What's new

Detective shows from the UK (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thought I'd recommend some detective shows from the UK which are a mixture of already aired or still airing on TV shows.

Starting off with a series which started as a two-part pilot in the autumn of 2010, called DCI Banks, starring Stephen Tompkinson (Ballykissangel, Wild at Heart). It led to a further three two-part stories which aired from September-October this year. A DVD of these three stories and the two-part pilot was released this past Monday. Below is 3D front cover artwork (source: Amazon UK):

0a4dad86_51VmSx7EfJL.jpeg

The episodes in this set:

DCI Banks: Aftermath (two-part pilot)

and

"Playing with Fire: Parts One and Two"
"Friend of the Devil: Parts One and Two"
"Cold is the Grave: Parts One and Two".

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Costco carries a multitude of UK detective/mystery shows, at least my local Costco does.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Another recent UK detective/private detective series is Case Histories, which stars Jason Isaacs (who is also starring in the mid-season US series Awake). Three two-part stories aired in June this year, with a DVD release in the same month. Below is 3D front cover artwork (source: Play.com):

1c978ee5_19978101_500x500_1.jpeg

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Inspector Lynley Mysteries, which starred Nathaniel Parker and Sharon Small, lasted for six series, which were initially released separately and then together in one boxset. Below is 3D front cover artwork of the boxset containing all six series (source: Play.com):

7515b267_15476744_500x500_1.jpeg

The series is also available on Region 1.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Richard, based on your reccomendation I purchased DCI Banks from Amazon.uk and really enjoyed the show. I can't seem to get enough of these British detective shows.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Did you watch "Aftermath" before the three two-parters which formed the first series? Don't think it's essential to see it first, but it does set the foundations of the series.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I did see Aftermath first. Excellent series. I hope they produce more. Next I will watch Case Histories. I also have all 8 series of New Tricks which is a lot of fun to watch.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Fingers crossed ITV order more episodes of DCI Banks, and I agree it is an excellent series. Grim but with some humour. It's looking like a second series is going to be ordered (a Digital Spy news article from the start of this month, says that DCI Banks is on the verge of being recommissioned).

New Tricks is very entertaining.

Haven't read anything yet whether they're going to add a new character to the group of three (James Bolam has left the series, but may return for a one-off appearance in the ninth series), or leave it with Alun Armstrong, Amanda Redman and Dennis Waterman in the main cast.

A ninth and tenth series have been ordered.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
A comedy drama series about two female detectives investigating murders, Murder in Suburbia, aired for two series on ITV1 from 2004-05 and starred Caroline Catz, Lisa Faulkner and Jeremy Sheffield. Both series are available on Region 1 and Region 2 from Acorn Media.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Law & Order: UK and Suburban Shootout are also good shows that I just bought from amazon uk
Any word on further releases of The Bill and also the hospital show Casualty its been a while since any releases? I'm living in Canada so not hearing about the UK releases all the time now

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by nikkif99uk /t/315935/detective-shows-from-the-uk#post_3885292
Any word on further releases of The Bill and also the hospital show Casualty its been a while since any releases? I'm living in Canada so not hearing about the UK releases all the time now

Haven't read anything in a while about further series of Casualty being released (the third series was released back in 2006). Since then, Casualty 1900s was released on Region 2 in 2009, and the first series of Holby Blue (short-lived second spin-off of Casualty) was released in 2008 (both by 2 Entertain).

As for The Bill, the last release from Network was Volume 5, which was released last July. No further releases at the moment.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Would highly recommend Luther, with the great Idris Elba from The Wire. 2 season with only 10 episodes altogether but really great. Season 3 coming soon and is likely to be the last.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Now this series was filmed on location in Amsterdam, but was shown in the UK on ITV. The series was Van der Valk, starring Barry Foster, and ran for three series between 1972 and 1977 (it spawned a UK No.1 hit single in 1973, Eye Level by The Simon Park Orchestra) and was revived in the early 90's for two series (in 1991 and 1992). It was released on Region 2 by Network, and is also available on Region 1 from Acorn Media (two volumes under the title Van Der Valk Mysteries, were released in 2009 and 2010. Based on the two TVShowsOnDVD news articles for these volumes, only the first two series have been released in the US). Below is front cover artwork for the Network set (source: Play.com):

256c0991_3439388_500x500_1.jpeg

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have read very good things about half detective, half drama series, Single-Handed. The first series is available on DVD in the US and UK, with the second series being released in the US on Tuesday 27th March, and in the UK on Monday 16th April. Below is front cover artwork for the UK releases of Series One and Two (source: Play.com):

Series One:

3cbb995e_16596925_500x500_1.jpeg

Series Two:

01636255_28103715_500x500_1.jpeg

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Richard, I really appreciate you posting news of these shows that I have never heard of. I have gotten some really good shows from some of your posts. I am definitely going to check out Single-handed. I just bought all 11 seasons of Dalziel and Pascoe from Amazon.UK in a set that was done for the Netherlands. I just turn off the subtitles and I'm good to go. Keep posting news of any of these British detective series that come to light.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The second series of Scott & Bailey, a UK Cagney and Lacey-style series, is currently airing on ITV1, with a DVD release on Monday 4th June, along with a boxset of the first two series (source: Amazon UK). Below is front cover artwork for the first series Region 2 set (source: Play.com):

69673e20_19665841_500x500_1.jpeg

Now, a series which I would highly recommend to anyone who is interested in detective shows, Bergerac. Either available separately, or in one boxset, nine series were made in total (which include six feature length Christmas specials). The first and sixth series of Bergerac were re-released with extra footage, cut from their first UK DVD release (I think the complete series boxset contains these re-released versions). Below is 3D artwork of the complete series set (source: Play.com):

d820aab8_11417684_500x500_1.jpeg

The first two series of Bergerac have also been released by Madman on Region 4, with the third series due to be released today (source: Madman DVD's website).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Highly recommend the series thorne, which stars David Morrissey in the lead role. Two stories have been filmed to date, "Sleepyhead" and "Scaredycat". They're available on DVD and Blu-ray. Below is front cover artwork for the Blu-ray set (source: Play.com):

80019bc5_17197512_500x500_1.jpeg

Discussion threads for Dalziel and Pascoe, Dempsey & Makepeace and New Tricks:

Dalziel and Pascoe - TV on DVD and Blu-ray discussion thread

Dempsey And Makepeace - TV on DVD and Blu-ray discussion thread

New Tricks - TV on DVD and Blu-ray discussion thread

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The detective series Case Sensitive returns for it's second story "The Other Half Lives" soon (following the airing of the two-part pilot "The Point of Rescue" last year), as a promo trailer has aired on ITV1 this weekend. Both stories are being released on DVD in the UK on Monday 16th July (source: Amazon UK).

EDIT: "The Other Half Lives" is airing over two nights on on ITV1, next Thursday and Friday night.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
A new series starting in the autumn (based on the DVD release of the series happening in early October) is Good Cop. It's release date is Monday 1st October (source: Amazon UK).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks