Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need Advice on New Speakers & Sub

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   rbeidl

rbeidl

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 29 2011 - 12:16 AM

I bought a Sony LED 240Hz 3D KDL-55NX810 about 10 months ago, and was ready to buy the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000, when I saw the A3000 and started looking for better prices on that. In the process, the A3010 was announced, and I JUST pulled the trigger on a new Yamaha RX-A3010 for $1,395. More than I planned to spend, but a great deal on an amazing receiver. Now I need to update the Speakers, Center and Sub from an old Panasonic HTIB system. I spoke with someone at a Fry's and a local HT place, and I now have some ideas, but no definitive plan. Here's my goal, so maybe someone with better knowledge of the options can give some guidance. I was planning on spending another $1,000 - $2,000 (I have flexibility there, but I don't want to spend more than I need to for the QUALITY of audio I seek, not the QUANTITY of audio the "pros" want to recommend) for the total of the speakers, CC and Sub. I was considering, based on advice, the
  • Martin-Logan Dynamo 700 (about $700), with
  • Martin-Logan Wireless transmitter ($100), and a good
  • Polk Audio 5 Speaker TL250 Setup (2 Surround, 2F + CC) ($500).
That does seem like a pretty good setup, but I don't have much experience with either brand. The last time I really looked at brands, quality and reviews, Reagan was in his 1st term. I'm guessing the players and ratings may have changed since then - I know for a fact that my needs have! My wife and I are alone at home these days, and we tend to watch a lot of movies, but always at lower volume levels than most people like, so we really want the rich, true sound and powerful base, but w/o having to crank the volume way up. The Fry's guy indicated that this setup, especially the ML Dynamo would produce true and rich sound at the lower frequencies w/o needing to crank up volume, and that this demand of ours generally would require higher end speakers. He said that his recommended setup would meet that need w/o having to spend a fortune on an over-the-top high-end system (which is much more than we need), and more than is needed in our 15' x 20' room. He even suggested we could step down the ML Sub, but the 700 would be needed if we wanted the wireless sub add-on. This setup was 40% less than what Best Buy was trying to tell me I "needed", and the Fry's guy seemed infinitely more knowledgeable. Any guidance, suggestions or consideration from those 'in the know' is appreciated. If you have good/reliable sources for great prices as well, excellent. I tend to find the best products I want, and then find the best prices. Thanks all!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 29 2011 - 04:15 AM

I'd go with a Hsu Research ULS-15 - http://www.hsuresear...ucts/uls15.html because you want powerful bass. That little ML sub probably wouldn't provide that much based on the size. Do you like the sound the Polk speakers? Hsu also has package deals even some with the ULS subs. They don't list a 5.1 system but I've heard they are more than willing to work if you call them. Basically, you are getting rid of the middle man when compared to the big box retailers. You will get more better quality speakers for the same price as from Frys. If you don't feel comfortable with buying speaker without auditioning, then go with Polk but use the Hsu sub.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   rbeidl

rbeidl

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 31 2011 - 05:37 AM

These do look pretty good, and well regarded. I'll try a set, the Enthusiast 2 package. Thanks for the Heads Up on these.