Barnes & Noble Introduces NOOK tablet

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 of 28 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,435 posts

Posted November 17 2011 - 08:29 AM

I don't quite understand how this works nor why they implemented it but:   http://www.theverge....orage-limit-1GB   Then again, if this limitation can be removed by rooting, it's not a big deal for the hobbyist/enthusiast crowd.  

#22 of 28 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,862 posts

Posted November 18 2011 - 12:09 AM

That's a bit of a bummer if they keep that limitation -- one comment did mention they did that briefly on the NC as well, but lifted the limitation subsequently.

Clearly, they want to get people to use it for content that will definitely contribute to their own bottomline, and this approach may or may not lead to some backlash.  One would think though that they should want to keep the (user) advantage of having unrestricted larger (built-in) storage over the Kindle Fire as a selling point...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#23 of 28 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,435 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 01:50 AM

The Nook Tablet has already been rooted:

http://www.engadget....r-lock-and-key/

No ability to load custom ROMs yet, but the root is permanent.  I don't know if this can switch off the 1GB limitation.

While it is inconvenient, the fact that you can stick a 32GB SD card in it mitigates that limitation somewhat.

#24 of 28 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,654 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 11 2014 - 06:43 AM

It's dead, Jim (Or maybe not?)

http://www.businessi...ng-staff-2014-2

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#25 of 28 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,889 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 15 2014 - 06:18 AM

I thought it was dead three years ago. I still see a nook in the wild, but rarely. Everyone has an iPad or kindle for reading. The main buyers I saw a few years ago were lowest-cost shoppers.

#26 of 28 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,654 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 15 2014 - 07:39 AM

Oh shit Dave be careful, you will be lumped in with me thinking people who choose anything but Apple are just cheap.
(To be clear: not true)

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#27 of 28 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,889 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 16 2014 - 10:42 AM

Indeed. :)

I'll amplify: the nook e-ink readers were nice and a step ahead of the Kindles. They had the first self-lit, touch-screen reader (the "Glow"?) I looked at one and told my wife I hoped Amazon would mimic it soon so I could buy it. Those made sense to buy as gadgets, being affordable and good quality...ignoring basic of Beta vs VHS decisions where Amazon was obviously VHS.

But the nook android tablet? At first release, it seemed intriguing. But the the past couple years, seemed the device for those for whom price was absolute most important issue in buying a tablet. (Including some friends.) that's fine: if you want a tablet and only have a $200 budget, it's that or nothing.

But I didn't see people buying the Nook who could afford better devices. And that's not a winning strategy in the electronics business, especially if you're not the top-dog electronics manufacture, but are a second-dog B&M bookstore who outsources all its electronics design and manufacturing.

Anecdotally, I saw overlap in Nook buyers and HP / Palm Touchpad buyers, post fire sale. Clearly not the right customers for long-term success.

Anecdote != data! etc. :D

#28 of 28 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,759 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 08 2014 - 08:49 AM

I'm a bit late to the thread but I have a Nook Simple Touch and still use it. I will admit, I didn't buy it... I got it free from Continental a year or two ago when I bought a new set of tires for my wife's car. Sure, I could get an iPad but just about all I would use it for would be an e-reader.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users