What's new

ONE STEP BEYOND (Season 2) - when? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
OK, we were spoiled with a restored release of "One Step Beyond" (Season 1) a few years back. What happened? When can we expect Season 2 and beyond from CBS/Paramount? If not... what is the next best quality release I can obtain to get the entire show that looks descent on a HD set? Eric

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Eric Huffstutler said:
OK, we were spoiled with a restored release of "One Step Beyond" (Season 1) a few years back. What happened? When can we expect Season 2 and beyond from CBS/Paramount? If not... what is the next best quality release I can obtain to get the entire show that looks descent on a HD set? Eric
Season one sold poorly so who knows if or when we will get the last 2 seasons. The entire show isn't available as far as I know. As to how things look on an HD set, I've no idea. I wouldn't have an HD set if you gave me one.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Like so many of their titles CBS only remastered the first one or two seasons, in this case it's only the first. As always, I don't particularly care one way or the other if something's transferred to HD, it looks terrific when it is but I often find it looks good enough not remastered (save for Cannon). It's too bad that they're not coming out when so many fans want the shows, and that's depressing. Even Warners' not remastered archive way of The F.B.I. looks pretty good, if only they'd go that route there'd be no stopping them with so many popular titles.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Here's one reason it might not have sold well, based on personal observation: I saw exactly one (1) copy in one (1) store in my town -- Best Buy, as it happens -- and that's the one I bought, of course. I wasn't yet active on HTF, and the only reason I even knew about it was coming across it there. Just like I used to come across all kinds of wonderful finds, but don't get me started...

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
If the studio didn't promote the release and supply stores with copies to sell, how can they expect it to be a popular choice? Even if CBS doesn't release this (which makes no sense when they release many other titles they hold of lesser known series to some) and now at a much cheaper price point.... Hoping that someone like Shout! Factory will pick up on this and other series left hanging. I for one want the complete 3 seasons. And yes, in restored condition from the original 35mm masters, not worn out multi-generational 16mm garbage.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Honestly never heard of the show until the day Season 1 was released on DVD I was at Best Buy and they featured it on their new release rack, and I grabbed my phone checked it out online was intrugued. It was a blind buy, and I really love watching season 1 the image quality is really good.

I would buy season 2 + 3 for sure... but I don't think it got much push for sales besides fans word of mouth.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
For those who were born in the 1970s or 1980s, I doubt you will have heard of the show but for us old farts that remember this as well as seeing shows like The Twilight Zone and the original Outer Limits on TV, this is a must have for us.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I know I am probably beating a dead horse here but considering this isn't a huge multi-season show like "M*A*S*H", "I Love Lucy", "The Andy Griffith Show", it is only 3 seasons long so it wouldn't be a deep pocket investment by CBS-Paramount to release these. Or at least turn them over to someone who could finish the series off for the fans. That said, any news on the front for this OR any alternate offerings that look descent played on a large screen? And besides, retro television shows seem to be very popular right now. Our local NBC televesion network started the MeTV network that only shows retro TV shows 24 hours a day. These would fit in nicely. Eric

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Eric Huffstutler said:
For those who were born in the 1970s or 1980s, I doubt you will have heard of the show
I was born in December 1969 and knew about it for years. It was in reruns on WPIX in the mid '80s, and it was even run on the Sci-Fi Channel (with modern, computer-generated opening title sequence) the first few years that channel was on in the '90s.

Eric Huffstutler said:
I know I am probably beating a dead horse here but considering this isn't a huge multi-season show like "M*A*S*H", "I Love Lucy", "The Andy Griffith Show", it is only 3 seasons long so it wouldn't be a deep pocket investment by CBS-Paramount to release these. Or at least turn them over to someone who could finish the series off for the fans. That said, any news on the front for this OR any alternate offerings that look descent played on a large screen? And besides, retro television shows seem to be very popular right now. Our local NBC televesion network started the MeTV network that only shows retro TV shows 24 hours a day. These would fit in nicely. Eric
By the way, from your earlier post, the show looks very good upconverted to 1080p. The quality of the transfer lends itself to it very well. I hope someday they will release more of the show on DVD. My favorite episode, "The Clown", is among these unreleased episodes.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
It's very sad and unfortunate if it didn't do well in sales numbers, because it's a terrific little show that I enjoyed watching immensely. If they really should decide to go the archive route, and I certainly hope they will or we might never see some of their more rare titles, there's every good chance it'll appear that way one day too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks