Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

GTA V (Five)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 of 94 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 23 2013 - 10:51 AM

Yeah. . .buying and selling stocks is not really what I'm looking to do in this sort of game. :)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#82 of 94 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 25 2013 - 04:13 PM

Read this on Grantland:

"The GTA games are flaming cataracts of contempt. The vision they peddle of men, women, minorities, American culture, and video games is apocalyptic, vicious, and often highly unpleasant. I've never really minded that, if only because watching talented people sweep out the dark corners of their imaginations is far more interesting than watching the handle of a moral puritan's butter churn pump up-and-down."

I'm glad these characters aren't anti-heroes. I'm tired of that crap. These guys are villains for a villainous age -- one in which, ultimately, its way more fun to be a bad guy who sleeps with prostitutes and gets disgustingly rich. That speaks to me, as a boring white guy with a boring lawyering-job whose worries are increasingly domestic in nature. It seems like fun.

Obviously, it's not, when it's reality, and the real-life assholes are getting ever more powerful. So maybe that's why I throw my hands up and laugh a little when my villainous asshole video-game avatar falls to a clumsy death or gets gunned down on an L.A. highway. It's all good.

I think Trevor is my favorite character, actually, for the same reasons some people elsewhere on the Internet dislike him. I'm not roleplaying these characters; they're just unleashed juvenile id, jacking cars and blowing up soldiers so I can steal their helicopters. If I'm going to be doing these things, it makes sense to have an avatar that is just a disgusting piece of shit. He also has some fairly funny writing.

He's definitely not glamorous; the Saints Row crew and their arch hipness and cool-kid style fits that bill a lot closer in my mind. Trevor is so blatantly not cool -- he looks like a homeless rapist.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#83 of 94 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 04:22 PM

Fave random moment so far:

Picked up a random girl on the side of the road (using Trevor). She asked for a ride to the Vinewood sign. As we drive, this girl starts talking, and I realize she is a total party-kid who's all fucked up and looking to hook up with her guy. Seeing the world through Trevor's weird lens, he/I decide that this girl needs saving. So I take a left when I should've gone right, and start out through the wilderness towards that brainwashed cult-camp.

She starts going, "I don't think this is where we are supposed to be going."

And Trevor replies, "I'm taking you exactly where you need to go."

This game...this fucking game.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#84 of 94 JustinFow

JustinFow

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 05:58 PM

After completing the main story and if I was rating my favorite Rockstar games, I would place this one a strong third place behind Red Dead Redemption and The Warriors. I don't think Rockstar will top John Marston's story and The Warriors is the best movie to video game adaptation of all time. Thinking of that, I've always thought that Rockstar would do a bang-up job doing a version of Red Dawn.

#85 of 94 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,530 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted September 26 2013 - 06:39 AM

The warriors is only one of two Rockstar epics I haven't finished.  The other is Bully.  Couldn't get into either.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#86 of 94 creamtown

creamtown

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 11:51 PM

One GTA game that i've finished is San Andreas, I've also already played and finished Scarface: The World is Yours and Just Cause. NEver had a chance to finish Vice City though, its missions are difficult, especially the ones with chopper. I think GTA V is the most complete GTA game that Rockstar Games has ever released. Word on the street has it that GTA VI will be in the new Vice City world, i don't know what that means. But i'm definitely curious to see it.

#87 of 94 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,530 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 04:55 AM

Guess I didnt mention it here but I completed the main story, lots of fun.  Now I am jetting around a bit waiting for online to get its @%@% together.

• mattCR likes this

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#88 of 94 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,530 posts

Posted June 09 2014 - 07:18 PM

Hell
Yes
http://www.gametrail...4-debut-trailer

#89 of 94 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 09 2014 - 07:30 PM

Looks nice.  New content as well, reportedly.

The big announcement though was that you could transfer in games from any previous version.. PS3, XBOX360, etc. to the PS4 version

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#90 of 94 LeoA

LeoA

Supporting Actor

• 809 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 09 2014 - 10:31 PM

Not a surprise but I'm glad to see it. From most reports, the power of the 360/PS3 was holding this game back so I planned to wait for just this to happen.

I'm not sure what the current situation is for MP3 support on the XB1 or PS4 or what it will be in the coming months, but I hope Rockstar copies what they did on the first three 3D GTA's when they came to the original Xbox. I loved being able to switch to the proper radio channel and hear my own music instead of the annoying radio chatter.

The situation on the PS3/360 for GTAIV/V felt like a giant step backwards in that regard. Sure, at least on the 360 you could use the generic system-wide soundtrack support. But opening the guide every time you entered to start music and again when you exited your car to turn it off was hardly a suitable replacement. 

Instead, with my dislike of their licensed music and the annoying radio chatter, I just kept the radio off in GTAIV.

#91 of 94 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,530 posts

Posted June 10 2014 - 05:06 AM

PC and Xbox One confirmed too:
e4sZsMX.png
http://www.rockstarg...yStation-4-Xbox

#92 of 94 Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted June 11 2014 - 08:14 AM

PC and Xbox One confirmed too:
e4sZsMX.png
http://www.rockstarg...yStation-4-Xbox

Nice.

#93 of 94 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 09:04 AM

Let the modding commence. I want to see Trevor riding a unicorn at some point.

#94 of 94 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,530 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 11:51 AM

Comparo:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users