What's new

Grimm Season One (2 Viewers)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I searched and could swear there was another thread for Grimm.

Anyway, I checked this out after Chuck and, I thought it was pretty good. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It has a very Buffy type feel to it.

Good fun, actually.. I like the concept. As long as it can balance the dark with the light hearted like this episode, then I'm probably going to stick with it. It gets a season subscribe for me. Good saturday morning viewing.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Surprisingly better than Once Upon a Time, which has a comparatively silly concept. It's also a little offensive when the evil queen says, "I'll take you to a hell too horrible to imagine" and it's small town America. :rolleyes:
Anyway, this had a good balance of horror and humor and seemed to move at a brisk pace. I hope Haywire from Prison Break is a regular (the "good" bad wolf). The cabin in the woods, covered with moss, was over the top like something out of Pushing Daisies.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
After reading reviews that put in the mediocre category I was expecting Grimm to be grim. Not so, it was wonderful. Agree about the cabin in the woods, one example of the show being visually interesting.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Incredibly better then Once Upon a Time. More then that, this is a sustainable concept, and I don't think Once Upon a Time could be. I think once the heart of that story is told (which isn't very long) there is nowhere to go.. a show like Grimm presents a concept that could be continues, pretty much as long as you wanted to go (ala Buffy/Angel type).
This is the problem with a show like Once Upon a Time.. there is a key problem/situation, and you can only tell that story so long, and it runs out. It's what happened to Heroes.. Heroes told an initial story and never recovered because it wasn't built to. Grimm on the other hand is setup as basically a supernatural, fun, procedural with a mythos and a set of storylines that provide for a lot of possibilities. Depending on how it lays out, it could be very good.

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /t/315821/grimm#post_3865369
Surprisingly better than Once Upon a Time, which has a comparatively silly concept. It's also a little offensive when the evil queen says, "I'll take you to a hell too horrible to imagine" and it's small town America.
Anyway, this had a good balance of horror and humor and seemed to move at a brisk pace. I hope Haywire from Prison Break is a regular (the "good" bad wolf). The cabin in the woods, covered with moss, was over the top like something out of Pushing Daisies.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I also enjoyed the pilot. I'll be eager to see the show develop over the coming weeks. But, I also watch Supernatural and Fringe which means either On Demand must come to my rescue, or I'll have to watch one of these (gulp) LIVE! What a concept!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
mattCR said:
This is the problem with a show like Once Upon a Time.. there is a key problem/situation, and you can only tell that story so long, and it runs out.   It's what happened to Heroes.. Heroes told an initial story and never recovered because it wasn't built to.   Grimm on the other hand is setup as basically a supernatural, fun, procedural with a mythos and a set of storylines that provide for a lot of possibilities.    Depending on how it lays out, it could be very good.
Kind of like Ringer. I really like it, but it's not exactly a show that can be around for seven seasons. Shows like that need to take the "novel for television" approach and not try to artificially sustain themselves.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yep. I think if they would advertise somethings as "A Limited Series" and say: an entire series told in 24 parts, first and ONLY season, a lot more people would tune in... would be especially true of something like Ringer.

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /t/315821/grimm#post_3865431
Kind of like Ringer. I really like it, but it's not exactly a show that can be around for seven seasons. Shows like that need to take the "novel for television" approach and not try to artificially sustain themselves.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show has similar beats to the early seasons of Angel, which is not too surprising considering the showrunner is David Greenwalt. Definitely has more weekly, long-running potential than "Once Upon A Time", and will feel a void once "Supernatural" goes off the air.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I liked it more than Once Upon a Time.
I didn't like the stupid use of the Eurythmics song as the plot device for identifying the bad guy. It was silly that the same exact song was playing on the iPod when the cops found it. As if that the only song the girl had, on endless replay. Lazy writing, in my opinion.
That said, I like the look of the show. And the villains actually seem scary. I'll stick with it for a while.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Loved everything about this show - concept, script, execution, actors - all good. Looking forward to more fairytales.....

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I think 'Grimm" is targeted at a specific audience while "Once Upon A Time" is aimed at many different segments.
This would mean that you either like it or don't watch "Grimm" at all, while "Once Upon A Time" will have some part of it that every watcher dislikes. (they are hoping that the liked portions are enough to keep you watching through the disliked parts)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I wasn't even sure I wanted to watch this, but I recorded for the wife and we just watched it. I thought it was really good and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it for a pilot. I always give shows 2 or 3 before I make my final decision. One thing that just pisses me off with networks. Is why do they put the shows that would take from the same demographic on at the same time?!? The same people that watch "Grimm" are the same fans that watch "Supernatural" and "Fringe". So you are splitting a fan base among 3 shows.
On a side note....The bad wolf was the same guy who played Glen Gary in "Employee of the Month". He was such a goof in that movie. Thats all I could think of.
508721.jpg

:)

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
The bad guy in this episode was Harold from Monk. Which made me giggle incessantly.
The wolf that helps Grimm is supposed to be a regular character on the show from what I've read.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like Grimm; it's an enjoyable Monster-of-the-Week show. And so far stronger than Once (which feels like Terra Nova: a broad fantasy for the whole family).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm enjoying this quite a bit as well, it has a certain look and feel that sets it apart from the norm, I especially liked the use of color in the pilot with lots of red in the sky.
It has the potential to build up a great mythology that could go on for multiple seasons if it plays its cards right.
Lastly, the lead actor would make one hell of a Superman if he packed on a little more muscle, hell he and Brandon Routh could be brothers lol.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Queen has hordes and hordes of bees. But instead of simply killed the hexenbiest with them, she goes tete-a-tete and then monologues! Sloppy ending. I didn't care for it.

So it's an OK show to me. The best character is the werewolf "sidekick". He's got lots of charm and character. The show is better every time he's on screen. Everyone else is a bit dull by comparison. It's got a decent monster-of-the-week notion, but lacks the high-school meets mythology emotional impact of Buffy, the intensity of X-Files or exuberance of Smallville.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
DaveF said:
I like Grimm; it's an enjoyable Monster-of-the-Week show. And so far stronger than Once (which feels like Terra Nova: a broad fantasy for the whole family).
That's not nice. Emma, Snow and the Queen should be called women, not broads. ;)
Pretty big waste of Nana Visitor, unless the other queens all look alike. Also, for two episodes, I've wondered if the chief was the same guy as the bad guy, but at least now they've laid it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks