What's new

Dayton Audio Build it yourself subs (1 Viewer)

xPPRTxHOOLIGANx

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
I have searched around a bit and have not found any info on these (I didn't try as hard as I could have I won't lie) But are these subwoofers worth it? I am currently running with a 150 watt 10" JBL subwoofer, which actually in my small 12x16 room sounds real good, I have Polk monitor 60 fronts, monitor 30 rears and the matched polk center channel with a Denon receiver. I am not an audiophile but I wouldn't mind some bass that will hurt my chest from time to time. They offer a 240 watt 15" subwoofer that looks really interesting among a few others. I have no plans of doing component amps or anything to that effect, I just want some mind numbing bass (when I feel like reaching behind the unit to crank it up.) I keep the current JBL at half volume on the unit and at +/- 0 on the receiver for normal TV and Movie viewing, so I need a larger sub that will remain subtle for video sound unless I crank it. I could obviously see how a 15" subwoofer might be overpowering and leave a gap in the higher bass freq. :confused:range because of the sheer size. Thanks to the sound pros for reading, and any advice you may have will be appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wouldn't mind some bass that will hurt my chest from time to time.
I just want some mind numbing bass
These quotes are very subjective but in my opinion you can't get bass like you want from the PE kit you described. What is your total budget? Are you willing to build the enclosure to save more money?
I need a larger sub that will remain subtle for video sound unless I crank it.
You can easily do that with any sub. Upright, acoustic bass sounds like an acoustic bass on my system. Watching Terminator: Salvation at reference levels will make you think that you are being attacked by robots. Watching a live concert by Down will make you think that you have stepped into a mosh pit. I never adjust the relative volume of my sub though. I stays calibrated with the rest of the system. Properly set up, you should never have to adjust your sub volume.
I could obviously see how a 15" subwoofer might be overpowering and leave a gap in the higher bass freq. :confused:range because of the sheer size.
Wrong, wrong and wrong. I added an EQ to my sub so that it is flat from 100hz down to 17hz. I cross it over with my mains at 80hz so there is no gap. In fact after running my MCACC auto calibration, it is completely seamless. I could do the same with 18's if I wanted. The 21" sub I just got will easily play flat to 200hz if needed.

xPPRTxHOOLIGANx

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Wrong wrong and wrong, I love forums. 200hz? great 1 simple wrong would have been good. But here we go, I will not spend anymore than $400 on this subwoofer, I can absolutely build a speaker enclosure, and my HT sounds good, not as good as yours I'm certain but it's very clean, and for my ear it is plenty, as far as the subwoofer goes like I said $400 is my limit, and I want the most for my money. I liked your down reference, i am more of a Punk guy, but I do have a Machine head DVD I like to show my HT off with :D. The reasoning behind the $400 limit is that any more than that and I will be picking up a decent closeout Marantz receiver as the Denon I have is getting older, but it still works. I just want the most sub I can get for my money, so this little JBL 150 watt 10"er can rejoin it's JBL SCS companions in my den, where I only play Forza Motorsport 4 on the Xbox360 and that is all they are used for. The 80 watt JBL 8" subwoofer in there now isn't doing the job, but it was free.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1 simple wrong would have been good
I know but there are a lot of people who come here with myths and bad information that we have to correct. Don't take it personally because it's just based on what I've been through in the past.
I will not spend anymore than $400 on this subwoofer
We have a budget. How much space are you willing to give up for your sub? Based on Hoffman's Iron Law, the more space you give up the more efficient the sub. A quick example would be a sealed sub using a 15" driver and a pro amp. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-468 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-749 Yes, this is slightly more but I can find that amp for a little less and hit your budget. We can go anywhere from small, sealed to a massive horn loaded enclosure that will crush every $400 retail sub.

xPPRTxHOOLIGANx

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Great well I do have the parts express catalog, I rebuild guitar cabs and repair electronics on the side and I have always been an auto Chassis and electrical guy. So that's where I am getting my ideas the corner of my room where my JBL is located has quite a bit of space I would say nearly 4'x4' square, my main living room is very uncluttered just the TV/Sound system and a wrap around sectional and a small end table and a 45 gallon aquarium.

xPPRTxHOOLIGANx

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
But i would have to go for the plate style amp and sub enclosure, thats why I liked that DIY kit. I have no room in my TV stand for any more equipment, in fact on the TV side of the room I do not even have an outlet, so a subwoofer with built in amp would be the way I would need to lean. But I see how a completely sealed enclosure w/o any built in amplification would eliminate a variety of possible sound issues obviously, but, we have to keep in mind I'm working with POLK mains and not $800 (or more) a piece speakers, so I want it to blend. Are any of the component plate amplifiers any good or are they the Bose of Low Freq. amplifiers? (I love the bose hate around here! They have always sounded like junk, thats what made me sign up!)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm working with POLK mains and not $800 (or more) a piece speakers, so I want it to blend.
Blending is part of the setup after the construction.
Are any of the component plate amplifiers any good
All of the PE amps are good but the pro amps are a much better value. Why not just set the amp on top of the sub enclosure? If you go with a plate amp, the 240w model will do just fine. Since it has a subsonic filter (they all do), then a ported sub becomes a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks