Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Shout Shows that Didn't Do Well

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts

Posted November 07 2011 - 03:06 PM

Dear Guys: There were some announcements today that Shout will be releasing Here Come the Brides season 2, Route 22, Hazel, and Police Woman. I seem to recall that about two years ago, Shout started putting out (about six) releases such as Room 222, Peyton Place, Mr. Belvedere, Thirtysomething, My Two Dads, and about one other title. Can someone tell me which of these titles Shout was able to finish and why? I'm glad that Shout is picking up these titles and finishing other series that the regular studios have dropped, but I wish the success sales were better. James

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted November 07 2011 - 03:15 PM

Dear Guys: There were some announcements today that Shout will be releasing Here Come the Brides season 2, Route 22, Hazel, and Police Woman. I seem to recall that about two years ago, Shout started putting out (about six) releases such as Room 222, Peyton Place, Mr. Belvedere, Thirtysomething, My Two Dads, and about one other title. Can someone tell me which of these titles Shout was able to finish and why? I'm glad that Shout is picking up these titles and finishing other series that the regular studios have dropped, but I wish the success sales were better. James

Thirtysomething was finished,. Room 222, Belvedere and My Two Dads all either had horrible sales, or they couldn't get the rights for further seasons from the owners, IIRC.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts

Posted November 07 2011 - 03:19 PM

Was Swat season 2 mentioned? James

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted November 07 2011 - 03:36 PM

In spite of Shout not releasing more of Belvedere (the one show from them I'm interested in the most) anytime soon, I'm not giving up. I'm gonna keep on reminding any fans who haven't gotten the DVDs yet to do their part right now. Maybe then, that will help the final two seasons come sooner than expected. If all else fails, I could see Twilight Time pick up where Shout left off. Twilight Time has released several rare films that Fox owns. I just hope Fox themselves doesn't plan on releasing the rest Belvedere. That would be a real travesty if they do. I cannot stress this enough.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,170 posts

Posted November 07 2011 - 03:50 PM

We should not however leave out two Universal titles of theirs that have become stalled, "Marcus Welby MD" and "Ironside." The former was said not to have sold well as a general release, but I would have figured at least one year was entitled to "Select" consideration. And as for "Ironside" we were promised there'd be two releases this year to get it to S6, and then suddenly out of the blue we're told they haven't licensed the remaining seasons. That for me, remains my one sticking point before I'm fully won over to singing Shout's praises again because "Ironside" is the one title they've handled that's deserved better.

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts

Posted November 07 2011 - 06:49 PM

I just hope Fox themselves doesn't plan on releasing the rest Belvedere. That would be a real travesty if they do. I cannot stress this enough.

Fox putting something out themselves? I don't think you have to lose any sleep worrying about that.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted November 08 2011 - 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

Fox putting something out themselves? I don't think you have to lose any sleep worrying about that.

You got that right- case in point S5 & 6 of The Bob Newhart Show which were rumored to be released at some point in the near future, still no official word about these which makes me wonder if these releases will actually happen.  They are still up for pre-order on Amazon.com, however I am not really sure if that means anything?!

Also, you can add The Facts of Life and Mad About You to the list of shows that supposedly didn't do well as there have been no further releases of either show.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts

Posted November 08 2011 - 05:07 AM

You got that right- case in point S5 & 6 of The Bob Newhart Show which were rumored to be released at some point in the near future, still no official word about these which makes me wonder if these releases will actually happen.  They are still up for pre-order on Amazon.com, however I am not really sure if that means anything?! Also, you can add The Facts of Life and Mad About You to the list of shows that supposedly didn't do well as there have been no further releases of either show.

I think Facts of Life did well, but Sony not wanting to part with the rights for the remaining seasons is what has stalled it again.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,682 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 08 2011 - 05:39 AM

I think Facts of Life did well, but Sony not wanting to part with the rights for the remaining seasons is what has stalled it again.

I don't understand why a studio is willing to sell the rights for some seasons, but not others. Supposedly this is the situation with Mr. Belvedere, as well. At the same time, I'm not sure why SHOUT would make a deal for only a portion of a series? Wouldn't you want to be sure you had the rights to the entire series, precisely so these issues would not occur?
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted November 08 2011 - 05:51 AM

Was Swat season 2 mentioned? James

It wasn't mentioned in this particular bit of news, but it is coming from them (soon).

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts

Posted November 08 2011 - 06:40 AM

I don't understand why a studio is willing to sell the rights for some seasons, but not others. Supposedly this is the situation with Mr. Belvedere, as well. At the same time, I'm not sure why SHOUT would make a deal for only a portion of a series? Wouldn't you want to be sure you had the rights to the entire series, precisely so these issues would not occur?

Or, you pay a large amount for something that turns out to be a dud, and have to eat the cost of the seasons you either don't release, or take a bigger loss and release them anyway. Classic TV on DVD seems to be a gamble.

#12 of 19 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted November 08 2011 - 06:50 AM

I'm dissapointed that they stopped releasing seasons of room 222 ,ironside and mr belvedere

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted November 08 2011 - 08:16 AM

It wasn't mentioned in this particular bit of news, but it is coming from them (soon).

As well as The Rookies season 2
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts

Posted November 08 2011 - 08:54 AM

How Did Parker Lewis Can't Lose do? James

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts

Posted November 08 2011 - 09:20 AM

How Did Parker Lewis Can't Lose do? James

IIRC, Music rights is part of the problem for that one.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted November 08 2011 - 10:00 AM

Firstly, something off-topic...the thread title made me chuckle, as it reminded me of one of Sir Bruce Forsyth's catchphrase ("didn't they do well!").

Simon & Simon can't really be put in the group of Shout shows which haven't done well on DVD, as they released Seasons 2-5 (and the reunion TV movie).

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted November 08 2011 - 10:30 AM

Well that makes no sense whatsoever, if the seasons that Shout! released did well then why doesn't Sony want to sub-license out the rights to the remaining seasons?!  They gave up on this show and allowed Shout! Factory to obtain the rights to continue releasing it so what is their problem now?!  I suspect the reason this show has stalled is that the two sides have been unable to reach a deal for the remaining seasons (similar to the situation with Fox) rather than Sony not wanting to sub-license out the remaining seasons at all?!

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,318 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted November 08 2011 - 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by TVonDVDJunkie05 

Well that makes no sense whatsoever, if the seasons that Shout! released did well then why doesn't Sony want to sub-license out the rights to the remaining seasons?!  They gave up on this show and allowed Shout! Factory to obtain the rights to continue releasing it so what is their problem now?!  I suspect the reason this show has stalled is that the two sides have been unable to reach a deal for the remaining seasons (similar to the situation with Fox) rather than Sony not wanting to sub-license out the remaining seasons at all?!

Maybe they want to keep George Clooney's season for themselves?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#19 of 19 ONLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted November 12 2011 - 05:25 AM

It's no secret that for one reason or another Fox is very stingy regarding its vintage TV titles. Sales had nothing to do with it!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...