• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,810 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 07 2011 - 08:59 AM

Gotta say, I'm definitely on this bandwagon. If you want me to buy a title at launch it better be under $35. http://arstechnica.c...ools-errand.ars

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#2 of 10 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted November 08 2011 - 01:30 PM

I'm all for buying a game at launch if it's a game I want or by a company I want to support, but I tend to buy games used and under $30 otherwise. I bought Uncharted 3 and Batman Arkham City at full price last week (albeit with a $55 coupon) and I'm planning on buying Mario 3D Land and Zelda: Skyward Sword at full price (to be fair, Nintendo games seem to be full price for-freakin'-ever, anyway). I have no interest in BF3, MW3, Skyrim, and many of the other big games this season so I don't feel bad skipping them completely. Personally, I think that games that come out with a big multiplayer component should be cut into two $30 games. I was pretty disappointed with Uncharted 3 overall and have no interest in the competitive or coop modes, so I'd rather pay only $30 and skip those two. Same goes for almost all modern FPS games.

#3 of 10 joshEH

joshEH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted November 08 2011 - 01:58 PM

Skipping games like Call of Duty and (perhaps) Assassin's Creed on launch-day? Sure -- there's gonna be another one at this same time next year, likely as not. A brand-new Elder Scrolls game, though? Even when DLC is already officially announced? Not a chance in hell -- six years between entries, as opposed to 11-12 months, makes all the difference in the world. Too, Skyrim's gonna contain 300+ hours of content "vanilla," right out of the box on release-day, which I'll still be blissfully playing through long before I even start thinking about expansion-content. $60 at launch? Bethesda could easily charge twice that amount, and I'd gladly pay it (and I am, with the LCE :D ). That said, I largely agree with the article...Bethesda's stuff (and Rocksteady's, and Naughty Dog's) are more the exception that prove the rule. On the other, other hand...I don't regret buying masterpieces like Red Dead Redemption on day one, either. It's a complex issue, to be sure.
"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower...son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."

- Charlie Kelly (via Dennis Reynolds)

#4 of 10 joshEH

joshEH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted November 08 2011 - 02:01 PM

Two games I'll unquestionably be purchasing at launch in 2012, though, at full price -- the Mass Effect 3 Limited Edition, and The Witcher 2 on the Xbox 360. The latter title I'm buying at full retail to help support CD Projekt Red, and the former title because I own the other two LCEs, and have no intention of not not completing the trilogy with anything less than that fat-ass box sitting on my shelf right next to the other two.
"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower...son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."

- Charlie Kelly (via Dennis Reynolds)

#5 of 10 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted November 10 2011 - 01:55 AM

Oblivion was actually the game that got me out of buying games at launch - I played it for so long by the time I had finished it I was way behind in lots of games. Now Im usually a sequel or two behind on pretty much every major release - Im only on Gears of War 1, Bioshock 1, etc which is way cheaper and by the time Im finished their sequels are already cheaper too. But I will have to buy Skyrim on release date :)

#6 of 10 dmiller68

dmiller68

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted November 10 2011 - 02:21 AM

I buy all my games at launch but normally through pre-order on Amazon. A lot of the times you get a $10-$20 dollar credit towards the next game. I will say I'm a video game junky though with 218 MS Xbox 360 games and growing...

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#7 of 10 CaseyL

CaseyL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted November 10 2011 - 11:58 AM

I usually do the same thing, buy way after release, and/or buy used (as long as the game includes everything like case/manual and is in pristine shape). Occasionally, I'll buy new, like I pre-ordered Skyward Sword. But it's the only one that I did this year.

#8 of 10 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted November 12 2011 - 02:58 AM

Buying first-party Nintendo games means that you'll probably be paying near full price for a couple years after release. You'll pay $50 for Skyward Sword right now or $50 for it in 2 years. I'm surprised that the Call of Duty games seem to retain a lot of their value, considering how they've become an almost Madden-like franchise (primarily online multiplayer, annual installments replacing each other). I still have bought Red Dead Redemption and will wait until a "Game of the Year" collection with the DLC is available for under $30. Open world games aren't my thing and tend to take up way too much of my time, so I want to plow through it quickly, play the DLC expansions quickly, and move on to something else. (This is why I'll probably skip Skyrim altogether; I've never played an Elder Scrolls game and don't really have the interest in sinking THAT MUCH time into it.)

#9 of 10 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• PipPipPip
  • 9,520 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 22 2011 - 08:59 AM

All depends on the title for me. games like Red Dead and LA Noir I bought on launch, others like God Of War Origins and the new Assassins Creed I'm waiting for the price drop.

I'm the same with movies and music, if it's something I'm really excited for, I'll spend the money on launch day.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#10 of 10 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted January 06 2012 - 06:29 AM

For me, it all depends on the time period. Christmas usually gets me to buy new releases for the eager younglings waiting for Santa.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users