What's new

TV Refresh Rate Problems.... (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Shawn Lilianstrom
I was recently at an undisclosed electronics store in my neck of the woods. I was looking at the TVs, because I'm looking for one. I like the idea of the 120/240hz TVs, but I was a little disheartened by the look. I was watching ESPN (on all TVs), and I saw more blur on those than on my 60hz set at home. I asked one of the sales guys about it, and he said its because they were using HDMI cables only rated to 60hz. So was the guy right or are the TVs just not set up properly, or maybe a combo?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
HDMI cables "rated" for higher refresh rates is complete and utter BS. Plain and simple.

Every consumer electronic video source (cable, satellite, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.) output NO MORE than a 60Hz signal. The conversion from 60 Hz to 120, 240, or higher is done COMPLETELY IN THE DISPLAY. The HDMI cable never carries the higher refresh rate signal.

The adverse effect (usually called the "soap opera effect") inherent to higher refresh rate TVs is really a result of frame interpolation which is a different matter than higher refresh rates.

Refresh rate simply refers to how frequently a single video "frame" is redrawn on the screen. Increasing the refresh rate can reduce "flicker" in a display.

Frame interpolation is the TVs attempt to create "intermediate" frames for each refresh that are intended to smooth out the motion between frames.

I am not a fan of any sort of interpolation (every manufacturer has a different "name" for the process, but "smooth" is usually in there somewhere). I would not purchase a display unless the frame interpolation was easily user-defeatable.

Generally speaking, don't listen to any salesman at a Big Box retailer ESPECIALLY when the topic of cables comes into play. They will flat out lie to you about all things cable related to get you to spend lots of $$.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Oh, and another one of my favorites is when they have a TV display set up where the left side of the screen is "60Hz" and the right side of the screen is "120Hz".

I just shake my head and move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks