Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Richard Lester's THREE MUSKETEERS and FOUR MUSKETEERS now on Blu in the U.K.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,374 posts

Posted October 29 2011 - 11:09 AM

Go to Amazon U.K. You can buy each movie singly or both in a set (for only two pounds more than each single disc). I have these on order and will report back after I view them. I can't wait - like a kid at Christmas time!

#2 of 13 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,023 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 29 2011 - 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dick 

Go to Amazon U.K. You can buy each movie singly or both in a set (for only two pounds more than each single disc). I have these on order and will report back after I view them. I can't wait - like a kid at Christmas time!

I love these movies and am anxious to know about their quality.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,793 posts

Posted October 29 2011 - 04:39 PM

Thankfully, I put off buying the Anchor Bay release (somehow). I have high expectations for this release, ad will likely buy them soon. I've never seen these movies, but they definitely look worthwhile.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,470 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 29 2011 - 11:14 PM

Both films appear to have been quite heavily digitally processed; still frames have a really odd posterized look (not as bad in motion), something very similar to Optimum's Don't Look Now. I don't quite know that the story is, but I don't waste any angst over it. Just FYI.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,305 posts

Posted October 30 2011 - 06:53 AM

Agreed, but I can't say it bothered me too much, either (the smaller the monitor, the smaller the problems/issues appear, it seems). Much refreshed over the Anchor Bay discs--but, the DVDs have a few extras (these are barebones) and are better packaged, so you may want to hang onto them.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   RickardL

RickardL

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted October 30 2011 - 07:08 AM

Any screen caps available somewhere?

Originally Posted by John Hodson 

Both films appear to have been quite heavily digitally processed; still frames have a really odd posterized look (not as bad in motion), something very similar to Optimum's Don't Look Now. I don't quite know that the story is, but I don't waste any angst over it. Just FYI.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,470 posts

Posted October 30 2011 - 07:43 AM

I haven't seen any yet, and I can't do them. It's *not* a disaster by any means, folks seem generally happy - YMMV; just don't expect a cutting edge transfer...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   RickardL

RickardL

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted October 30 2011 - 09:52 AM

Any official or inofficial reviews/comments anywhere else?

I got Anchor Bay's 2003 double-disc set of "The Complete Musketeers" and I am wondering if

the picture quality is a step up or down from that.

Originally Posted by John Hodson 

I haven't seen any yet, and I can't do them. It's *not* a disaster by any means, folks seem generally happy - YMMV; just don't expect a cutting edge transfer...

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,470 posts

Posted October 30 2011 - 09:58 AM

No reviews as yet; I have that Anchor Bay set - IMHO the BD is a step up and one worth taking at the price. Depending on your screen size, you probably won't notice too much amiss.
Film Journal Blog

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,793 posts

Posted October 30 2011 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Also, just noticed that the Anchor Bay set was ported to a Lions Gate release last year. I'll be getting that one since it is cheaper.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   bugsy-pal

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted November 03 2011 - 12:23 PM

I recently bought the Lionsgate 2-disc set, only to learn that the films had been released on Bluray in the UK. Then I saw the blurays in a store here in Australia - a separate Australian release with different cover art - and they were dirt cheap, so I grabbed them. I have done some close side-by-side comparisons. The DVD are darker and duller than the blurays. The blus have a very bright look to them and skin tones seem to been more towards the orange. I'm not sure what the film originally looked like, but I think I prefer the more laid back skin tones of the DVD. Some scenes are a bit blown out in the whites. I'm sure there is noise reduction there. However, there's no doubt that there is a lot more detail on the blus, and some scenes I compared really look so much better on the blurays. I'll be going to the blurays for my next screening of these films - despite the niggles I mention, I don't think they'll get in the way of enjoying these films. They are a hoot.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,737 posts

Posted November 03 2011 - 12:49 PM

Any news/rumors on a potential U.S. release? How about a true Complete set that would also include The Return Of The Musketeers? David

#13 of 13 ONLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,617 posts

Posted November 06 2011 - 11:06 AM

I recently bought the Lionsgate 2-disc set, only to learn that the films had been released on Bluray in the UK. Then I saw the blurays in a store here in Australia - a separate Australian release with different cover art - and they were dirt cheap, so I grabbed them. I have done some close side-by-side comparisons. The DVD are darker and duller than the blurays. The blus have a very bright look to them and skin tones seem to been more towards the orange. I'm not sure what the film originally looked like, but I think I prefer the more laid back skin tones of the DVD. Some scenes are a bit blown out in the whites. I'm sure there is noise reduction there. However, there's no doubt that there is a lot more detail on the blus, and some scenes I compared really look so much better on the blurays. I'll be going to the blurays for my next screening of these films - despite the niggles I mention, I don't think they'll get in the way of enjoying these films. They are a hoot.

I watched the Blus last weekend. Today, I compared the Anchor Bay DVD of the first film with the Blu-ray. My main problem with the Blu-ray is the brightness you referred to. It's like some filtering has been removed. In the chess scene, the Blu-ray is so bright I felt like I needed sunglasses. When the Cardinal is standing with the palace behind him, the palace and sky all just look overly bright and white. On the DVD, the scene looks as if a shade cloth is over the set, casting a shadow on the King and his hangers-on; and the palace and sky are clear and properly delineated. In the scene where d'Artagnan follows Constance as she is on her way to meet with the Duke of Buckingham, I have always assumed that the scene is set at night, or at least dawn. When I saw the film on broadcast TV, the scenes were extremely dark. On the DVD, they are still fairly dark. However, on the Blu, it almost looks like the scenes are set in the afternoon. So, it appears to me that some day for night type of filtering is absent on the Blu-ray. Over all, I like the Blus. Very detailed, with all the brocaded fabrics, lace, etc.