Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Steve Jobs Isaacson bio out today, iBooks or real book

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,546 posts

Posted October 24 2011 - 06:32 AM

Not sure if this is an appropriate section to post this, or if another thread elsewhere exists for this, so move it if need be. I've not bought a book yet from iBooks and I figure the Isaacson bio of Steve Jobs would be one to get this way. Though I like to have real hardbound books. As long as the iBook ebook version has the same images and text I assume, then why not go with the iBooks version to read on the iPad! Anyone else getting it?

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted October 24 2011 - 07:26 AM

Definitely getting the eBook -- if you have doubts, just click on "sample" in iBooks and you'll see how the pictures are rendered in the first ~50 pages (exact number depends on the font size).

You get all the intros plus chapter 1.  The are a couple of pictures in the beginning and a few before Ch.1

Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,546 posts

Posted October 24 2011 - 07:36 AM

Thanks Ted, good point. I'm sure the pictures will look better in the ebook version. I have to wonder, at some point, when you buy a book, like blu rays and DVD's now, you get a code to download a digital copy, if the publishers will allow the same. Because that's the best of both worlds!

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,292 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 24 2011 - 09:04 AM

If I get it, it will be Kindle :)

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 24 2011 - 03:44 PM

Kindle version. Unless iBooks becomes a defacto industry standard I'm skipping it.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,546 posts

Posted October 24 2011 - 04:01 PM

Wow, you guys surprise me! :) I'm going to have to return the balance and go for the iBooks version. I saw the book at Costco today, but I held off buying it. As nice as it looks.

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted October 25 2011 - 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

Kindle version. Unless iBooks becomes a defacto industry standard I'm skipping it.

Unless end up buying one of those newfangled eInk touch screen Kindles next year for beach and other sunny reading, I have no doubts but that in its current state iBooks on the iPad is better software than Kindle on the iPad and I thus patronize iBooks.  iBooks also makes adding your own ePub (which Pages generates) or PDF material much easier.

Ideally, just like music they will all go DRM free one day.  Not holding my breath, though...

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 25 2011 - 05:25 AM

Hardcover.   Sorry,  I like having a house full of stacks of books.  And it's hard to get anyone to ever sign an e-Book I'd want to keep.   :) 

Now, where's that Christopher Moore novel next?

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted October 25 2011 - 05:43 AM

I got both. :blush:

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,546 posts

Posted October 25 2011 - 05:51 AM

I got both. :blush:

I'm leaning on doing both as well! The iBooks version downloaded fast and it's a nice way to read it on the iPad. Though I agree, I like to have real paper books around the house too.

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,069 posts

Posted October 25 2011 - 06:54 AM

I got rid of every paper book and magazine I own when I sold my house. Only exceptions were those that were signed gifts. Onward!

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,899 posts

Posted October 25 2011 - 08:09 AM

Quote:

I got rid of every paper book and magazine I own when I sold my house. Only exceptions were those that were signed gifts.
Onward!
I have way, way too many books that are not available in eBook form and many that probably never will be, like my vast L'Avant Scene du Cinema screenplay, pardon me: "decoupage integral" collection.  Even my favorite SciFi book, Fred Hoyle's The Black Cloud doesn't seem to have a legitimate eBook edition.

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,612 posts

Posted October 25 2011 - 10:30 AM

I wish publishers would adopt a model similar to what the movie companies are doing with DVDs and Blu-rays. I'd be willing to pay a little more to have both a hard copy and an ePub version. I see Ted made a similar comment so consider this one an amplification of his point.

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,042 posts

Posted October 25 2011 - 12:49 PM

Real book, from the library. I'll eventually get around to reading this but from the author's interviews the past few weeks it really does not appear to have anything new to say.

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts

Posted October 25 2011 - 01:11 PM

I got rid of every paper book and magazine I own when I sold my house. Only exceptions were those that were signed gifts.
Onward!

I can't tell you what a travesty that would be for me :(  I have hundreds of books.  Numerous 1960s SciFi paperbacks that may never be republished.   Originals signed.  Beautifully bound sets.  I know ebooks work for some people; personally, I find it hard to curl up in bed with one.  Nope, I would never give up my bookshelves.
I always think of the Outer Limits episode "Stream of Conciousness"

(FYI, thanks to MGM for putting the entire series up free on Youtube)

trakt.tv

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,546 posts

Posted October 25 2011 - 03:12 PM

And I of course was thinking of an episode of Star Trek!

Books, young man, books. Thousands of them. If time wasn't so important, I'd show you something. My library. Thousands of books

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,069 posts

Posted October 26 2011 - 03:41 AM

Understand that I am also a collector. Books, DVDs, Games, Game Systems, scout patches.... But my sentimentality is waning as I get older I guess. I like the story of Jobs returning to Apple and making them get rid of the museum, send it off to Stanford. Be appreciative of the past but don't wallow in it, that's me.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,292 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 26 2011 - 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

I can't tell you what a travesty that would be for me :(  I have hundreds of books.  Numerous 1960s SciFi paperbacks that may never be republished.   Originals signed.  Beautifully bound sets.  I know ebooks work for some people; personally, I find it hard to curl up in bed with one.  Nope, I would never give up my bookshelves.

OTOH, ebooks on tables stay open to the page being read, unlike paperbacks :)

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,069 posts

Posted October 26 2011 - 07:31 AM

I haven't gotten to this part in the book yet but it's great. Spoilers ahead: http://www.businessi...ve-jobs-2011-10

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts

Posted October 26 2011 - 07:44 AM

I think that's true of technological innovation.. not really literature.   I never found myself wallowing when I pick up a copy of Tolstoy or Grapes of Wrath.  The text will never change, shouldn't change, and so there is no further innovation needed.  Presentation may change, but I don't find enjoying a book to be wallowing in the past ;)

Understand that I am also a collector. Books, DVDs, Games, Game Systems, scout patches.... But my sentimentality is waning as I get older I guess. I like the story of Jobs returning to Apple and making them get rid of the museum, send it off to Stanford. Be appreciative of the past but don't wallow in it, that's me.

trakt.tv