Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Curtains for the Mac Pro?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#41 of 249 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,994 posts

Posted May 31 2012 - 06:48 PM

Oh please be true...I've got four Apple gift cards ready to apply towards this...:D In all seriousness I hope they upgrade before Mountain Lion. Not that there's anything wrong with ML, but the software I use for music most (Pro Tools) is always slow to certify the latest and greatest. It's usually not a problem on a 10.7.X upgrade (where X changes) but in major 10.X changes it usually breaks Pro Tools. I plan on having a completely separate drive (either a separate partition or a completely separate hard drive) dedicated specifically for Pro Tools which I'll only upgrade when Avid officially certifies the OSX build, but I've heard that when a new Mac comes out, it won't support a previous major version of OSX. So a new Mac released in Lion won't support Snow Leopard, and one presumably released after Mountain Lion is officially released won't support Lion. I have no idea if this is true (and I'm not about to try and load Panther or Tiger on my 2010 MBP :P) but I've read it enough to be worried. I'd like to be able to load Lion onto a new Mac Pro.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#42 of 249 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,179 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 01 2012 - 04:48 AM

All my musician friends have dumped pro tools due to their slowness, most are using logic but others have migrated to others as well. Everyone I have talked to about it expressed a love/hate relationship with that tool

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#43 of 249 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,994 posts

Posted June 01 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hey Sam - I have both and both have their strengths and weaknesses (PT has plenty of the latter). I just bought PT 10 so we'll see how that goes. One thing I have purchased for PT that I don't have for Logic is Strike (from the PT instrument expansion pack). Not having a buddy who drums, I find strike to be one of the coolest, easiest artificial drum programs out there. So I need PT at minimum for that. But yeah I know a lot of people as well who use Logic.

#44 of 249 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,179 posts

Posted June 01 2012 - 02:35 PM

My bass teacher told me I was in more dire need of rhythm than any white boy in history (seriously!) so I don't have any of em, just reporting anecdotes what olks tell me about those apps....

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#45 of 249 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,179 posts

Posted June 04 2012 - 07:04 PM

Keep the faith (rumors!!!) http://9to5mac.com/2...sories-at-wwdc/

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#46 of 249 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,037 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hope this is not true...   http://www.cultofmac...ut-a-spec-bump/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#47 of 249 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,994 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 10:07 AM

Not overly worried yet - the 13" MBP has been kind of the redheaded stepchild of the Mac line (ever since they did away with the white plastic Macbook and essentially folded it into the 13" MBP line). The 15" and 17" have always been significantly better machines in terms of CPU, GPU and overall features. That said, if something similar leaks for the 15" MBP or iMac, then we'll know something else...

#48 of 249 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,179 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 12:10 PM

Rumors gone wild! http://arstechnica.c...wither-mac-pro/

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#49 of 249 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,179 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 12:54 PM

what does it MEAN??? http://www.macrumors...-ahead-of-wwdc/

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#50 of 249 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,994 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 02:10 PM

http://www.macrumors...ates-next-week/ Aww yeah... :D

#51 of 249 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,994 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 02:14 PM

Funny thing was this past Saturday I had attended a local Pro Tools workshop at my local guitar center and the instructor, who is a working professional and a really cool guy, and I were talking about PT, Macs and Apple after the class. I talked about how I was afraid Apple would kill the Mac Pro and Logic, and he confidently says "no, they'll upgrade both from what I'm hearing, and soon." At first I was thinking, yeah cool guy, but what does he really know? Now I know to keep an eye out for Logic X :D

#52 of 249 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,179 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 07:56 PM

-If- that is true I shudder to think what the ultimate combo will cost. $6k? $10k?

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#53 of 249 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,994 posts

Posted June 05 2012 - 08:39 PM

I'm going to bet the ultimate build will come in at roughly the same price as the existing ultimate build, $5K. This is the current build with two six-core Westmere processors (12 physical cores, 24 virtual cores with hyperthreading), 6GB of RAM, 1TB HD, etc. Of course a few years ago a friend and I, for s*!ts n giggles decided to "max out" a Mac Pro with all the options available at the time at the Apple store, including upgraded CPUs, maxed-out RAM, all 4 hard drives, RAID card, etc. etc. (and this was before SSD was an option). The result? An $18,000 BTO Mac Pro. :eek:

#54 of 249 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,179 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 06:30 AM

Accessory kits?!?!?! http://www.macrumors...coming-at-wwdc/

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#55 of 249 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,994 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 09:01 AM

I can't figure out what those kits would be at roughly $58 USD. Usually their conversion cables are in the $29 range. Regardless Apple is poised to really boost their Q2/Q3 earnings from my wallet. GF needs a new laptop so we're looking at the Air, and I'm going with at either a Pro + ACD or a fully maxed out iMac.

#56 of 249 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,179 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 11:43 AM

Love my Air. I'm playing D3 just fine on it. Sold my 17" MBP in anticipation of this refresh. If they can hit the sweet spot of 15" but Air-ified I will sell my 13" air, get the 15" and a Mac Pro if it's real. Fingers crossed.

Insert the Fry SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY gif here =)

(close enough)
Posted Image

Edit: Don't forget to budget for an SSD boot drive on the Mac Pro. Put the OS on primary, media on a secondary 2tb drive and be ready to add TB drives for video edits. Vooooom.

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#57 of 249 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,037 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 11:46 AM

Sam,   Was it tough going from the 17" to the 15"?   I want a 17", but if Apple has no news on those models next week, I may be forced into a 15"   I just hope Apple defines their roadmap as far as the 17" models are concerned.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#58 of 249 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,672 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 01:38 PM

Not sure if this was posted yet: http://9to5mac.com/2...-pro-next-week/

#59 of 249 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,179 posts

Posted June 06 2012 - 05:10 PM

Sam, Was it tough going from the 17" to the 15"? I want a 17", but if Apple has no news on those models next week, I may be forced into a 15" I just hope Apple defines their roadmap as far as the 17" models are concerned.
Ron, I went from the 13" plastibook to your old 15" to the 17 ubergoober from 2011 to the 13" MBA. The MBA -FEELS- faster in everything I do except 3d gaming due to the SSD. Even then the 3d is plenty good enough except it kicks the fans on, no big wow. I will never buy another laptop without SSD. I hardly notice the resolution difference from 17 down to 13. It's a total non issue for me. I appreciate the weight savings 100x more than I would the resolution.

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#60 of 249 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,672 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 04:44 PM

Guys, Given the news that Apple did not update the Mac Pro, I'm torn. I have a need for a new Mac to replace a nearly dead 6 year old G5 that has a leak in the cooling system. Plus my 3 year old MacBook Pro is aging as well. I am likely planning on a new Retina MacBook Pro. I need power for my CAD work, so when I am at my desktop, it would be great to have a Mac Pro. If I were to get a new Mac Pro, I am guessing the things I could miss out on mainly would be Thunderbolt inclusion. And then slightly faster processor options I would guess. I think I could live without TB. If Apple really does have a fantastic update in 2013 for the Mac Pro, as Tim Cook said, then I hope that's all I miss out on. I have an opportunity to get a fantastic deal on a 2011 Mac Pro with 8 cores. It would serve my needs and likely have enough power for a few years. But that comment that Tim Cook made is nagging at me. I could get by with the Retina MacBook Pro for a bit. Thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users