What's new

Dish Network's Blockbuster Movie Pass was NOT yet ready for the big time.. cancelled it (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I had the most frustrating 2 days on the phone with Dish Network, who otherwise generally handles customer service quite well. At initial launch, Blockbuster Movie Pass streaming worked fairly well, but not perfect. I enjoyed the movies by mail, with in-store trade in enough I tolerated it for the $10/m which is quite a lot cheaper than Netflix, despite Netflix's superior interface on my Logitech Revue. But the Blockbuster Movie Pass has been unusable for streaming, and if you get on Dish Network's forum's you will see it is a big issue for them. Whenever I would try and go in to access, I would always have to test the connection, as it would constantly "forget"' that I was connected to Broadband. In addition, the "My Rentals" section which worked much like Netflix's queue would never keep the movies listed that you had set up to watch later. Generally, it wouldn't even download the HD movies, with the timers moving between 5 minutes and 10 minutes waiting for it to be available to watch, a complete annoyance that Netflix never had. I called them two weeks ago and they tried to blame AT&T (my DSL provider). AT&T checked things out for me on their end and said everything looked okay (which I knew it would as Netflix worked fine using the same line when I had it). Then they tried to blame my speed (which is wrong as I have 6.0 Mbps from AT&T which has tested out to about 5.8 Mbps). Finally yesterday, the guy admitted they began maintenance on it on 10/20 and it may not work correctly and offered to cancel for me. I held him off as I finally got one to download and began watching. About 7 minutes in it began buffering and wouldn't continue loading. I called again to cancel, and this guy again tried to blame the connection, etc, and then finally looked at my system and stated there may be a compatibility problem with my HDDVR (the Vip722) and they were working on it. He then tried to charge me $5 to cancel the service as it had only been 29 days instead of the 30 days they require for programming changes to not pay the fee. After I finished laughing at him and then coming unglued, he cancelled with no fee. Then I tried to ask him how lon git was going to take for them to get it working correctly, and he really talked around that one. I would like to get it back, but it is a mess right now.

Mry087

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I would agree with you on the blockbuster movie pass service not yet being ready. All that has happened is the old dish platinum package was converted to BBMP so the same extra channels you could get before plus the blockbuster by mail. Now the streaming service it self hasn't changed the BBMP does not yet have access to the blockbuster streaming library available directly through blockbuster. Understandably it is being advertised as additional streaming content but it is really what you would have already gotten with the dish platinum. The on demand feature on the receiver always gives you access to the VODs and also to the streaming content available free with the channels you subscribe to and since epix 1 and 2 are included in the BBMP (was dish plat) alot of newer hd content was available. now as far as the technical problem goes unfortunately the streaming content has only just now become a big thing for dish and alot of the tech issues are unknowns. There is a "known issues" list of current problems that are known and being worked on but unfortunately agents cant really give you and eta on it getting fixed because the info is just not given to them. Now just as an fyi this service did only star in October and is it its infancy and I am sure it'll grow to probably be more useful overtime but I would say its probably a safe bet to wait for now. edit sorry if i touched on some stuff covered in the other BBMP thread on didn't see it till just now

jleigh2536

Auditioning
Real Name
jeannine
[COLOR=FF00AA]Wow, I usually dont write a review about products and things, but this, I searched and had to look to see if I could put my 2 cents in. The new Dish Network movie pass with Blockbuster sucks!! I cancelled my Netflix thinking that this was going to be much better because it runs off my DVR. Now after 3 weeks of dealing with customer service telling me one way to hook up with promotion to my DVR...and having to give out my credit card info..highly disappointed because the streaming is terrible. I, too, have AT & T and never had no problems...but now all of sudden I do?? Plus I'm stuck with this subscription for a whole year!!! Ughh how frustrating...I would love to go back to Netflix..and so what if they( netflix) dont give you games to rent..but heck the movies selection is much better....FALSE ADVERTISEMENT when Blockbuster say they have over 100,000 movies for you to stream...ha! Movies from 1956? really! The recent movies you really want to see...you have to pay anyways!!!!! I don't wish no one to sign up with this promotion...and I've been with dish network for over 5 years...dont be disappointed like me...um oh yeah another thing...as you watching a movie "streaming" that you finally become interested in to watch ...the movie pauses every like 10 seconds or so because its trying to buffer out!! :eek:[/COLOR]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks