted November 14 2011 - 04:25 PM

John Wayne did have blue eyes, but Capt. Kirby York had brown; I thought everyone knew that?

Now that's what I call acting! Ben Johnson dressed as an Indian doing a horse fall in Fort Apache. Ouch. (Click on the picture for a bigger version.) Posted Image
PaulaJ

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted November 15 2011 - 12:14 AM

I thought classics don't sell well on blu-ray.  At least that's the standard mantra around here. Somebody at Warner must have missed that memo.
Death before Streaming!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users